Man of Steel Trailer 2

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Man of Steel Trailer 2

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Here

Hmmmm... looks like they're going to do a fair bit of "Smallville"-style young Clark. And is that Zod?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Man of Steel Trailer 2

Post by Jim »

Kneel before Zod!

Looks rather good. One of my big dislikes of Superman is that his main villain is just a guy... Luthor. You have potentially the apex superhero and his #1 advisory is just a smarter than average egomaniac.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I guess there's some interest to the brains v brawn thing, but it's kind of let down for me by the fact that Luthor only even lives because Supes won't kill him. Seriously, he keeps capturing him and he keeps getting away or getting out of prison or whatever. I know they like to depict Superman as this shining moral example to the rest of us, but there's a limit! Sooner or later Superman looks like a doofus for not just pulling Luthor's head off next time they're in a room together.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I guess there's some interest to the brains v brawn thing, but it's kind of let down for me by the fact that Luthor only even lives because Supes won't kill him. Seriously, he keeps capturing him and he keeps getting away or getting out of prison or whatever. I know they like to depict Superman as this shining moral example to the rest of us, but there's a limit! Sooner or later Superman looks like a doofus for not just pulling Luthor's head off next time they're in a room together.
All Superman would have to do is sneeze, which would blow Luthor's body to bits... and then just say that something went up his nose and made him sneeze... "my bad!"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I guess there's some interest to the brains v brawn thing, but it's kind of let down for me by the fact that Luthor only even lives because Supes won't kill him. Seriously, he keeps capturing him and he keeps getting away or getting out of prison or whatever. I know they like to depict Superman as this shining moral example to the rest of us, but there's a limit! Sooner or later Superman looks like a doofus for not just pulling Luthor's head off next time they're in a room together.
All Superman would have to do is sneeze, which would blow Luthor's body to bits... and then just say that something went up his nose and made him sneeze... "my bad!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Come on a bit of class please, at least throw him into the sun. That way he might mutate, get super powers and become a real villan.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Not feeling this too much. It's good but doesn't grab me.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Interesting. It looks like instead of people embracing Superman when he first appears, they are afraid of him. So I guess this movie will show how Superman is embraced after a long struggle.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

McAvoy wrote:Interesting. It looks like instead of people embracing Superman when he first appears, they are afraid of him. So I guess this movie will show how Superman is embraced after a long struggle.
In general it makes a lot of sense for there to be some unease about a superhero with super strength or powers. There's a tendency for some of these heroes to be shown as moral beacons but these fictional societies are to a large degree at the mercy of the hero's super conscience. If Superman decided one day he's tired of bending down for all these weak humans and that it would be fun to do as he pleases, they'd have a major problem. From the perspective of the heroes, there's a lot of temptation to resist carried along with the ability to do superhuman things.

It was equally interesting to see Batman viewed suspiciously in the Dark Knight trilogy, only being recognized as a hero after he (seemingly) scarified himself to save Gotham. The statue of Batman wasn't erected until (almost) everyone in Gotham thought he was dead.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

I like what Zack Snyder did with 300 and Watchmen, and I liked Smallville a lot, so I am interested in seeing the movie...

And in Smallville, Luthor was a mastermind, and most of the time, Clark couldn't prove anything against him...
And Superman killing makes him a powerhouse who puts himself above us, above our laws, and is not to be trusted to do anything but whatever HE feels is right, which means we humans mean jack shit to a god among us...
That's what I've always loved about Superman, the God who wanted to be human, to feel human, the God who respected human beings and did not impose his will upon us...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Jim wrote: Looks rather good. One of my big dislikes of Superman is that his main villain is just a guy... Luthor. You have potentially the apex superhero and his #1 advisory is just a smarter than average egomaniac.
Now I am by no means a Superman expert (or even much invested in the universe/ses at all) but that is actually why I always rather liked Luthor! He is the clear underdog vs Superman but isn't the least bit daunted by it.

And, altough his saneness and criminal drive depends on the version, I can at least understand his motivation and hatred of Supes. Now when I was young and watched Lois and Clark and Superman TAS I never got why anyone would be opposed to Supes, good incarnate but nowadays......
It's a freaking ALIEN operating totally outside the law with most of the world at his complete mercy and virtually limitless "potential" of destruction. It doesn't matter if he is a good guy or not, the sheer potential makes him a most dangerous threat.

Now Batman carries a bit of cryptonite around for "just in case"........Luthor just takes the next logical step imho and if Superman were real, chances are that most governments would gladly help Luthor to get rid of a potential alien overlord, no matter how benevolent he might be NOW!
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Atekimogus wrote:
Jim wrote: Looks rather good. One of my big dislikes of Superman is that his main villain is just a guy... Luthor. You have potentially the apex superhero and his #1 advisory is just a smarter than average egomaniac.
Now I am by no means a Superman expert (or even much invested in the universe/ses at all) but that is actually why I always rather liked Luthor! He is the clear underdog vs Superman but isn't the least bit daunted by it.

And, altough his saneness and criminal drive depends on the version, I can at least understand his motivation and hatred of Supes. Now when I was young and watched Lois and Clark and Superman TAS I never got why anyone would be opposed to Supes, good incarnate but nowadays......
It's a freaking ALIEN operating totally outside the law with most of the world at his complete mercy and virtually limitless "potential" of destruction. It doesn't matter if he is a good guy or not, the sheer potential makes him a most dangerous threat.

Now Batman carries a bit of cryptonite around for "just in case"........Luthor just takes the next logical step imho and if Superman were real, chances are that most governments would gladly help Luthor to get rid of a potential alien overlord, no matter how benevolent he might be NOW!
I see your point... but it is a "world" full of superheros and super baddies so ONE alien is not that odd. For us it would be extremely unique... in the DC universe it is a Tuesday.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Jim wrote:For us it would be extremely unique...
As opposed to only slightly unique? :roll:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Jim wrote:For us it would be extremely unique...
As opposed to only slightly unique? :roll:
You know what was meant.