Favorite Recipies

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Favorite Recipies

Post by Mikey »

I've heard that a splash of water can open new possibilities in a good single-malt, but my horror approaches what you expressed at the idea of adding a liquid additive to good liquor.

Anyone have recommendations for a good single-malt Irish?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Bushmills 16
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Funny how this thread went from cooking recipes to drink recipes, not that I mind.
I'm a bourbon man myself, and keep going to Bulleit brand for shots or mixing (you get that great oakey flavor!), although for my bourbon bread pudding or bourbon pecan pie, I just go with a bottle of Jim Beam.
For sipping neat or for special occasions, I usually go with Jack Daniels Single Barrel. Not cheap, and not as sweet, but smoother and more powerful.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

For those who are interested in more food related recipes, I use this one weekly in cold weather:

Butternut Squash Soup
ingredients: 1 large (2 medium) butternut squash, halved and seeded
2 shallots, chopped
2-4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 tart apple (granny smith works great), roughly chopped
4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
olive oil, salt , pepper, allspice

Lightly oil both cut sides of the squash, sprinkle with salt, pepper and allspice, lay cut side down on a baking tray and roast in a 400 degree oven for 1 hour.
Combine shallots, garlic and apple in a large pot, with enough oil to coat the bottom, and cook with salt and pepper until softened.
Add chicken broth and cover. Lower the heat and simmer until the squash is done.
Remove squash from the oven and leave on the cooking sheet for 10-15mins. Flip them over and remove the softened squash with a large spoon and add it to the cooking pot.
Bring the pot to a boil, turn off the heat and blend the ingredients (a stick blender or regular blender) until smooth.
Finished soup should be thick but not chunky.
Enjoy!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

mwhittington wrote:Funny how this thread went from cooking recipes to drink recipes, not that I mind.
I'm a bourbon man myself, and keep going to Bulleit brand for shots or mixing (you get that great oakey flavor!), although for my bourbon bread pudding or bourbon pecan pie, I just go with a bottle of Jim Beam.
For sipping neat or for special occasions, I usually go with Jack Daniels Single Barrel. Not cheap, and not as sweet, but smoother and more powerful.
I make these pretty awesome maple burbon sriracha peanuts and use Bulleit for my bourbon. I do enjoy their Rye, and since I can't afford Whistle Pig, the Bulleit rye tends to be the go to.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

T'Pau wrote:For those who are interested in more food related recipes, I use this one weekly in cold weather:

Butternut Squash Soup
ingredients: 1 large (2 medium) butternut squash, halved and seeded
2 shallots, chopped
2-4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 tart apple (granny smith works great), roughly chopped
4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
olive oil, salt , pepper, allspice

Lightly oil both cut sides of the squash, sprinkle with salt, pepper and allspice, lay cut side down on a baking tray and roast in a 400 degree oven for 1 hour.
Combine shallots, garlic and apple in a large pot, with enough oil to coat the bottom, and cook with salt and pepper until softened.
Add chicken broth and cover. Lower the heat and simmer until the squash is done.
Remove squash from the oven and leave on the cooking sheet for 10-15mins. Flip them over and remove the softened squash with a large spoon and add it to the cooking pot.
Bring the pot to a boil, turn off the heat and blend the ingredients (a stick blender or regular blender) until smooth.
Finished soup should be thick but not chunky.
Enjoy!
We use a very similar recipe here for Butternut Squash soup. Lovely autumn/winter warmer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

mwhittington wrote:Jack Daniels Single Barrel. Not cheap, and not as sweet, but smoother and more powerful.
Also, not a bourbon. I adore Bulleit's 10-year rye, but for bourbons I prefer Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, or Buffalo Trace.
T'Pau wrote:Butternut Squash Soup
Love it this time of year. OK, here's my contribution... I do this rarely, but I always double it because I can't stop eating it.

