Next Man of Steel Cast

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Next Man of Steel Cast

Post by Jim »

Marvel can do that because their actual characters are fun and well done. DC characters are boring and rather one dimensional. THey need to make tat gruff and have stupid voices just to try to make them somewhat interesting.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Well DC Comics itself has become grim, gritty, and "realistic." There was a story which involved the rape of a super-hero's wife. This was a retcon in an effort to make a goofy super-villain become a serious threat. Then that super-hero's wife was murdered by a plot that was all masterminded by the ex-wife of another super-hero because she wanted to make her ex-husband love her again. Wow.

Another story involves a beloved child character being crushed beneath rubble during a super-villain plot. The aftermath involves the two parents banging in grief, and the father eventually becomes The Punisher essentially.

Then there's the beloved Justice League who are now feared and distrusted by everyone. They're the X-Men apparently.

None of these things are fun. I used to read comics as an escape from reality. I don't need to read something that shows me rape and child death. I can see that on the news. DC movies are just too serious. I can understand Batman being serious. He saw his parents murdered. Everything else in that universe is a reaction to that violence. But holy shit when I saw Man of Steel and that scene where Pa Kent "sacrifices" his life for Clark's secret, in my head I was screaming, "No-no-no-no-no-no-no...." That was so unnecessary. Superman wants to help people because they are in danger. His Ma and Pa raised him to be a good man. It was that simple farm boy lifestyle that made him the beloved icon that he is in DC. Nothing to do with his Pa dying for a secret. Pa Kent basically told Clark, "Look carefully. I'm going to die because of you, Peter Clark.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

"What was I supposed to do? Just let them die?"
"Maybe."

That right there was a film-killing moment for me.

Now I'm not a comic book guy, never really read them. So my feelings for Superman have always been about the movies, TV shows, etc. But to me, the basic idea of Superman has always been that he's this godlike being, so powerful that he could rule the world as the ultimate tyrant if he wanted to. But the reason he doesn't is that he just happened to be found by the Kents, people who are salt of the Earth types. They're not big or important or anything, but they are good, decent people who brought Clark up with good old fashioned values. So Clark devotes himself to selflessly helping others.

It's why my all time favourite Superman scene is the one in the original movie where he runs home to beat his friend's car, and his dad sees. "Been showing off a bit haven't you, son?" And without ever raising his voice or really chastising Clark in any way, his dad quietly explains what he just did wrong. Scenes like that give Superman the background for why he turns out the way he does, why he is the hero he is.

And now we have a Superman whose father told him he should have left a busload of children to drown. Alrighty then.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:"What was I supposed to do? Just let them die?"
"Maybe."

Now I'm not a comic book guy, never really read them. So my feelings for Superman have always been about the movies, TV shows, etc. But to me, the basic idea of Superman has always been that he's this godlike being, so powerful that he could rule the world as the ultimate tyrant if he wanted to. But the reason he doesn't is that he just happened to be found by the Kents, people who are salt of the Earth types. They're not big or important or anything, but they are good, decent people who brought Clark up with good old fashioned values. So Clark devotes himself to selflessly helping others.

It's why my all time favourite Superman scene is the one in the original movie where he runs home to beat his friend's car, and his dad sees. "Been showing off a bit haven't you, son?" And without ever raising his voice or really chastising Clark in any way, his dad quietly explains what he just did wrong. Scenes like that give Superman the background for why he turns out the way he does, why he is the hero he is.

And now we have a Superman whose father told him he should have left a busload of children to drown. Alrighty then.
Buy you must admit it does fit with the new Superman that doesn't really give a f**k about who gets killed when he's fighting the other Kryptonians. :)
email, ergo spam
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

IanKennedy wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:"What was I supposed to do? Just let them die?"
"Maybe."

Buy you must admit it does fit with the new Superman that doesn't really give a f**k about who gets killed when he's fighting the other Kryptonians. :)
Zach Snyder. If it looks cool, do it!
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

"Let us re-define progress to mean that just because we can do a thing, it does not necessarily mean that we must do that thing" Federation President in Star Trek VI
email, ergo spam
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Batman-Superman Titled ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’
Warner Bros. has officially titled the Batman-Superman pic “Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice” with principal photography starting today in Detroit.

Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck star in the film with Zack Snyder directing. Pic also stars Gal Gadot as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, with Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane returning from “Man of Steel,” Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, Jeremy Irons as Alfred, and Holly Hunter.

Film is written by Chris Terrio, from a screenplay by David S. Goyer. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing.

Plot details are unknown.

Production will take place in Detroit as well as areas around Illinois; Africa; and the South Pacific. Film is set to bow May 6, 2016.

The title seems to hint as an origin tale for the untitled “Justice League” film that Snyder has already committed to direct and the majority of the cast is expected to appear in.
:roll:
Maybe they will fight each other until the Sun rises ans Justice arrives?! :?
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

And for laughs: The Best Twitter Responses: ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Title Announcement

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. Four ideas overstuffed into one title, so it’s probably very fitting for the movie.
That comes after “Twilight of Truth” and before “Mid Afternoon of The American Way”
Also shouldn't it be called "Batman vs. Superman: Diana of Justice"? Who the fuck is Dawn?
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

They are just basically following the Dark Knight idea of the DC universe where being a super hero isn't comic book like pun intended. A fight of the caliber with Superman and someone just as powerful as him will have massive destruction which is common in the comic books. The development of Young Clark Kent I do agree with. Though I am Foggy on the scene with Jonathan Kent' death by tornado, I kinda vaguely remember he did it to protect Clark's secret as Clark saving him would have revealed it to many people. Or at least that is what they should have done.

I saw and still see the mistrust of Superman by the military and perhaps even others as realistic. Especially after the events in Man of Steel.

Now having Batman team up with Superman really doesn't make any sense realistically. All of the three Batman movies would have been ten minute affairs if Superman was there. Batman has nothing special on him right now to put him in a even match or remotely close match for Superman even intelligence wise. In the comics they give him artistic license so they make Batman faster and stronger than a normal human even despite being human. Basically he is Captain America but instead of a serum it is his super massive will power that makes him like that.

That reminds me, they did a comic where Batman has a Green Lantern ring. The strongest will power and perhaps one of the most brilliant tacticians in DC getting something that thrives off of that sort of skill.

Anyway, it will be hard to give Batman anything without making him different from other movie Batman's before him. He would basically need a Batman shaped Iron Man suit which is what he sometimes uses for super powered villains.

Wonder Woman I can see being done but I think it will be harder her origin story could easily be seen as a ripoff of Thor.

I think they are doing it so it is not seen as a direct ripoff off of Avengers buildup.

I still have mixed feelings with Affleck as Batman.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There's actually a few parodies around of just how useless Batman would likely be around real Superheroes...

Example

Part 2
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Graham Kennedy wrote:There's actually a few parodies around of just how useless Batman would likely be around real Superheroes...

Example

Part 2
These are awesome. I also use this debate on Black Widow and Hawkeye on the Avengers. Hulk, Iron Man and Thor... getting backup from a guy with arrows and a woman with a pair of 9mm. :bangwall: *<:*)X
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Nutso wrote: Image
:laughroll:
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nice!
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Lois will be upset!
email, ergo spam