Formula 1 2017

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Formula 1 2017

Post by Bryan Moore »

A touch early, but thoughts on the upcoming season?

Manor dead
Rosberg retired/Bottas to Mercedes
Haas F1 needs a strong sophomore season
Bernie out
New rules package
Ferrari/Red Bull duel for #2

Plenty of interesting story lines!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Formula 1 2017

Post by Mikey »

It looks like English...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Bryan Moore wrote:Ferrari/Red Bull duel for #2
Hopefully a Ferrari/Red Bull/Williams truel, but we'll have to see. They've certainly been very up and down in recent years.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:Ferrari/Red Bull duel for #2
Hopefully a Ferrari/Red Bull/Williams truel, but we'll have to see. They've certainly been very up and down in recent years.
Williams? Massa is a proven commodity, Stroll is a complete mystery. They were fifth last year, a solid 40 points behind Sahara-Force India and both were well distant behind Ferrari and Red Bull. I'm not so sure I'd expect much different, although with a Mercedes power plant, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Season begins this week and I'm pumped. It's still behind NASCAR and Indycar for my favorite forms of racing, but I'm happy to see it run again. Go Haas.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Helluvah win by Vettel today - class of the field.

And if this doesn't get any action, I'll let this thread die a quicker death than Manor...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Bryan Moore wrote:Helluvah win by Vettel today - class of the field.
Hardly. Bottas was able to keep in touch with Hamilton, Alonso was able to keep a McLaren in the points until the car gave up on him, and Giovinazzi had an impressive debut, especially given how late he got the drive. All Vettel did was drive round in circles and rely on the cards falling his way.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I was happy to see Bottas stay close to Hamilton. I was just thrilled to see a non-Silver Arrow winner to start the season.

Disappointed for Haas' missed opportunities.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Bryan Moore wrote:I was happy to see Bottas stay close to Hamilton. I was just thrilled to see a non-Silver Arrow winner to start the season.
Given who won, however, I think it would have been better if Hamilton and Bottas had taken the top two steps by lapping the field.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Verstappen's +9 position first lap and then his last- lap battle for P3 were pretty cool. Also happy to see Magnussen get some points for Haas.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:It looks like English...
Sophomore is not a word in English, American perhaps but not English.
email, ergo spam
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

IanKennedy wrote:
Mikey wrote:It looks like English...
Sophomore is not a word in English, American perhaps but not English.
Back in my teaching days (YIKES) I used to bust my sophomores on the alleged etymology of them lperhaps from Greek sophos wise + mōros foolish]. Yet, I was wholly unaware it was an American only thing until quite some later...

Of course, busting on my sophomores ultimately led to me not being here for a while... :bangwall:
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Well that was another interesting win for Vettel! The penalty by Hamilton obviously cost him, but once again Ferrari put themselves in the right place at the right time and proved they could hold onto a lead. Early season or not, this should at least give some hope to a competitive season between Ferrari and Mercedes.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Anyone watch Spain this morning? The opening was an absolute mess, but the back and forth between Hamilton and Vettel was pretty damn exciting and with Scuderia Ferrari and AMG-Mercedes retiring a car each, it was cool to see Sauber and India further up in points positions than we'll likely see on a "normal" race.

I'm quite surprised still at the lack of speed Red Bull has shown, but unsurprised they are still a distance ahead than SFI or Sauber.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Please tell me someone else enjoyed the Clownshoes 250 today?!