Pacific Rim

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Pacific Rim

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tyyr wrote:They posted some of the "stats" of the various giant mechs on their Facebook page and based off their own official posts Australia kicks everyone's ass. The thing is fast, armored, and armed and has killed 11 kaiju to everyone else's combined 15. Japan, father of both giant mecha and giant monsters? Weakest mech and only 2 kills.

^ lol Austrialia having the best mechs.

And wow, I remember the first time I saw the trailer I was like "wait was that Glados?????????????????"

Wow...

Does look pretty awesome tho.

"WE ARE CANCELLING THE APOCALYPZEEEEEEEEEEEE" :mrgreen:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yes, it is GLaDOS, Valve loaned her out to Guillermo.

Think about it though, Austrailians are naturally resistant to attacks from animals that would kill anyone else. Imagine a giant mecha piloted by Steve Irwin.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

How the heck do they pilot those things? It seems you have two pilots per jaeger but it seems both are doing exactly the same thing. Walking in sync for example were you would expect that one is piloting I don't know...upper body-lower body, body-weapons systems etc.

But we see two pilots moving their feet and hands....what for? From which pilot does the robot takes input? Both? Why? If not and one is only a backup...why move at all when not needed? Am I overthinking things?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

My impression was that the two pilots we see are piloting two different robots.

Though I gather from a featurette I saw that the different nations build different designs, som epiloted by noe person, others by more - the Chinese one has three pilots, a set of triplets. Presumably each does a different thing in that case.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I thought it's supposed to be a neural link or some such; both pilots minds work together to control the Jaeger.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I've never seen it - but are the ordnances that these things carry called "Jaeger bombs?"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

They better be.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I watched the con footage with Guillermo (who is the only reason I'm as stoked about this as I am) and his explanation is that the input from a Jaeger is too much for a single mind and would fry it. So they need two to handle all the input, but as a consequence need two people who are compatible and can mesh to control the Jaeger. That's also why the Chinese use three, they have a set of triplets perfectly set up to mesh so they went with it.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Tyyr wrote:I watched the con footage with Guillermo (who is the only reason I'm as stoked about this as I am) and his explanation is that the input from a Jaeger is too much for a single mind and would fry it. So they need two to handle all the input, but as a consequence need two people who are compatible and can mesh to control the Jaeger. That's also why the Chinese use three, they have a set of triplets perfectly set up to mesh so they went with it.
Sounds like a design issue there. I'd expect the first design was a 2-person Jaeger, where one person handles the movement, primary target, etc, and the second handles the sensors, comms, etc. Like modern combat platforms (tanks, planes, etc).

To make the shared memory plot useful, have the critters give off a 'field' that interferes with most of the crews. You have to find the people who can form a link based on a shared memory, as that allows them to still communicate properly. Maybe the field causes their memories to merge, and their brains fry trying to integrate two sets of memories. By having a common memory, they can link using that memory, and the field has much less effect on them.

How does that alien field work? Unfortunately far too well.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

As much as I usually detest the idea of just turning off your brain and going with it, it's a Guillermo del Toro movie with giant stompy robots and Kaiju. I just really don't care all that much about trying to nit pick the science.

Hell, you want something? 2,500 tons is ridiculously lightweight for something the size these things are. About an order of magnitude light.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

This makes me want them to retry a live Gundam movie...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

stitch626 wrote:This makes me want them to retry a live Gundam movie...
Retry? They tried?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yeah, its called G Savior.

It wasn't... horrible. It was ok, it sort of followed the style of the series. But they used all new characters, so there was very little tie in.

The suits were sexy though, even though it was in the late 90s.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Just gonna throw this out there but the idea of two pilots better than one?

Scientifically Accurate