New Godzilla...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Godzilla...

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So they've been making a new Godzilla movie for a while now. From what I hear everyone is very determined not to repeat the "Godzilla in name only" of the last one, and try and get the spirit of the thing right. Very few details are about, though, so it's hard to say.

We do have some promo art :

And now a still image :

Whilst that doesn't show much, it does kind of make Godzilla look big and angry and dangerous, which I like. I'm no well versed in Godzilla mythos but I never did like how he ducked and dived and ran away from the military in the last film. That's not Godzilla... Godzilla does not hide from the military, Godzilla smashes the military into a bloody pulp!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: New Godzilla...

Post by McAvoy »

Anything is better than the American version.

I like the promo art though
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I Didnt really know Godzila had a plt, raditation+Lizard=Big angry lizard killing people.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I am psyched about this movie. I might have to watch a few Godzilla movies this weekend just for the heck of it. Some of the newer ones I have only seen once, like Tokyo SOS...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I actually didn't mind the American version. If you don't focus on it being "Godzilla" and just take it for a big monster movie its decent.

That said, I'm excited for a proper one again.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

So what is a "proper" Godzilla movie?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:So what is a "proper" Godzilla movie?
Ideally it has two things. One, Godzilla as a force of nature that is unstoppable as far as humans are concerned. He's like the Borg - you do not defeat Godzilla so much as hope he will decide to go away and that you will survive him until he does.

Two, he usually fights other giant monsters. Oddly enough this makes Godzilla kind of the hero figure sometimes since he often stops monsters from attacking us. But really he just seems to be of the opinion that humans are there for him to torment, dammit, and no other monster can muscle in on his playthings!

I want two things from the movie... massive, and I mean MASSIVE property damage, on a scale comparable to that seen in Man of Steel... and Godzilla and at least one other giant monster fighting one another in epic awesome badass ways.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

3... he is a guy in a rubber suit!
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Best way to sum it up, in the 1990's Godzilla movie when the military opened fire on him Godzilla roared, then turned and ran like a bitch. In a proper Godzilla movie he roars, then kills every motherfucker within reach and drops a few buildings.

Pacific Rim is more of a Godzilla movie than the 1990's Godzilla.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Yeah and GINO dies because some rockets hit him. Godzilla wouldn't have died because of rockets. Even the original 1954 movie, it took a new WMD to destroy him. He's supposed to be an unstoppable force representing man's toying with nature. Not just a giant lizard. Godzilla eventually became a monster vs monster flick, which we all loved no matter how stupid.

By the way, I want a Jet Jaguar movie.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:Best way to sum it up, in the 1990's Godzilla movie when the military opened fire on him Godzilla roared, then turned and ran like a bitch. In a proper Godzilla movie he roars, then kills every motherfucker within reach and drops a few buildings.

Pacific Rim is more of a Godzilla movie than the 1990's Godzilla.
Also the weapons actually hurt him in that movie. Man made weapons hardly ever hurts Godzilla.

I looked at the concept drawings that I think came from Comic Con and he looks like a more badass version of the original.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But to be fair, weapons from the 50's and weapons now are a lot different, we have bombs that can tunnel though 20 ffet of croncret, is there any, even semi plausible way to not have him be hurt by these weapons? Cruise missles? The shockwave alone would mess with him.

No scale armor could stop them unless they are made of Adamantium or Neutronium.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Is there an even semi-plausible way for him to exist in the first place? No.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:But to be fair, weapons from the 50's and weapons now are a lot different, we have bombs that can tunnel though 20 ffet of croncret, is there any, even semi plausible way to not have him be hurt by these weapons? Cruise missles? The shockwave alone would mess with him.

No scale armor could stop them unless they are made of Adamantium or Neutronium.

He is Godzilla.

Technically the 50's did have weapons that could penetrate 30 feet of concrete. Battleship guns.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Teaos wrote:But to be fair, weapons from the 50's and weapons now are a lot different, we have bombs that can tunnel though 20 ffet of croncret, is there any, even semi plausible way to not have him be hurt by these weapons? Cruise missles? The shockwave alone would mess with him.

The 90's version of Godzilla wasn't immune to damage but rather he just healed up real fast, like Wolverine. Godzilla's cells were called G-Cell and all kinds of crazy shit could happen with them. For example the monster named Destroyah is made from a combination of the Oxygen Destroyer + G-Cells somehow mutating to create new life.

The thing in Godzilla (1998) was just a giant dinosaur, not a nuclear powered demon with regeneration and nuke breath. I expect resistance to conventional weapons from a monster called Godzilla.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park