From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Aliens & Cowboys

Post by Reliant121 »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:....Sorry to disappoint, but I don't get it? :cry: :lol:
If you are being serious, that's what Star Trek was originally billed as-a wagon train to the stars.
Hey, star trek was 28 years older than I am :P

But, in all honesty, had I been around at that age I would very likely not have watched it with that billing.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, I believe that was Gene's pitch to the networks, not necessarily what it was promoted as. Wouldn't surprise me, though. Westerns were pretty damned big back then.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Anyone catch the trailer during the Super Bowl? I will be seeing this.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, I saw it. Looks like plenty of flash and little else.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah? So? Cowboys vs. Aliens, if the title doesn't tell you what its going to be you haven't been paying attention.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I guess I was hoping for some subtext which I'd missed before. No dice.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Saw this today, was pleased with it. There were of course some issues and logic fails, but nothing big enough to ruin the fun. Craig and Ford really played off each other fantastically, and for once the alien's motivations made an ounce of sense
they were a scouting team surveying earth for gold. Which makes a hell of lot more sense than water or human slaves/meals that most invasion films are about. There are some things I could complain about if I wanted to, but I just don't have the motivation for it right now.
The movie was a good balance of humor, action, and drama, and well paced. The alien's defeat was handled well enough to be acceptable under the circumstances.

7 out of 10
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

It missed one thing from the comic. When one of the cowboys is told that the aliens plan on taking over the planet eventually, a cowboy responds "If those monsters try to take our land, we'll make sure they never get an inch of it" (or words to that effect).

The Native American in the group just looks at him, and the cowboy has to look away.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I believe the comic line was "They have no right to take our land just because they have better guns". Then again, the comic was an anvilicious take that towards the idea of manifest destiny, which I'm glad they dropped from the movie.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Lighthawk wrote: an anvilicious take that towards the idea of manifest destiny, which I'm glad they dropped from the movie.
Why didn't you want that in the movie? It sounds like an integral part of the idea of the literature.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Because having a moral delivered by a sledgehammer is generally annoying at best, and insulting at worst. The way the movie handles things, they merely present enough to let you pick up on the similarities between the alien's and settler's behavior towards the natives. It's the same general message, just without it being shoved down our throats.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Lighthawk wrote:Because having a moral delivered by a sledgehammer is generally annoying at best, and insulting at worst. The way the movie handles things, they merely present enough to let you pick up on the similarities between the alien's and settler's behavior towards the natives. It's the same general message, just without it being shoved down our throats.
Ah. Your previous comment read like the entire theme was dropped completely from the film, not that it was done more subtly.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Occasionally anvils need to be dropped, but most of the time they're better off delivered subtly. Yes, we were assholes and muscled the Indians out of their lands for no other reason than we could. Everyone knows this. Bashing us over the head with it is... about forty years late to the party.

Though you could likely do it for laughs.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

#1 - Yeah, we get the difference between subtle and mind-bogglingly obvious. If you'd read, you'd see that LH's comment read as if the film dropped the theme completely rather than treated it better than the literature.

#2 - There's no statute of limitations on telling people that wrong is wrong. I hate to tell you, things like what we did to the NAN bear repeating - even though nice white folks weren't the victims.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And if you'd read you'd be able to tell the first part of my reply was to LH's statement about morals delivered via sledgehammer.

In other news, slavery was a horrible thing! Condescend much? The crux of my argument is the "Bashing us over the head with it," aka Dropping an Anvil. People are very well aware that what was done was awful. We came in and took their land really just because we could they suffered for it and were all but wiped out in most cases. Beating people's faces in about it isn't going to result in a stunning revelation. In all likelihood it will just turn them off because you're not only pointing out the obvious but doing it in such a ham handed way that you're treating the audience like kids. There's nothing wrong with delivering the message in a subtle way like LH is describing it and letting the audience pick up on the similarities. Viewers aren't stupid, treating them like they are is the best way to guarantee that your message is completely ignored.