What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by McAvoy »

My Mom did her final exam to basically officially put her on the kidney list. Which also means she asked me to look into to seeing if I can give up one. Something we discussed awhile ago considering the long wait times on kidneys.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote:My Mom did her final exam to basically officially put her on the kidney list. Which also means she asked me to look into to seeing if I can give up one. Something we discussed awhile ago considering the long wait times on kidneys.
Damn, McAvoy. Fingers crossed for her and you.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote:My Mom did her final exam to basically officially put her on the kidney list. Which also means she asked me to look into to seeing if I can give up one. Something we discussed awhile ago considering the long wait times on kidneys.
Hoping everything works out for your mom.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Well, so far this month I have applied for a Computer Programming course and completed my CBT, so I can now legally ride a 125cc scooter, if I can find one affordable, ha.

The course starts in February, so it's a while away yet, but gives me time to get everything else sorted (care coordinator is leaving soon so will be discharging me in a month or two, though I'll still see the psychiatrist, and I have been referred to see a psychologist too). I have to phone the psychologist to make an appointment, and I absolutely hate talking on phones. But I have phoned them more than 2 dozen times this week and there's just no answer, so I have had to email another department, to get them to chase them up.

Apparently they don't do open-duration therapy anymore, at the first appointment we discuss what needs to be addressed, and then sign a contract for a maximum number of sessions. But better than nothing I guess.

Still, I have my CBT and hopefully college course, so all is good :)

Hope everyone else is swell.
Welcome to the two wheel fraternity.

It doesn't last with a CBT believe me. I bought a 50 for pootling to college and back and look at me now. 7 bikes later, ranging from 500cc to 900cc. :roll:
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:
Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Well, so far this month I have applied for a Computer Programming course and completed my CBT, so I can now legally ride a 125cc scooter, if I can find one affordable, ha.

The course starts in February, so it's a while away yet, but gives me time to get everything else sorted (care coordinator is leaving soon so will be discharging me in a month or two, though I'll still see the psychiatrist, and I have been referred to see a psychologist too). I have to phone the psychologist to make an appointment, and I absolutely hate talking on phones. But I have phoned them more than 2 dozen times this week and there's just no answer, so I have had to email another department, to get them to chase them up.

Apparently they don't do open-duration therapy anymore, at the first appointment we discuss what needs to be addressed, and then sign a contract for a maximum number of sessions. But better than nothing I guess.

Still, I have my CBT and hopefully college course, so all is good :)

Hope everyone else is swell.
Welcome to the two wheel fraternity.

It doesn't last with a CBT believe me. I bought a 50 for pootling to college and back and look at me now. 7 bikes later, ranging from 500cc to 900cc. :roll:
We need to get you a membership in Heck's Angels, now. :D
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Well, I've just been to Exeter (about 180 odd miles away) for a meet up with an asexual group I am in, we meet up every so often, I go to several around the southern UK. Anyways, I was was there for the weekend, had a fab time, and one of the newbies turned out to be another Trekkie, who informed me that there is a UK Star Trek convention in Birmingham next month. Thus, I have booked myself a trip to that for a birthday treat, and going to meet up with him up there. Looks like getting a scooter may be put back until Nov-Dec time, but I am determined to get on the road ASAP. But this will be my FIRST EVER Star Trek convention, after being a fan for nearly 3 decades.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Well, I've just been to Exeter (about 180 odd miles away) for a meet up with an asexual group I am in, we meet up every so often, I go to several around the southern UK. Anyways, I was was there for the weekend, had a fab time, and one of the newbies turned out to be another Trekkie, who informed me that there is a UK Star Trek convention in Birmingham next month. Thus, I have booked myself a trip to that for a birthday treat, and going to meet up with him up there. Looks like getting a scooter may be put back until Nov-Dec time, but I am determined to get on the road ASAP. But this will be my FIRST EVER Star Trek convention, after being a fan for nearly 3 decades.
That is so cool! Have a great time. :D
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Cheers. I have no doubt I will do. Just a month and 9 days to go :)
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Cheers. I have no doubt I will do. Just a month and 9 days to go :)
Make sure to take some pictures. ;)
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Just lost about 8 months of work on my own sci fi universe, due to a corrupt portable hard drive. I am gutted. But I have been doing it for nearly 28 years, and it's survived several disasters, and will survive this one. Lesson learnt, back up more. Tomorrow I will be buying two portable hard-drives, so I'll have two back ups and the primary one. This does not go well with my mental health as it is.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Just lost about 8 months of work on my own sci fi universe, due to a corrupt portable hard drive. I am gutted. But I have been doing it for nearly 28 years, and it's survived several disasters, and will survive this one. Lesson learnt, back up more. Tomorrow I will be buying two portable hard-drives, so I'll have two back ups and the primary one. This does not go well with my mental health as it is.
Oh, damn. I am really sorry to read that. :(
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Just lost about 8 months of work on my own sci fi universe, due to a corrupt portable hard drive. I am gutted. But I have been doing it for nearly 28 years, and it's survived several disasters, and will survive this one. Lesson learnt, back up more. Tomorrow I will be buying two portable hard-drives, so I'll have two back ups and the primary one. This does not go well with my mental health as it is.
Yeesh, that sucks. I hope you can recreate it all...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Cheers guys, I am just thankful that I at least have it backed up until around February time. Someone has informed me that you may be able to retrieve files from a corrupted hard drive, which I am in the process of attempting, which just got me £80, and I have also just got myself on dropbox (for another £80) so I can use that as future back up too. Hopefully this retrieval works, I only really need it for this years work, which is still quite a bit, so fingers crossed it works. The retrieval program says it will take another hour and half to scan the hard drive, then I will hopefully be able to save the files to the laptop, and then to dropbox. All in all it has been a long and expensive day, but fingers crossed this pans out and my work is rescued. I was in a state this morning when it happened, don't even know how it did, I just plugged in the hard drive and it said it was corrupted. I am doing better now than I was, but I am still very anxious to know if my work is retrievable.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Cheers guys, I am just thankful that I at least have it backed up until around February time. Someone has informed me that you may be able to retrieve files from a corrupted hard drive, which I am in the process of attempting, which just got me £80, and I have also just got myself on dropbox (for another £80) so I can use that as future back up too. Hopefully this retrieval works, I only really need it for this years work, which is still quite a bit, so fingers crossed it works. The retrieval program says it will take another hour and half to scan the hard drive, then I will hopefully be able to save the files to the laptop, and then to dropbox. All in all it has been a long and expensive day, but fingers crossed this pans out and my work is rescued. I was in a state this morning when it happened, don't even know how it did, I just plugged in the hard drive and it said it was corrupted. I am doing better now than I was, but I am still very anxious to know if my work is retrievable.
Fingers and toes crossed, Tindarin!
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Fingers and toes crossed, Tindarin!
Thank you. It took 10 hours but I managed to use the recovery program to rescue my work, and have saved it to dropbox. There are insufficient words to describe my elation.