Jurassic Park 3D

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Jurassic Park 3D

Post by Tyyr »

After swearing off 3D movies for all time (seriously, I'm about to buy some 2D Glasses for when the good theaters with digital projectors are all doing nothing but 3D.) they decided to do Jurassic Park in 3D. *UGH* I have yet to see a 3D movie where I felt the 3D effect added ANYTHING but another $3 to the price for glasses I don't even get to keep. Then you have issues with glasses being scratched, foggy, or just gross. Even when it does work you have to keep your head level or everything starts getting fuzzy. No, no, fuck your 3D. It's just a way to stick us for a bit more money at the box office.

Movies not shot in 3D should not be made into 3D. Even Jurassic Park. Movies shot in 3D at least have a realistic depth to them. Movies in 2D, not so much. You get the cardboard cutout effect. Rather than a smooth perception of depth things have very definite depth level. A human in profile is at least a foot wide, usually more. Well when you post-convert that 12 to 18 inch wide human is now perfectly flat. They might feel like they're five feet from something else but they are perfectly flat, in front of a flat background, with other flat things talking to them. Then there's the fuzziness of fast moving objects, things going out of focus, and of course just the fact that it's not made for 3D. Perfect example, the Dilophosaurus? Spits it's venom AWAY from you. If it was shot in 3D the venom would have come at you, but it was never meant to be 3D. It fucking sucks, it's a money grab. But it's Jurassic Park, in IMAX.

So yeah, after shitting all over 3D movies, especially post conversions, I went and saw it anyways. It's Jurassic Park on a screen the size of of an apartment building. There are somethings I will compromise my morals for.

The movies, well it's Jurassic Park. There's no moment where I'm not being entertained or enjoying myself. It's an awesome movie. It was worth it.

The 3D was... better than average for a post conversion, but it's still post conversion 3D. There are some points in time where the cardboard cutout effect is hilariously pronounced. Seriously, the amber mine. Two guys right in the foreground and nothing behind them but a distant background. They shouldn't have touched it and just left it 2D. And so much of the movie just isn't good for 3D and then sometimes they must have felt they needed to emphasize that it was 3D so they hyper pronounced somethings like foreground leaves and vines. On the whole, it's Jurassic Park so it's awesome, just accept that the 3D is gonna kinda be pointless and or suck balls.

Or just get some 2D Glasses.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Jurassic Park 3D

Post by Teaos »

I can always tell when a movie is custom made for 3D, they go out of their way to throw stuff at the camera. But just thinking back on Jurassic park... it has a lto fo scenes that I would imagin would do well in 3D, the T-Rex chase and the V-Raptor jumping on the main hunter.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I would think it too dark for the 3-D to work well.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

T-Rex worked but none of the raptor 3D stuff really stood out for me. The darkness wasn't an issue. I think they may have lightened the whole film some anticipating that.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Teaos wrote:I can always tell when a movie is custom made for 3D, they go out of their way to throw stuff at the camera. But just thinking back on Jurassic park... it has a lto fo scenes that I would imagin would do well in 3D, the T-Rex chase and the V-Raptor jumping on the main hunter.
And the electrocuted kid flying off the fence at you
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I saw the Hobbit in 3D. Gave me a headache towards the end. Are we in the 50's again? :?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

That may have been the higher frame rate rather than the 3D.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

I quite enjoyed JP in 3D and I thought the conversion was pretty good.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

For a post conversion it was very well done. It's still a post conversion 3D film though.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Saw it, enjoyed it in 3D. While worth seeing once, I wouldn't pay to see it twice in 3D.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu