What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Nothing like a simple Irish creme on ice to finish the night.
Speaking of vomit emojis...

Anyway... IDK, Bryan. I might pick up a bottle to share on my next business trip, if so I'll provide a review.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I think a tasty Scotch is Old Parr. It doesn't have the turpentine taste that makes the Scots Scottish.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Teaos wrote:It's funny I always detested red wine. But the other day I was served a glass a drunk it to be polite, I was half way through before I realised I wasn't internally cringing and was very much enjoying it.
You're getting older, and therefore, more accepting of alcohol.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Or he finally started drinking good wine...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

IanKennedy wrote:We're only just getting ready to go away this year. We're off at the end of next week for a two week cruise in Japan. Should be interesting...
How was the cruise?

Japan is one of my preferred countries to visit...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I was disapointed by Japan. Small areas were nice but over all a very non tourist friendly place.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Teaos wrote:I was disapointed by Japan. Small areas were nice but over all a very non tourist friendly place.
Which, for me, was part of the appeal...
I guess the fact that it's very foreign and not very touristy made things more appealing for me...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:Tastes do change. Tuesday night I was drinking a bone-dry martini - which used to be my go-to - and I found myself wishing I had ordered a complex whiskey or aged tequila instead. BTW has anyone tried Kavanagh Irish single grain?
Nope, not heard of that one.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Praeothmin wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:We're only just getting ready to go away this year. We're off at the end of next week for a two week cruise in Japan. Should be interesting...
How was the cruise?

Japan is one of my preferred countries to visit...
Very good. We saw a lot of it, We did Yokohama to the north in the first cruise. Covering a lot of Hokkaido and a little Russia. Then south from Yokohama again to South Korea and Nagasaki. The north was cold and the south hot and humid. Would have been better if I hadn't got flu and locked in my room for 4 days. Buy, hey you can't have everything I guess.

Japan reminded me of England but many years ago. Everyone was polite, queued nicely and acknowledge each other when they passed. People were very friendly with a nice sense of humour, at least the ones I came across. Would go back again.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Teaos wrote:I was disapointed by Japan. Small areas were nice but over all a very non tourist friendly place.
In what way? The language is a barrier, certainly if you are driving. The roads seem to branch off all over the place and are only really labelled in Japanese. That said I saw more English signs than I expected.
email, ergo spam
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

English has made its way to more signs, and in more business in the last couple of years...
The first time I went there in 2010, not many signs were in english, most shops DID NOT accept credit cards and expected you to pay cash, and everyone turning around yelling "Ohaiyou Gozaimass" when I entered a restaurant almost giving me a heart attack...

Now, more people speak English, more signs are translated, and more people speak English than six years ago (things really improved in six years)...
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Right now, one of my sisters is running in the New York City Marathon. Let's say she's in a bit better shape than I (26.2 miles is perhaps 26.1 more than I could go at once. :lol: ). I'm thin, just not very fit.

My mom is out to meet her at the end of the race, with her change of clothes and water. With mom is my cell phone, or former phone at least. Seeing that she hadn't had one, and I was looking to upgrade, handing my phone down to her helped me kill two birds with one stone. It's been about two years since I got her a laptop (which she uses quite a bit now) and though she doesn't expect as much use of the phone, it's clearly a useful thing to have. So, I've moved on to a current gen Galaxy S7, providing a snappier experience, eliminating the nagging issue of apps left behind by an outdated version of Android, and new features like fingerprint unlocking. The only thing I lost in the process was my old number. There were odd technical issues getting in the way of transferring my old number and service, so I got a new service provider and number. Both are low-cost prepaid plans (I'm not a very heavy user, just one sensitive to the user experience).
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Apparently she finished in about 3 hours and 44 minutes.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Considering the typical state of Manhattan streets, I'm not positive I could drive the marathon course in that time.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I walked it over a weekend back when I lived there.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.