Man of steel (spoilers)

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Man of steel (spoilers)

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

This film isn't Superman II. It's not fair to judge the different behavior of Superman/Kal El without also considering the different problems posed by Zod, Non and Faora. In this version, these three supervillains with powers equal to Superman's are out for a mission of a much larger scale. They also now armed with technology they didn't have in Superman II and they directly threaten the survival of the entire human species. These versions of Zod and co act differently as much as Superman himself does compared to the original film version. They're not focused singularly on fighting Superman, as that's just one step on a larger plan that doesn't include Homo Sapiens. A different enemy needs different tactics to defeat.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Okay, that poster? 129,000 confirmed dead? Sorry, dubious at best.

And Superman did save soldiers several times. And Faora commented that his morality was a weakness. It just got to the point that he was double-teamed or fighting a being that was roughly equal to his powers and was better-trained AND basically had a death wish and was trying to commit suicide-by-cop at that point.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:This film isn't Superman II. It's not fair to judge the different behavior of Superman/Kal El without also considering the different problems posed by Zod, Non and Faora. In this version, these three supervillains with powers equal to Superman's are out for a mission of a much larger scale. They also now armed with technology they didn't have in Superman II and they directly threaten the survival of the entire human species. These versions of Zod and co act differently as much as Superman himself does compared to the original film version. They're not focused singularly on fighting Superman, as that's just one step on a larger plan that doesn't include Homo Sapiens. A different enemy needs different tactics to defeat.
None of which really goes to the issue of why Supes suddenly and completely flips from "meh, who cares" to "Nooooo! Don't kill the innocents!"
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Okay, that poster? 129,000 confirmed dead? Sorry, dubious at best.
Yes, I agree, it would be far higher than that. A significant part of south easy asia was destroyed. That area of the world is very densely populated. 129,000 would be grossly underestimated.
And Superman did save soldiers several times. And Faora commented that his morality was a weakness. It just got to the point that he was double-teamed or fighting a being that was roughly equal to his powers and was better-trained AND basically had a death wish and was trying to commit suicide-by-cop at that point.
Ooo a part of the film that was so feeble it almost didn't exist. They taunted him and nothing became of it. His realisation in STII was far more significant.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:This film isn't Superman II. It's not fair to judge the different behavior of Superman/Kal El without also considering the different problems posed by Zod, Non and Faora. In this version, these three supervillains with powers equal to Superman's are out for a mission of a much larger scale. They also now armed with technology they didn't have in Superman II and they directly threaten the survival of the entire human species. These versions of Zod and co act differently as much as Superman himself does compared to the original film version. They're not focused singularly on fighting Superman, as that's just one step on a larger plan that doesn't include Homo Sapiens. A different enemy needs different tactics to defeat.
But that isn't the point. They point is he just doesn't give a damn for people in this film. It's not just during the fight it's all the way through the film. The only point at which he even thinks about people is in the train station. A scene so jarring it almost ruined the entire film for me. It was a change so striking as to make Janeway look positively consistent.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Well, Ian, sorry, but Superman's never been perfect, even in the Reeves movies.
Perfect in what way? He's always had compassion for humanity. Hope Boy doesn't. He's always tried to do the right thing and lead by example, Hope Boy has been brought up by Kevin Costner to hide and do nothing, just in case the scary humans shun him or something.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I watched the 1978 Superman movie the other day. It's absolutely amazing just how damn GOOD that film is in so many ways. It's got a good story, good characters, good acting... builds up to a superb climax. And tell me you don't want to cheer when he catches that helicopter!

Saw Man of Steel today. I still don't claim it's TERRIBLE, but it's mediocre.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

i almost mworship the first two Reeves movies... and I still love this one. Because Superman is 75 years old and he's been a LOT of things over the years.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Saw it again this weekend with Graham. I slept through most of it. It's just that dull.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

He's not exaggerating. I had to poke him awake like five times. :poke:
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

*Hands over a pillow and bucket of water* :happydevil:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I watched the 1978 Superman movie the other day. It's absolutely amazing just how damn GOOD that film is in so many ways. It's got a good story, good characters, good acting... builds up to a superb climax. And tell me you don't want to cheer when he catches that helicopter!

The movie is slow in its build up. You got comical villains and I am not talking like The Joker villain but comic villains.

The whole movie rests squarely on Christopher Reeves shoulders.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:I watched the 1978 Superman movie the other day. It's absolutely amazing just how damn GOOD that film is in so many ways. It's got a good story, good characters, good acting... builds up to a superb climax. And tell me you don't want to cheer when he catches that helicopter!

The movie is slow in its build up. You got comical villains and I am not talking like The Joker villain but comic villains.

The whole movie rests squarely on Christopher Reeves shoulders.
But to be fair, he could more than carry it.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

True. True.

That is why the movies are remembered so fondly by many and why Christopher Reeves will always be the Gold standard of Superman to be compared to.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I don't think I've seen a Superman movie I actually enjoyed.