What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Mikey »

Thanks. I was concerned - well, I guess any parent would be, even for an outpatient procedure such as this was - but for all his tae kwon do, baseball, and football playing, my son was never as tough as his big sister. She was always the one who would limp her way back onto the field after an injury, take her base after getting beaned, or otherwise overcome injury. He seems to have inherited the two positive traits I possess - lack of fear of needles and injections, and resistance/tolerance for side effects of drugs.

Per the follow-up, the doc says he's healing quite normally, and his eye alignment looks spot-on.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:Well, my little guy made it through his surgery yesterday like a real trooper. Came out of anesthesia relatively quickly and in quite a bit of pain, but fell into a more normal sleep a little bit after that and woke feeling much better. Plus he seems to have tolerated the anesthesia - not being too vertiginous or nauseous - better than most folks I know, including adults. We'll find out later today how effective the procedure was, but he did great.
Good to read he's doing okay. :)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Thanks.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Girlfriend of two months gave me strep throat. Took me a week to finally to go to the doctor.

Also took me a week figure out she gave me cooties.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:Also took me a week figure out she gave me cooties.
I'm going back in forth in my head as to whether this a joke addendum to the anecdote, or if you're seeing a woman who has an insect infestation.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

What the hell are 'cooties', anyway? I thought they were a made up thing...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

According to Wiki they are? However, that says that it's like the dreaded lurgi. It then goes on to start talking about bugs, which is kinda odd as the dreaded lurgi is nothing to do with bugs, real or otherwise. It's just a a name for a illness of indeterminate nature. For example if you had flu, and it hadn't been diagnosed as such, it could be described as 'the dreaded lurgi'.

Cooties according to them is an imaginary thing you might catch from the opposite sex.
The dreaded lurgi is a fake name for a real illness you can catch from just about anyone who has it.

Not really the same thing at all.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Also took me a week figure out she gave me cooties.
I'm going back in forth in my head as to whether this a joke addendum to the anecdote, or if you're seeing a woman who has an insect infestation.
Just a joke. Honestly I think there are very few people who actually think cooties is a real thing. A kid thing that you stay away from girls. Just a joke that if girl gets you sick, she gave you cooties. It's also used a mock joke about girls being icky and all that.

She gave me strep throat. When I told her she gave me cooties she laughed her ass off.

You guys are too serious.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Just rounded Cape Horn. The wife loves it, I'm getting sick of selfies.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Just rounded Cape Horn. The wife loves it, I'm getting sick of selfies.
Did you use a file or a rasp? go ahead
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:According to Wiki they are? However, that says that it's like the dreaded lurgi. It then goes on to start talking about bugs, which is kinda odd as the dreaded lurgi is nothing to do with bugs, real or otherwise. It's just a a name for a illness of indeterminate nature. For example if you had flu, and it hadn't been diagnosed as such, it could be described as 'the dreaded lurgi'.

Cooties according to them is an imaginary thing you might catch from the opposite sex.
The dreaded lurgi is a fake name for a real illness you can catch from just about anyone who has it.

Not really the same thing at all.
In general, "cooties" is used as described; that is, a pretend infection that one can receive from members of the opposite sex - a game obviously played by kids of an age before members of the opposite sex held any type of interest. In specific geographical areas, though, it colloquially referred to parasitical insects: lice, bedbugs, etc.

IDK what the hell "lurgi" are.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

That's my point lurgi are not a thing. They are an illness. Sure illnesses are typically a virus or bacteria but not all of them, for example poisons can cause shut down of the body's systems that can produce an illness. It seems to originate from a "The Goon Show" episode written by Spike Milligan and Eric Sykes (Reference)
email, ergo spam
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I don't have cooties, since it's a fictional illness. Unfortunately I am a couple of weeks into a stretch of something; I thought I was feeling better a couple of days ago but now it could be a new bug or a recurrence or whatnot.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

The Walmart I work at had to be evacuated for a little over two hours due to a gas leak. I spent it in my car, getting paid for the time. :D
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

... and as soon as I complain about feeling ill, I start to feel better. Even my sugar readings came back down to numbers quite good for a diabetic and have stayed level for a couple of hours. So now I'll go to the gym as I'd expected to do earlier on my day off today and get a sandwich on the way home.

If anyone else wants a reverse jinx... I'm quite sure it was just coincidence. However, I'd still accept payment for such services. :)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who