Fourth Law of Thermodynamics

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Admiral Dunsel
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Fourth Law of Thermodynamics

Post by Admiral Dunsel »

Just curious here folks, but in all of canon Star Trek, has anyone ever mentioned, quoted, or referred to Murphy's Law by name?

I recently heard Murphy's Law humorously being referred to as the 'Fourth Law of Thermodynamics', and thought that, as often as things go wrong, it just might be deserving of such a title.
" We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. " - Benjamin Franklin
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: Fourth Law of Thermodynamics

Post by sunnyside »

My knee jerk reaction was no. Murphey's law is rather cynical in nature, better fitting with Marine Sergeants than Starfleet officers.

I did a little Googling, and found:
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Murphy's_Law

Since they've managed to locate a couple references in non-cannon novels and an ebook it probably hasn't shown up on screen.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I sure as hell don't recall a reference to it... but then again some days I don't recall breakfast by lunchtime. I know Stephen King has referred to it in one of his fantasy novels as Satan's (third or fourth) Law, or something similar, but it seems a bit too sarcastic for a 'Trek outlook.

In a similar vein, I do remember as a child hearing Benny Hill reference the (modified) Biblical Golden Rule: "Do unto others... then run."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, there's, 'Fate protects fools, little children, and ships called Enterprise."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

There has to be a reference. I vaguely remember Paris mentioning it. But that could me imagining it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"