Prometheus

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Prometheus

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Prometheus is coming out on June 1, 2012 in the States.

I am eagerly anticipating this movie.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Prometheus

Post by Mikey »

I believe it's June 8 here in the States. Either way, I am also awaiting this like a 10-year-old girl on line for Justin Bieber tickets. Especially since Mr. Scott has said that it will be an extension of the Alien universe, but NOT a prequel per se.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I wonder if the xenomorphs are in the movie? It's hard to tell what is exactly getting the crew all worked up from the trailers.

I'll go see it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I do not think that it is what one would expect. I have not read any spoilers but this is what I think...

The xenomorphs were always said to be a genetically engineered species. I think that the spawn in this ship are the original “weaponized” dispersal version. The “egg pods” in the commercial look more like metal transport containers than eggs. They also show very small gnat like creatures.

My thoughts… for whatever reason they have, the space jockeys are going to send the xenomorph spawn to Earth (to any planet advanced enough to figure out the “directions”), maybe to remove the population so that they can then come in a teraform or whatever… In this movie the humans come in contact with the original version of the X-bug. This original form is host-less and therefore is simply the original engineered bug. The humans are infected and only then does it spawn the human form xenomorph that is seen in the rest of the movies. One of these humans spawn a queen, that queen lays all the eggs seen in the original Alien and the rest is history.

I expect to see humans, space jockey, X-bug and various stages of infected human as the bug infects and mutates. Maybe a space-jockey-form xenomorph. I am also thinking that right at the very end of the movie, maybe even the last frame kind of thing, a relatively classic human-form xenomorph or queen.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That all makes sense, but up to a year ago Ridley Scott very cautiously distanced himself from the idea of any sort of Alien prequel. That may have been misdirection, but that's what he said.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

UPDATE -

You might be pretty close to the mark. It seems to agree with at least part of what you said, especially the
central role of the Pilots.
*EDIT* Also, some of the screen caps and stills depict
a new type of alien - supposedly a parasite - and what looks like a melted helmet.
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

There was a short interview with Scott on Shotime or one of those channels between movies. I was actually doing dishes at the time but I think he said something about the movie not leading directly into the first Alien, but one could view it that way. He seemed to keep the door open a little while not hand holding us as a true prequel. It appears to be the same ship and jockey as the original, and it is human's first contact... so it is certainly a prequel to some degree...

As long as it is entertaining I will be happy :)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I had a read a piece in which he stated that it wasn't to be a prequel, but definitely part of the same universe or mythology as Alien. There are screen caps with a coalescing image that appears to be the same species as the Pilot - plus a central role given to Weyland.
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I see.

Actually...

One thing that I hope is not in the movie is the loud screaching/horn sound that is in the trailer. That sound is just annoying!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It is annoying, but with the way it was presented I wasn't sure if it was a klaxon or if it was part of the ambient electronica score. I hope it's the former.

Damned kids with their hair, and their clothes, and their electronic music... [/crotchety]
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Uh... isn't that same noise from the first one? Maybe the trailer?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Yes it is.
1979 trailer
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Wow, good spot, Mac. Seeing that again for the first time in ages also points out the identity of the downed Pilot ship in Alien with the "other" ship in the Prometheus trailer.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah, I knew it sounded familiar. I figured it had to be from the first movie because that is the only Rdley Scott Alien movie.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

This is definitively a prequel int he sense that it takes place prior to Alien. And it looks lie they are returning to what made the first movie so good.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.