Driving Pet Peeves

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Driving Pet Peeves

Post by Jim »

Reliant121 wrote:central lane of a three lane road.

Technically we would probably use outside, inside (for a two lane road) and then a centre (for three lane roads). I believe in the states you refer to the Outside Lane as as the one closest the roadside and the Inside the closest the centre; we reverse them, as the outside lane is the one closest the centre of the road and the inside is the one farthest from the centre road.
Left lane is nearest the oncoming traffic, right lane is nearest the curb/shoulder.

Okay, it is a little different here. On a three lane road the middle lane is usually the cursing lane where the majority of people are. The left lane is the passing/fast lane. The right lane is normally slower trucks, old people and such. That is why I questioned what was meant by center, Something like the CLOC is the norm here. It iss not law or anything, we actually have the "stay as to the right as possible" but that usually is just followed on 2 lane roads.

Lane #1 is fast/passing (5+ over the speed limit)
Lane #2 has the majority of people in it (speed limit +5)
Lane #3 "those" people (speed limit -)

If the CLOC people need to move out of the middle lane so that it can be a fast/passing lane... then what is the 3rd lane, Autobaun?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Jim wrote:If the CLOC people need to move out of the middle lane so that it can be a fast/passing lane... then what is the 3rd lane, Autobaun?
Another overtaking lane. Ditto the 4th/5th lanes if they're there.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Since most HGVs and goods vehicles are now restricted to 56mph they sit in the left most (right in your case) lane. The next lane tends to be a sort of "70mph" lane but it can vary wildly depending on prevailing conditions and whether a certain person is a veritable nob. The right most (left) tends to be well above the speed limit on my local road. I quite regularly see executive vehicles at 80mph or even 90mph.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Since most HGVs and goods vehicles are now restricted to 56mph they sit in the left most (right in your case) lane. The next lane tends to be a sort of "70mph" lane but it can vary wildly depending on prevailing conditions and whether a certain person is a veritable nob. The right most (left) tends to be well above the speed limit on my local road. I quite regularly see executive vehicles at 80mph or even 90mph.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Jim wrote:the cursing lane
Freudian slip?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:
Freudian slip?
I can actually see that being a thing.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:
Freudian slip?
Not far from the truth if it is though.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Five people turned on the road yesterday without turn signals. Three of them, in front of me and rather suddenly. The other two? In the opposite lane and crossing in front of me. :bangwall: !ouch)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Ah yes. If I see someone not use their turn signals I automatically think they are truly assholes throughout their life.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:Ah yes. If I see someone not use their turn signals I automatically think they are truly assholes throughout their life.
And you'd be perfectly correct in that assumption.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:Ah yes. If I see someone not use their turn signals I automatically think they are truly assholes throughout their life.
Mikey wrote:
And you'd be perfectly correct in that assumption.
Seconded. Good fucking lord I'm glad I was paying attention and in 'new car!' mode.