READY PLAYER ONE - Dreamer Trailer [HD]

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

READY PLAYER ONE - Dreamer Trailer [HD]

Post by Nutso »

From filmmaker Steven Spielberg comes the action adventure “Ready Player One,” based on Ernest Cline’s bestseller of the same name, which has become a worldwide phenomenon. The film is set in 2045, with the world on the brink of chaos and collapse. But the people have found salvation in the OASIS, an expansive virtual reality universe created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday (Mark Rylance). When Halliday dies, he leaves his immense fortune to the first person to find a digital Easter egg he has hidden somewhere in the OASIS, sparking a contest that grips the entire world. When an unlikely young hero named Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) decides to join the contest, he is hurled into a breakneck, reality-bending treasure hunt through a fantastical universe of mystery, discovery and danger.

Spielberg directed the film from a screenplay by Zak Penn and Ernest Cline. The film was produced by Donald De Line, Spielberg, Kristie Macosko Krieger and Dan Farah; with Adam Somner, Daniel Lupi, Chris deFaria and Bruce Berman serving as executive producers.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
DonP
Senior chief petty officer

Re: READY PLAYER ONE - Dreamer Trailer [HD]

Post by DonP »

Memberberries: The Motion Picture
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Doesn't the Spielberg name inspire some confidence that this will be more than a soulless "remember this?!" movie?
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I can't really say this interests me all that much. A great many of the references are things I don't get, and what's left after that? It's a VR game with an easter egg hidden in it, and a kid racing a corporation to reach it. And the easter egg can save the world or something. Sorry, that just doesn't really grab me.

As for Spielberg... I hate to say it, but I've somewhat lost respect for him lately. Probably since Jurassic Park 2, actually. At least where it comes to action movies.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I can't really say this interests me all that much. A great many of the references are things I don't get, and what's left after that? It's a VR game with an easter egg hidden in it, and a kid racing a corporation to reach it. And the easter egg can save the world or something. Sorry, that just doesn't really grab me.

As for Spielberg... I hate to say it, but I've somewhat lost respect for him lately. Probably since Jurassic Park 2, actually. At least where it comes to action movies.
The man could sentimentalize a hemorrhoid ointment commercial, for Christ's sake. Oddly, I think my favorite movie he's done since Jurassic Park was probably The Terminal (as sappy as it got). I enjoyed a few things, but really so much of his stuff makes me cringe.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

He can do sentimental, sure, but he's lost an edge IMO.

Spielberg was the guy who had a giant shark eat a child in Jaws. Now he makes action movies in which he refuses to allow people to benefit from the carrying of guns, in which children are granted a permanent immunity from serious harm, etc. If he can't follow through on those sorts of movies he shouldn't be making them.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DonP

Post by DonP »

I've got nothing either for or against Spielberg personally, but I firmly believe that the director's effect on a movie is vastly overhyped. A director can turn a good movie into a bad one, but not the other way around.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yep. I’m in no hurry to see this, and it has nothing to do with Spielberg. There’s absolutely zero content here with which a director could work.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

When I saw Star Wars Episode VIII on opening day, this movie (the only time I can remember this ever happening) had two very distinct trailers, with two very different tones. It was only about 45 seconds into the second trailer that I realized they were previewing the same movie. I found that pretty disconcerting, and it killed any interest I may have had with it.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Graham Kennedy wrote:He can do sentimental, sure, but he's lost an edge IMO.

Spielberg was the guy who had a giant shark eat a child in Jaws. Now he makes action movies in which he refuses to allow people to benefit from the carrying of guns, in which children are granted a permanent immunity from serious harm, etc. If he can't follow through on those sorts of movies he shouldn't be making them.
Oh, I wasn't saying sentimentalize as a compliment... I find it so cringey, and without that edge as you say, it just turns me off beyond belief.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Bryan Moore wrote:

Oh, I wasn't saying sentimentalize as a compliment... I find it so cringey, and without that edge as you say, it just turns me off beyond belief.
E.T. was sentimental to the point of melodrama, and it was great.
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:

E.T. was sentimental to the point of melodrama, and it was great.
Yes, and as a kid I did like it a lot. But somewhere along the lines, he just went off the rails with it. Minority Report tried SO hard to draw tears it was cringe-worthy.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The idea of making a movie out of Minority Report was moronic on so many levels that the execution was the least of it’s problems. Trying to draw a feature out of a short story is a problem of itself; ignoring Philip K. Dick’s powerful philosophical and psychological messages is pretty much dooming the project to becoming a hollow masquerade of a movie.
as Bull offed Custer
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

You forced me to remember his War of The Worlds remake, where that crappy kid turns up alive at the end, in his mom's house, in a Boston neighborhood that somehow escaped mass destruction.
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Interestingly, both crappy movies just referenced featured one Tom Cruise.
as Bull offed Custer