Aliens & Cowboys

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Aliens & Cowboys

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Let me share to you the mental experience I've had with a trailer yesterday, while seeing Harry Potter.

The opening shot is a man waking up in the desert, sourrounded by people dressed like Desperados. Okay, a western. I like Western. The guy is about to get shot. He wears a weird handcuff on his left hand, makes me think of Leela's wrist-thingy.

He manages to beat down his executors, picks up clothes and ride back to town. He looks, around, not to sure. A woman accoast him in a bar, looking at him strangely. He asks: "Do I know you?", "You don't remember anything?" she replies..

Oh, nice. Amnesia plot in a Western, I might actually like that.

the Sherrif walks in with deputies, and arrest him. The guy doesn't resist, but he get a glimpse at a Wanted! sheet with his face on, for multiple counts of murders and quite a high bounty..

When he is put on the jail wagon, riders accoast the Sherrif and tell him they want this man to kill him themselves, and they won't take no for an answer. The tension mounts... until the Stranger Man see strange lights into the sky. They are getting closer.. everybody look at them..

Oh my god! They are spaceships! They kidnap the lady, and a few other people. Cue image flashes of fight scene in desert, in spaceship, etc... The woman asking: "What are these demons?" with him replying: "Why do you ask me?"

Finally, we get to see him pointing his wrist-thing at a spaceship, and there is some sort of weapon coming out of it, shooting down the craft. The weapon gets back into Wrist mode, and everybody look at Stranger Man with a very weird look..

I tell myself: "Okay, looks weird, but I am interested to at least know what kind of plot they came up with this. I wonder what's the clever title they came up with..."

ALIENS
And
COW-BOYS

... :madashell:
... :bangwall:

WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?! They picked the WORST MOVIE TITLE they could have came up with. That is so FUCKING STUPID! They could have tried something a little witty/western, like "The Strangers From Out of Town", but they had to do a fucking display title like ALIENS AND COWBOYS! :bangwall:

edit:Link for good measure
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Aliens & Cowboys

Post by Tsukiyumi »

It's "Cowboys and Aliens", and it didn't appear from nowhere; it's a graphic novel adaptation.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Awww...

The worst thing is, for a comic book, it's not that bad of a title.

But for a movie that wants to take itself remotely seriously? It's just horrible. Couldn't they have come up with an alternate title, and mention: "Adapted from the Graphic Novel: Cowboys and Aliens"?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Are you kidding me? That's an AWESOME title!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Seems we have a whole new movie meme starting... titles that sum up the entire movie. First "Snakes on a Plane", now this.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

The worst thing is, people in the theater seemed kinda enthousiast at it, even if the whole premise was a little stretched (Western and Sci-Fi). But they just outright snickered when they saw the title.

Sorry, but A&C ain't a winning title in my book. What do you think of this: "The Strangers From Out of Town"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:The worst thing is, people in the theater seemed kinda enthousiast at it, even if the whole premise was a little stretched (Western and Sci-Fi). But they just outright snickered when they saw the title.

Sorry, but A&C ain't a winning title in my book. What do you think of this: "The Strangers From Out of Town"
Sounds corny and stupid. I would much rather Aliens and cowboys to "The Strangers From Out of Town", it would be good for an episode title, but at this era, it's too long for a movie title. Movie titles have to be short, it's just the way it is.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

How can you not be enthusiastic about this?

Besides, nothing says aliens always have to invade in the present day.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:How can you not be enthusiastic about this?

Besides, nothing says aliens always have to invade in the present day.
I am enthousiast about the movie, read my post. I was liking the concept and storyline.

I am not enthousiast about the title, which I find to be incredibly stupid
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I find Aliens & Cowboys too simplistic, but "Strangers from out of town" sounds like a horrible 70's drama. Then again, I hate anything that involves western movies. I can barely even watch Toy Story, purely because it contains woody.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Reliant121 wrote:I find Aliens & Cowboys too simplistic, but "Strangers from out of town" sounds like a horrible 70's drama. Then again, I hate anything that involves western movies. I can barely even watch Toy Story, purely because it contains woody.
Even a wagon train to the stars? :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

....Sorry to disappoint, but I don't get it? :cry: :lol:
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Reliant121 wrote:....Sorry to disappoint, but I don't get it? :cry: :lol:
If you are being serious, that's what Star Trek was originally billed as-a wagon train to the stars.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You mean this is a live movie? I thought it was a Pixar kids movies, like Monsters vs Aliens.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:You mean this is a live movie? I thought it was a Pixar kids movies, like Monsters vs Aliens.
Nope. Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford (the second pairing of Indiana Jones and James Bond). Actually looks like a decent popcorn-flick to me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409847/
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."