Steven Spielberg Predicts 'Implosion' of Film Industry

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Steven Spielberg Predicts 'Implosion' of Film Industry

Post by McAvoy »

There is this shitty theater by me, perhaps one of the first theater in the area that had more than two or three screens. The chairs are old school elementary style chairs that require you to lean on a butt cheek every 15 minutes or so and rotate. Anyway, same exact price for a ticket there as the more high end ones. On top of that, around 8:00pm or so, they switch to ethnic movies. Saturday I believe is Indian night.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

IanKennedy wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:Yeah, I have to say if it was my $200 million I was putting into a movie, I'd want to be pretty damn certain that I got it back and then some. Audience satisfaction be damned.
Surely the way you get it back is to not take the attitude "Audience satisfaction be damned" :)
Actually, that's not necessarily so. I'm reminded of an interview with a guy who makes trailers, and they asked him why trailers so often present an image of a film that's very inaccurate, or gives away major spoilers, etc. His response was "The second you buy a ticket, I've been successful at my job. Whether you like or hate the film is simply not my problem."

If enough people pay for tickets to put the film into profit, a studio could care less if they all walk out hating it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

GrahamKennedy wrote: Actually, that's not necessarily so. I'm reminded of an interview with a guy who makes trailers, and they asked him why trailers so often present an image of a film that's very inaccurate, or gives away major spoilers, etc. His response was "The second you buy a ticket, I've been successful at my job. Whether you like or hate the film is simply not my problem."

If enough people pay for tickets to put the film into profit, a studio could care less if they all walk out hating it.
Until they stop trusting you and stop buying your product. ;) That happened with me and Star Wars, mind. I know I'm infinitesimal, but they still don't get MY money.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote: Actually, that's not necessarily so. I'm reminded of an interview with a guy who makes trailers, and they asked him why trailers so often present an image of a film that's very inaccurate, or gives away major spoilers, etc. His response was "The second you buy a ticket, I've been successful at my job. Whether you like or hate the film is simply not my problem."

Until they stop trusting you and stop buying your product. ;) That happened with me and Star Wars, mind. I know I'm infinitesimal, but they still don't get MY money.

That can only work for so long too. I mean we do not associate bad films with studios as much as directors and actors.

But people will watch absolute shit films like the Twilight movies...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

*Sigh* True, true. "This is the skin of a killer!" *Sparkle* :picard:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:*Sigh* True, true. "This is the skin of a killer!" *Sparkle* :picard:
Sparkle. Sparkle.

Plus the magnificent acting skills in the movies.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

That's so wooden you could build a sailing ship from it! :madashell:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:*Sigh* True, true. "This is the skin of a killer!" *Sparkle* :picard:
My wife has forced me into watching most of these movies with her. She knows they suck but she wants to see them anyway. I died laughing when they line came up. "FEAR MY BEDAZZLED BODY!"

I was so proud of myself with this last movie. I didn't make comments, I hardly laughed at all, then in the end fight when Bella does... whatever it is my wife says, "Carebear STARE!" and I lost it. The last movie is amazing in how many interesting plot lines it brings up then just fucking ignores. I think you really do have to watch it to appreciate just how amazingly bad it is.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

The sad part is... some of the side-characters, I actually really like. If in potential than nothing else.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote: "FEAR MY BEDAZZLED BODY!"

That's actually a line in it? You can't be serious.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I think he was just exaggerating.

I hope he was just exaggerating.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well the one line I remember was in the first movie when she marked a few things off of a mental checklist and then asks if he is a vampire. The setup and the delivery to me is what personifies the movies: bullshit.

I had to watch with the promise of sex. I got no sex and I am fairly sure I wouldn't make the same choice again.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The sad part is... some of the side-characters, I actually really like. If in potential than nothing else.
That's the killer. It's like this was all the most boring side story in some much more interesting vampire movie. The whole idea behind the Vulturi and how they controlled everyone else and used them to keep themselves in power had the makings of a very interesting vampire movie.

The two Russian vampires, aside from being comically stereotypical (which pretty much every one in the movie was) likewise had an interesting medieval/gothic backstory that tied them into the Vulturi. The vampire Avatar with his family and how they were desperate to stay hidden, interesting.

And these are the kinds of plotlines the movie did everything it could to avoid. It ran from them as fast as it could. Hell, even the idea of a vampire child and the backstory of why vampires aren't allowed to have them was interesting and in this movie you had to be told how much Bella and... Ed(?) loved her because the two never did shit with her. The movie ends, and it doesn't even have her with her parents. It has them by themselves, talking about how much they love each other, when the last two movies have been about nothing but this damn kid and they didn't even have her in the final scene she just... disappears.
Tsukiyumi wrote:That's actually a line in it? You can't be serious.
No, it's not a line, just an inescapable conclusion. His whole demeanor and lines leading up to the moment were this over acting tortured emo and I believe the actual line is, "Look at the skin of a MONSTER!" and the motherfucker yanks open his shirt while standing in a sunbeam and fucking sparkles. That is not an exaggeration. Sparkle-pires is dead on what happens. They actually have his entire body glittering like a rhinestoned tiara. This was supposed to be this big dramatic moment and all I could think about was that someone had bedazzled the asshole.

I am not kidding when I say you need to sit down and watch these movies to appreciate just how amazingly bad they are and then reflect upon how popular they are inspite of it. Then, THEN you will understand why the movie industry is, and deserves to be, dying.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

There are some movies I'm glad I never had even the slightest inclination to watch.
email, ergo spam