From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Iron Sky

Post by Tyyr »

Moon Nazis.

Let that sink in.

Ok, this is a... dark comedy(?) based off the idea that in 1945 the Nazi's developed anti-grav tech at their Antarctic research lab. The downside, they had pretty much lost the war at that point so rather than go down with the ship they built a ship, loaded it up with enough Aryan uber-menches to get a new society going, and fled to the dark side of the moon. Fast forward 65 years and President... ummm, we'll just call her Palin, that's who she is, sends a publicity stunt to the Moon which is also looking for Helium-3. The downside is that they land on the dark side and discover the Moon Nazis.

The resulting movie is a combination of satire, parody, and comedy that really delivers. It pokes fun at pretty much everyone, including the Finns. One of the more interesting notes about it is that this entire movie was made for about $10 million, the equivalent of the Avengers catering budget.

Anyone else seen it? If you haven't then it's worth a rent at the very least.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Iron Sky

Post by Mikey »

It's about damn time somebody took those Finns down a peg.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Yes, Graham and I have seen it and it's 'not bad'. That is to say it's very bad in a reasonably funny way.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I thought about watching it but decided not to at the time. Walmart had it for sale for I think $15 on DVD.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote:I thought about watching it but decided not to at the time. Walmart had it for sale for I think $15 on DVD.
I'm not sure I would pay that much for it ;)
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Ahhh good to know then. I will wait for it go in the $5 bin then.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Il iked it a lot less than Ian did. I thought it had real potential as an idea, and it did a few things right, but it was really muddled and messy in a lot of parts. And there was way too much 'homage' for my liking - did we really need to see the 1,000,001st parody of the Hitler Downfall bunker scene in a studio release?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Il iked it a lot less than Ian did. I thought it had real potential as an idea, and it did a few things right, but it was really muddled and messy in a lot of parts. And there was way too much 'homage' for my liking - did we really need to see the 1,000,001st parody of the Hitler Downfall bunker scene in a studio release?
That was in the movie? I mean I always enjoyed it when someone did a good one like the Game of Thrones.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Is it kind of like "When Mars Attacks" in terms of goofy humor?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

A little less goofy then Mars Attacks but a fairly similar tone.

I'd buy it at $15, I bought it at $13.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:That was in the movie? I mean I always enjoyed it when someone did a good one like the Game of Thrones.

Yep.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

I didn't really like it. It had great potential and imho the production values were very good....but the story simply was crap. It is very clear that they started with a very basic idea (Nazis survived on the moon and start a mars attack) and enough story for a trailer, and then made the film making stuff up as they go.

In the end, it IS a remarkable achievement considering the small budget but the screenplay tried to be to much and as a result wasn't anything and feels like 10 different people worked on it with no clear direction as to what they want the movie to be.

What ruined the movie for me is that it started with making a big deal with the americans returning to the moon. Great start, great beginning. And a few moments later, every fucking nation has a spaceship in orbit which can reach moon in a matter of minutes. It completely negated the first half or so of the movie and ruined the space nazis as an even semi-credible-threat. The whole Helium 3/oil comparison was well blunter than blunt and the female president would have worked better if she wasn't such a crude Palin parody, a woman probably noone will remember much in a few years (hopefully)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.