What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by McAvoy »

T'Pau wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:14 pm Looks like the roots of the toppled tree were not in very deep, and the sod simply lifted with the roots when the tree fell.
Never understood planting trees that have shallow roots. The place where I live have a ton of these trees. Pretty in bloom, pink or white but looks like a weed tree most of the time. Big storms like this always brings a few down.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:57 pm
Nutso wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:06 pm Was a serious storm.
On the bright side, Hobbiton is born!
Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
:shock: How... how? How did the lawn do that?!
I think it's sod, not soil. Probably laid down in Spring. Put on a lawn like this:

So when the tree, even with it's shallow roots, is knocked over, the whole sod comes up like carpet. Never seen sod that huge. I've only ever seen them in strips like the pic above.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Yes, I said sod, not soil.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:04 pm
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:57 pm
Nutso wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:06 pm Was a serious storm.
On the bright side, Hobbiton is born!
Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
:shock: How... how? How did the lawn do that?!
I think it's sod, not soil. Probably laid down in Spring. Put on a lawn like this:

So when the tree, even with it's shallow roots, is knocked over, the whole sod comes up like carpet. Never seen sod that huge. I've only ever seen them in strips like the pic above.
Chances are that wasn't done recently if at all, but it is possible. Only reason why I doubt it was done recently is that grass always has issues growing around a tree. Usually when you see a tree down it only brings up thd immediate area around its roots.

Mature grass takes a bit of time to interlink their roots so they can can be ripped up from the ground like a carpet.

Pretty much how sod is made really.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Nutso wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:04 pm

All right. That makes sense. It still just looks... really weird, you know? Just lifted up like that.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

It's 2020...anything and everything is possible.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

My mental health had been taken a fairly low paced decline over the last couple of years, due to being isolated and just because my mental health has always sucked. But since March it took a nose dive. I've applied for housing back in my home town so I will be near family, waiting to hear from them, and also starting a blog to talk about various topics such as mental health in general, schizophrenia, anxiety, LGBTQ+, self harm, and also perhaps about my created universe, which I am much more open about these days anyway. I think it would help to get my thoughts and feelings down, update it once a week, and hopefully in the process either help someone else to reach out if they need it, or educate people on mental health matters, as there is still a lot of stigma surrounding mental health and schizophrenia.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:58 am My mental health had been taken a fairly low paced decline over the last couple of years, due to being isolated and just because my mental health has always sucked. But since March it took a nose dive. I've applied for housing back in my home town so I will be near family, waiting to hear from them, and also starting a blog to talk about various topics such as mental health in general, schizophrenia, anxiety, LGBTQ+, self harm, and also perhaps about my created universe, which I am much more open about these days anyway. I think it would help to get my thoughts and feelings down, update it once a week, and hopefully in the process either help someone else to reach out if they need it, or educate people on mental health matters, as there is still a lot of stigma surrounding mental health and schizophrenia.
I'm sorry to read, tindarin. :( I hope the housing application goes through.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:58 am My mental health had been taken a fairly low paced decline over the last couple of years, due to being isolated and just because my mental health has always sucked. But since March it took a nose dive. I've applied for housing back in my home town so I will be near family, waiting to hear from them, and also starting a blog to talk about various topics such as mental health in general, schizophrenia, anxiety, LGBTQ+, self harm, and also perhaps about my created universe, which I am much more open about these days anyway. I think it would help to get my thoughts and feelings down, update it once a week, and hopefully in the process either help someone else to reach out if they need it, or educate people on mental health matters, as there is still a lot of stigma surrounding mental health and schizophrenia.
Sorry to hear this buddy. I hope everything works out with the home town. It's really cool that you're using this terrible time as a creative conduit. I hope it helps.
Stan - South Park
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Thank you both. The housing is finally progressing.

I met an amazing Human, the first real genuine connection in my life, and I am optimistic about my future for the first time in many years.

And then today I found out one aunt died last night (alcoholism related), and another is hospitalised with pneumonia. We've not been close for years, but it still sucks. I don't know what the fuck to make of 2020.

I find it very hard to make any meaningful connection to people, for various reasons, but the new person in my life is amazing. We are both nonbinary, both asexual, both Trekkies. They are thoughtful, insightful, intelligent, and more precious than all the of latinum in the galaxy. I will hold on to that.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:28 pm Thank you both. The housing is finally progressing.

I met an amazing Human, the first real genuine connection in my life, and I am optimistic about my future for the first time in many years.

And then today I found out one aunt died last night (alcoholism related), and another is hospitalised with pneumonia. We've not been close for years, but it still sucks. I don't know what the fuck to make of 2020.

I find it very hard to make any meaningful connection to people, for various reasons, but the new person in my life is amazing. We are both nonbinary, both asexual, both Trekkies. They are thoughtful, insightful, intelligent, and more precious than all the of latinum in the galaxy. I will hold on to that.
I hope you and the new person have a great life together. And I'm very sorry to read of your aunts dying.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Condolences on your loss and congrats on finding your person...that's amazing!
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

2020 is just WTF? It can't make up it's mind. I am focusing on the new person, because they are amazing and I can hardly stop smiling when I think of them, and we just video chatted/gamed etc for over 7 hours, and I see them Friday, but at the same time it's like seriously 2020?

But thank you, hopefully my second Aunt will pull through.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:28 am 2020 is just WTF? It can't make up it's mind. I am focusing on the new person, because they are amazing and I can hardly stop smiling when I think of them, and we just video chatted/gamed etc for over 7 hours, and I see them Friday, but at the same time it's like seriously 2020?

But thank you, hopefully my second Aunt will pull through.
Well, 2020 is three-quarter over. "Hindsight is 20/20" will never be used as an expression without us squinting and taking a moment to spit. However, I am gladdened to see things looking up for you. :) Sorry about your aunt, hoping the best for your other aunt, losing family, close to you or not, is still a loss.
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

At this point, 2020 can go fuck off into the dumpster.