Dredd

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Dredd

Post by Deepcrush »

Saw this last night and I have to admit I was really impressed with it. While some of the stuff going on tests your SoD, it doesn't crack it. Everything is possible and the scaling that they used along with the showing of infrastructure was very well done. The cast, from the top actors to the extras played everything off without ever outshining anyone else. An extra in a scene was just as believable as a main caste member. I won't add any spoilers but I will say this, go and see the movie as it was worth it.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Dredd

Post by Teaos »

I heard people talking about this on the Subway the other day and they were saying it was good but the way the camera panned sometimes almost gave them motion sickness.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Well, I never read the comics so I am unbiased that way but I must be one of the few people who actually quite liked the Stallone version from the 90ties and doesn't understand the need of a remake featuring the new Dr.McCoy.

Granted, I was a kid when I watched the Stallone Dredd but I liked it, the over the top acting, the cool robot, the fancy costumes, heck I even like the annoying sidekick. (Also the cast is vastly superior imho, Prochnow, Stallone, Assante, Von Sydow........).

Considering that the main problem "fans" have with that film seems to be that STallone took his helm off..."gasp"....I wish they would just stop making remakes and come up with something new.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I vaguely remembered the old comics, and I had no issue at all with the Stallone version. In addition, Karl Urban has seemed to perform quite a feat - making Stallone's acting seem to have depth and feeling in comparison.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Stallone film was a fun camp movie. The Urban film is a more true to comic/realistic movie. Where Stallone was an over actor, Urban used body language and short to the point comments. Where Stallone wore that freakish garb, Urban wore more practical kit.

That being said, I own and still love to watch the Stallone film and fully plan on buying the new Dredd when it comes out and watching them back to back.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I liked the orginal, to be fair I saw it when I was 8 and any movie with big guns is awesome at that age...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Teaos wrote:I liked the orginal, to be fair I saw it when I was 8 and any movie with big guns is awesome at that age...
What does age have to do with it? I'm 29 and still love watching them shoot everything to hell in that movie.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Late to the party but I don't care. Dredd was/is awesome. I loved this movie, loved it, loved it, loved it. I hate 3D, I mean I fucking hate it, and super-slow motion isn't much better (in modern movies) then along comes Dredd and it uses both of them to perfection. This was a movie that yeah, you needed to see in 3D. I've bought it on Blu-Ray and it's still good but man, I actually miss the 3D. This is the first, and so far only, thing I've ever seen that made me want a 3D TV. I really hope this does exceptional on Blu-ray and DVD and in a few years we'll see word of a sequel.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

This movie is the sole reason my gf has take sci-fi. Of course it sets a really high standard so I'm using the batman and avengers movies with Tron in the near future to help her interest along.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I got no introspection on this movie except to say, I enjoyed it. I don't understand why it wasn't a success. Maybe the ads weren't strong enough. Or possibly it sounded too much like The Raid: Redemption (Another great movie by the way). In any case I hope this becomes an after market hit and we get a sequel. I never wanted a sequel so bad. Please Hollywood make another one. Instead of remaking yet another hit movie from the past, make a Dredd sequel.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If they put it back in theaters I would gladly go to see it again to show support.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Deepcrush wrote:If they put it back in theaters I would gladly go to see it again to show support.
Amen.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Nutso wrote:I got no introspection on this movie except to say, I enjoyed it. I don't understand why it wasn't a success. Maybe the ads weren't strong enough. Or possibly it sounded too much like The Raid: Redemption (Another great movie by the way). In any case I hope this becomes an after market hit and we get a sequel. I never wanted a sequel so bad. Please Hollywood make another one. Instead of remaking yet another hit movie from the past, make a Dredd sequel.
Yeah a lot of people mentioned The Raid (they were made at the same time and had no influence on either, but The Raid came out first, so...).

I loved it. It was good for different reasons than the previous of course, since this was more... serious.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I was one of those who enjoyed the movie and have no idea why. Maybe because Karl Urban is in it. I have no idea why.

Maybe it sort of reminded me of 80's movies?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Karl Urban does Dredd properly. First, the helmet stays one. Second, he acts like Dredd. More specifically, he doesn't overact. The psychic is good and how she does her stuff makes sense. The plot is rather simple and doesn't over complicate itself. Bad guys die, good guys win, big bad gets what's coming to her. The 3D looks spectacular, the saturation and slow motion do their jobs to enhance the story telling rather than be a gimmick, etc.

In other words it's just a straight up good movie. It's not breaking new ground, telling an emtional story, etc. It's just a well done, highly enjoyable action flick. It's not pretentious or creepy. It saves you the Gray and Gray morality others might try. It knows what it is and it does it well.