Kasha Varnishkes

1 cup buckwheat groats ("kasha")
1 egg
1 cup uncooked bow tie pasta (or other short, flat noodle) or 1 cup uncooked gluten-free egg noodles (or other short, flat noodle)
2 cups chicken stock, brought to a boil
1 teaspoon salt
1 quart water
1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons chicken fat
1 1⁄2 large onions, chopped coarsely

Beat the egg in a small bowl. Add kasha and stir until every grain is well coated with egg. Place in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the egg begins to dry and the groats separate. Some of the groats may stick together and/or brown slightly.
Pour boiling chicken stock over the kasha. Mix in salt and pepper and stir thoroughly. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until the kasha has absorbed all liquid. Remove from heat.
In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook the pasta until done. Drain and set aside.
In a skillet, heat the schmaltz on a medium flame. Saute the chopped onions until thoroughly browned. Add the onions and noodles to the pot of kasha, and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
as Bull offed Custer
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

I was visiting [url]http://www.altonbrown.%20com[/url] and saw his recipe for "election year steak". I tried it and it was one of the best steaks I've had in a long time. Extremely simple, you only need a top sirloin (I used a New York strip), salt, a cast iron skillet, and a crap ton of heat.

(1).Place a cast iron skillet over high heat for 5 minutes.(2). Add 1-2 tbsp. kosher salt, spread evenly, let sit 1 minute. (3).Place steak directly on salt, let sit 1 minute. DO NOT MOVE STEAK. (4). Flip steak, let sit 1 minute. DO NOT MOVE STEAK. (5). Flip steak on its side and hold there 30 seconds. (6). Flip steak on other side and hold there 30 seconds. (7). Repeat entire process from step 3 on one more time. (8). Wrap steak tightly in aluminum foil, let rest 5 minutes. (9). Repeat steps 3-8 one more time. Total time will be 4 minutes each flat side and 2 minutes each skinny side. After steak has rested, eat as you see fit.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

mwhittington wrote:I was visiting [url]http://www.altonbrown.%20com[/url] and saw his recipe for "election year steak". I tried it and it was one of the best steaks I've had in a long time. Extremely simple, you only need a top sirloin (I used a New York strip), salt, a cast iron skillet, and a crap ton of heat.

(1).Place a cast iron skillet over high heat for 5 minutes.(2). Add 1-2 tbsp. kosher salt, spread evenly, let sit 1 minute. (3).Place steak directly on salt, let sit 1 minute. DO NOT MOVE STEAK. (4). Flip steak, let sit 1 minute. DO NOT MOVE STEAK. (5). Flip steak on its side and hold there 30 seconds. (6). Flip steak on other side and hold there 30 seconds. (7). Repeat entire process from step 3 on one more time. (8). Wrap steak tightly in aluminum foil, let rest 5 minutes. (9). Repeat steps 3-8 one more time. Total time will be 4 minutes each flat side and 2 minutes each skinny side. After steak has rested, eat as you see fit.
Necro-ing this post as I just had a steak quite similar to this (I'm assuming you mean place steak directly on skillet, not salt), and it was delicious. Only thing different is that I added butter/thyme to the skillet for the last go around.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Bryan Moore wrote:(I'm assuming you mean place steak directly on skillet, not salt)
According to the recipe, you put the steak on top of the kosher salt. Alton Brown mentioned salt was technically a rock, so you're cooking on a rock.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I’ve seen a number of recipes involving cooking on a salt block, usually fish IIRC, but never on kosher salt.
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Okay, I have had salt-block beef before - I was just wondering if that's what we were going with here. The time I had it, it was tasty as hell.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Yes, I know I've "necro'd" this topic, but trust me, it is really worth it!

The Perfect Baked Potato (after multiple different recipes and basic trial and error):

Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees

Wash potato(s), rub them with olive oil and salt to coat (no piercing the skin with a fork or anything)

Place on the oven rack directly (or on a rack on a tray)

Bake until the internal temperature of the potato is 206 degrees ( for my oven, that takes 65 minutes...and worth the wait, I promise!!)

Seriously, it's the best!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

"To 450-"
... 450?

It only goes to 230?