What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?wr

Post by Bryan Moore »

Reliant121 wrote:It’s slightly scary how relentless the March of time is isn’t it? I look back on some of my oldest posts on here and cringe. You were all so patient with me back then.
It's okay - you never once pretended to be half cat nor asked us if we thought a Klingon, Tellarite, or Tzenkethi would make a better doctor on the Enterprise-Q...
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:It’s slightly scary how relentless the March of time is isn’t it? I look back on some of my oldest posts on here and cringe. You were all so patient with me back then.
It's okay - you never once pretended to be half cat nor asked us if we thought a Klingon, Tellarite, or Tzenkethi would make a better doctor on the Enterprise-Q...
I'd tried very hard to block that from my memory. :poke:
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Reliant121 wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:
I'd tried very hard to block that from my memory. :poke:
That's how I feel about Voyager.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

My sister has taken a bit of a long path to her ultimate career. First a teacher she just graduated with an extension of her education in the field all the way to Ph.D. Now she'll study how young children learn math.

As to me, I'll have a shortened day due to the holiday here on Monday and I should know soon when we'll close shop for a week of summer vacation.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, Friday was my mother's last day of work. She's now retired.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I just did a short workout earlier this afternoon with the aid of a newly purchased dumbbell set. It was a bit painful to learn how far behind I've gotten in the latest interlude in my on-and-off attempts at keeping fit.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Between my mother's retirement, Memorial Day weekend, and the store getting ready for inventory, it's been pretty damned stressful for me.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

McAvoy wrote:Let's see:

Doing the whole online dating thing for almost a year. Last year went on dates with several women. Two of which amounted to something with one we ended up being just friends and the other dumped me out of random. Back on the dating scene after a few months of me time. Dating a girl who seems most like me except she doesn't watch TV or movies.

Grandma is on a long downward spiral. Just went into hospice on Friday. Her husband died last year. Both are in advanced forms of dementia.

Job is good. I expect to take over later this year or early next year as the sole person running the department. Right now my Boss is the Owner's father.

My brother is expecting his third child in less than two weeks. First with his second wife. This one is spool much better than the last one.

Mom is retiring in a few months. Then the Big Argument will happen. With Mom home she will pester my Dad about his business. He uses Reverb and Ebay to sell musical instruments. For every instrument he sells he manages to buy two. All of it stored in the house. Part two of the Big Argument is whether or not they stay in the house or move to New Hampshire. Mom wants to stay and be a grandmother to her grandkids while Dad wants to go to New Hampshire. Part 3 is my Mom wanting to remodel the kitchen while my DD just wants to see the house as is.
Update on this:

Still doing the online dating thing. Girl I dated I let go. No connection.

Grandma died on April 20th. She took her afternoon nap and never woke up. We had a memorial service for her and her husband a week later.

Brother had his baby girl a couple of days before Grandma died. Baby Fiona. She is a cutie.

Job is the same but there is talk about merging my department with another. I feel this is a bad idea because it has to be kept separate. Too many hands in the cookie jar and everything.

Mom will be retiring at the end of this month. My brother and I will be doing a surprise retirement party for her on July 4th. She thinks it's a July 4th party.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

It's supposed to be in the 90's all this week. Should be interesting.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It's supposed to be 30-31°C here today (that's about 86 in old money). Not quite your numbers be this is England and our office does not have air con.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

My area topped 100F yesterday, maybe again today.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:My area topped 100F yesterday, maybe again today.
I'd hand you a glass of ice water if I could.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

We did have one place it 38.5°C once, which is 101.3°F.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:
We did have one place it 38.5°C once, which is 101.3°F.
Over 100F day’s aren’t common by me, but certainly not unheard-of; I usually see 5 to 10 of them per year.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Somewhat less common for me, but they happen.