Warner Bros confirms Superman/Batman movie for 2015

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Warner Bros confirms Superman/Batman movie for 2015

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's official: following the rumours that were swirling just a few hours ago, Warner Bros has confirmed that 2015 will see Batman and Superman together in the same live action movie (in effect finally realising an idea that was being developed around a decade ago, when Wolfgang Petersen was earmarked to direct).

The official announcement confirms that the studio's Man Of Steel follow-up will bring back Henry Cavill as Superman, with an as yet uncast actor taking on the role of Batman.

Zack Snyder is co-writing the story to the film with Man Of Steel scribe David S Goyer, and the latter will then pen the screenplay for the movie. Production on the Superman/Batman movie will then begin in 2014, with a summer 2015 release date targeted.

Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas step back to executive producer roles on the new film, so as expected, it's not going to be their take on Batman that moves forward. Emma Thomas said that "Whilst our Dark Knight trilogy is complete, we have every confidence that Zack’s fresh interpretation will take the character in a new and exciting direction. His vision for Superman opened the door to a whole new universe and we can’t wait to see what Zack does with these characters".
Source

:shock:

Not sure if this will work...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Re: Warner Bros confirms Superman/Batman movie for 2015

Post by Griffin »

Well, it worked in the Comics and the Animated series, it COULD work.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Not sure if this will work...
Nonetheless, I could see this coming as soon as it was announced that Nolan was producing Man of Steel. I still wouldn't rule out Bale's Batman.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Ah, World's Finest. :D Semi-inevitable after Man Of Steel.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The Animated Series did a fine job on a crossover. I always liked the scene where Superman x rayed Batman to find out who he was. Batman then escaped but followed Superman back to his apartment. Kinda cool scene for a young teenager.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

That was a great crossover film. Although again, they did take out half the city in the end battle.

Been re-watching odd episodes of Batman TAS. Still gets me how well written the show was.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Does this meant that Superman is going to start talking in a gravely, gruff joke of a voice as well?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I can just see it now:

Batman: "Superman you go after them while I... oh, never mind you done everything and there's nothing left for me to do..."
email, ergo spam
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

They announced it with a quote from Miller's "Dark Knight Returns."

In other words, a Superman VS. Batman movie. Ugh.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah... gotta wonder exactly what Batman has to offer that Superman wouldn't make superfluous.

Just picturing in my head any given scene from the entire Nolan Batman trilogy... if Superman had been along any one of them would have ended right quick. Mental image of Bane starting one of his oddly voiced monologues only to be dragged off to prison half way through the first word.

Or if Batman had been around in Man of Steel he'd have contributed... what, exactly? I suppose he could do the Lois Lane bit of having things explained to him all the time.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's sort of a sticking point in the comics canon. It's explained away in the comics as most other superheros thinking Batman is fucking crazy and just one short step above the villains he fights. They all stay away from Gotham because Bats usually has it handled and he's pretty much threatened all of them to stay out.

Which is still kind of patently ridiculous. The problem always comes when you start to mix him in with people like Superman, Wonderwoman, Green Lantern. No matter how you twist it, he's still just a regular guy who knows Judo and has a grappling gun in the company of people who can juggle asteroids. It sort of works if you just make Batman the brains of the group, directing the others but it's still kinda flimsy.

It all goes to hell the second you have them square off though.

I could be talking out of my ass here, but you just rebooted Superman. He managed to be really NOT Superman for the entirety of the reboot movie and kill someone on his first day on the job. Now for his second outing you're going to have him fighting another superhero? Let the guy get established, let him act like Superman for a movie before you start having him fight another hero.

So we're looking at two movies where Superman tries to hide his gifts, then destroys half of Metropolis fighting a villain, winds up killing said villain, and is now going to jump right in to fighting Batman. This guy is not Superman.
Last edited by Tyyr on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

This reminds me of my position on Black Widow in the Avengers. Ironman - armor, flight, strength, high energy weapons. Thor - demi-god, strength, lightning. Hulk - potential apex physical character. Black Widow - um... 9mm Glocks...?

"Hey... we're okay... Widow is here with her reliable but low power handguns."
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I actually think they were Walther P99's but yeah. Black Widow's strengths don't rely lie in mixing it up with the people you need superheros to fight. One of the better things Joss did was get Widow out of the superpower melee and up on the roof. Same with her intro, worked well for her. In the end though when it was time to slug it out it she was not much help.

Though I'd toss Hawkeye in there too, once the dude's out of arrows he's just left beating people with his bow and the guy doesn't carry many arrows.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Actually if it was a fight between Superman and Batman then I agree that its pretty dumb. Plenty of memes out there that demonstrates that. But if you do it where they team up. For example a villain like Brainiac for example with strength on par with Superman and much more intelligent but you require Batman to figure it out.

Or you could have Batman wear a Batman/Iron Man suit like he does in the comics.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Is Batman actually meant to be this super genius level guy, though? At least in the latest trilogy, he never won through by outwitting his opponents. He doesn't even build his own inventions, Fox and his company does that. Why would Batman be any smarter than Superman?