Powerball

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Powerball

Post by McAvoy »

In the US, the Powerball us at 1.3 billion dollars. Or 868 million in cash.

Let's assume you win it all. What would you do with it?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Powerball

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'd likely give most of it away.

First off, I'd dole out some money to family and friends. A few million each, enough to make them comfortable for the rest of their life.

I'd keep enough for myself that I could live in a large, comfortable home - nothing absurdly large, no giant mansion or anything, but big and quality and comfortable. Plus have a few nice things - nice cars, computers, etc. I've no real desire to own my own yacht or island or private airplane or other toys of the super-rich.

After that, I'd probably look for good causes. Maybe not charity as such, but perhaps invest in something like Skylon. Maybe a few million to SETI. Things like that, that have the potential to be world-changing in interesting ways.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I'd likely give most of it away.

First off, I'd dole out some money to family and friends. A few million each, enough to make them comfortable for the rest of their life.

I'd keep enough for myself that I could live in a large, comfortable home - nothing absurdly large, no giant mansion or anything, but big and quality and comfortable. Plus have a few nice things - nice cars, computers, etc. I've no real desire to own my own yacht or island or private airplane or other toys of the super-rich.

After that, I'd probably look for good causes. Maybe not charity as such, but perhaps invest in something like Skylon. Maybe a few million to SETI. Things like that, that have the potential to be world-changing in interesting ways.
This. Dammit, Graham, why do you have to be so smart?! :madashell: :lol:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I don't know if I would give alot of it away. But I do know that I don't require alot to live on for the rest of my life once everything is bought. House, cars, new furniture etc.

I think the biggest issue would be the family. I don't live in a close knit family. I got several cousins but I only see two more than once a year. I got one uncle and two aunts. I got others but I have never seen them.

One cousin I know for a fact would live life like those you hear about when they win it big and then spend it all in a year. I know if I were to give it out he would leach from others after he spent all share. Which then will create conflict of course.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote:I don't know if I would give alot of it away. But I do know that I don't require alot to live on for the rest of my life once everything is bought. House, cars, new furniture etc.

I think the biggest issue would be the family. I don't live in a close knit family. I got several cousins but I only see two more than once a year. I got one uncle and two aunts. I got others but I have never seen them.

One cousin I know for a fact would live life like those you hear about when they win it big and then spend it all in a year. I know if I were to give it out he would leach from others after he spent all share. Which then will create conflict of course.
Hire bodyguards with gun licenses. That will keep the leeches away.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Many very rich people have to do exactly that. But is that how you want to spend your life, being followed around by armed guards?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Price to pay by being rich.

If you won 1.3 billion dollars I seriously doubt you can keep the a secret.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I seriously would give the vast majority away, then squirrel away money and live off the interest.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Buy a nice house, nice cars/bikes/tech etc. Use some of the money to travel to places I've never been. Ultimately though, I'd invest a lot and live off interest or property income. I've always wanted to set up a motorbike dealership with my dad but I imagine the lotto wins we have here would still not be sufficient!
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Quit my job and open a hobby shop so that I could enjoy myself each day.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Build a pyramid the old fashion way. Carve my face into several mountains. Cut down the rain forest in cock and ball patterns so it can be seen from space. Then run for president.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Build a pyramid the old fashion way. Carve my face into several mountains. Cut down the rain forest in cock and ball patterns so it can be seen from space. Then run for president.
Don't forget to get a giant laser cannon and use that to carve your face into the moon!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Build a pyramid the old fashion way.
My peeps don't work for free anymore.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Actually the cutting cock and ball pattern thing sounds like an idea.