Prometheus

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Prometheus

Post by McAvoy »

I have done some deep thinking about this movie. So I'll post when I have time to actually post a long one.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

So you sat around drinking until it made sense, or you sat around drinking until you had a startling, world-view shattering realization?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Wait... I needed a reason to drink?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:That is still stupid though. How many people are going to remember that difference? I just recently rewatched Alien and I didn't remember that.
Yep. I've known more than one person who's walked out saying "So that's the ship they find in Alien then," and have to have it explained to them that no, it's not.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

McAvoy wrote:Wait... I needed a reason to drink?
I assumed the drinking happened first and one of those results was the happy accident.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Wait... I needed a reason to drink?
I assumed the drinking happened first and one of those results was the happy accident.
Pretty much.
In the very first scene, we see one of the Space jockeys on a barren world take a drink from something that basically caused his whole body to dissolve. The whole scene makes the viewer think that the guy created humans. Which makes no sense as how the hell can his own DNA match ours but on a barren world we would have to see everything including dinosaurs lead up to the modern human it makes no sense.

Later on they want to kill us during the Crusades. Not exactly a threat to them at the time right? So why?

It felt like the movie was cobbled together from different scripts.

If I were to redo it and they wanted to keep the whole Space Jockeys created us thing then what they should have done was have them come over hundreds of years ago and create us then. Have the humans dominate over the original dominant species. Let's have them want to exterminate us because of we were beginning to become a threat or they deemed us a failure.

Use the black goo the same way, but keep it less complicated. The black goo caused a mutation within the native worms on the planet to create facehuggers. Have the Space Jockeys be present and actually experiment on the crew of the Prometheus. Facehuggers get a hold of both Space Jockey and human alike. The Prometheus crew hatches a plan to prevent the new xenomorphs from leaving, and somehow the Space Jockey ship crashes when the pilot is killed after a chest burster comes through.

That is more Aliens than Prometheus. Maybe use the Space Jockeys in using the humans test subjects in creating some sort of new bioweapon which eventually becomes the Xenomorph.

I also have a problem with the Space Jockeys. They are extremely large and extremely strong. They can kill a person with a hard push, or throw a man across a room. They have identical DBA to humans but remain sufficiently different from us.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Jim wrote:Didn't they originally say that this movie was not meant to be an actual direct prequil or even directly connected to the "universe" of the original Alien film? I took this movie to be a non-reboot reboot.
After a fair bit of preproduction, Ridley Scott tried to distance himself from prequel issues by releasing various statements that Prometheus was definitely an element in the Alien universe, but not intended to be a prequel.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

My gosh, this has to be the biggest mess and nonsenical movie I ever saw. NOTHING in it made any sense WHATSOEVER! It really feels like they had 3-4 different scripts and that one temp just tripped and mixed the pages all up and suddenly nothing makes any sense anymore.

Huge disappointment for me....is the George Lucas syndrom at work here? Namely that a director becomes so hugely successful that everybody just shuts up and is sucking up to him when in the past, when they where younger, there were tons of people shooting down their nonsense and stupid ideas and concepts?

I think I could write pages and make a scene by scene review of the movie and pointing out the stupidity but I think REDLETTERMEDIA sums it up quite nicely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0&feature=plcp

Maybe I could add a few things but it is probably best just to forget about the whole stupid movie. (My gods......the thing is, you could somehow forgive the absolute mess of a story since while you are watching it for the first time there are SO MANY mysterious and suspense building scenes and it is only when the end credits roll that you have the definite answer that NONE of those scenes ultimately lead to ANYTHING making sense but what I COULDN'T ignore even while the movie was rolling was that they send a ship on a trillion dollar expensive expedition and EVERY SINGLE crewmember on board is a COMPLETE moron. Seriously, there is not a SINGLE competent person on board this ship and the ONLY move ANYONE of them did that was actually kind of smart was Theron toasting the sick spacezombie and not letting him back on board and this was presented as something horrible. That being said, if I were the captain I wouldn't have let them back in the second they removed their helmets for the first time. I mean how stupid was that? And the freaking robot is able to smuggle the equivalent of a biological warhead back on board with anybody noticing......what the hell? JESUS CHRIST this movie makes the Voyager crew look like professionals.)

Ah well, there are movies which doesn't make a lot of sense and are still enjoyable and there are those movies that are so stupid it makes you angry. Guess this falls in the later category.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

if I were the captain I wouldn't have let them back in the second they removed their helmets for the first time. I mean how stupid was that?
This
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles