What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Mikey wrote:So, I just found out that my nephew - who will be attending law school at BC in the fall - will be graduating F&M next month magna cum laude with a Phi Beta Kappa key.
Congrats! I have no idea what most of that means, but it sounds really impressive!
OK, F&M = his current school, Franklin and Marshall (the level to which you would refer as "college" or "uni," I believe.)
BC = Boston College, at which he will be attending law school
"magna cum laude" = most American colleges and universities cite Latin honors to graduating students who have earned academic recognition in three levels -
cum laude ("with praise,") magna cum laude ("with great praise,") and summa cum laude ("with highest praise.") While the exact criterion for each is up to the individual institution, a generic rule of thumb is that cum laude students are in the top 25% of their class or so, with the others being more exclusive from that baseline.
"Phi Beta Kappa" = the oldest and most prestigious honor society for liberal arts and sciences students in the country. Entry (by invitation) is tangibly represented by a token called a "key," though it physically bears more resemblance to my eye to a fancy key fob.
"nephew" = my sister's son.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:magna cum laude
I can only guess that means he needs to be quieter during sex? :worried:
Mikey wrote:Phi Beta Kappa key
Woosh... no idea sorry.

Either congratulations or commiserations, which ever is appropriate. Really really well done, or what a terrible shame, either way. :oops:
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:"nephew" = my sister's son.
Here it can mean your sister's son or brother's son, so you can understand how we could be confused. :lol:
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:
Mikey wrote:So, I just found out that my nephew - who will be attending law school at BC in the fall - will be graduating F&M next month magna cum laude with a Phi Beta Kappa key.
Congrats! I have no idea what most of that means, but it sounds really impressive!
OK, F&M = his current school, Franklin and Marshall (the level to which you would refer as "college" or "uni," I believe.)
BC = Boston College, at which he will be attending law school
"magna cum laude" = most American colleges and universities cite Latin honors to graduating students who have earned academic recognition in three levels -
cum laude ("with praise,") magna cum laude ("with great praise,") and summa cum laude ("with highest praise.") While the exact criterion for each is up to the individual institution, a generic rule of thumb is that cum laude students are in the top 25% of their class or so, with the others being more exclusive from that baseline.
"Phi Beta Kappa" = the oldest and most prestigious honor society for liberal arts and sciences students in the country. Entry (by invitation) is tangibly represented by a token called a "key," though it physically bears more resemblance to my eye to a fancy key fob.
"nephew" = my sister's son.
Then congratulations to him.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:I can only guess that means he needs to be quieter during sex?
I cannot overstate how much that is not my concern.
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I punched into work, walked to my area out back... and there were about thirty assembled bikes just there. I had to move them all before I could start to do anything. The first hour of my day, fucking GONE. :bangwall:
I remember those days. When I worked in the back for Wally World my work area was right next to the assemblers'. Like the assemblers well enough but sorting one-touch next to 25 bikes and pieces of bikes is annoying to say the least.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Congratulations indeed to him!
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I punched into work, walked to my area out back... and there were about thirty assembled bikes just there. I had to move them all before I could start to do anything. The first hour of my day, fucking GONE. :bangwall:
I remember those days. When I worked in the back for Wally World my work area was right next to the assemblers'. Like the assemblers well enough but sorting one-touch next to 25 bikes and pieces of bikes is annoying to say the least.
If it was the assemblers where I work, they wouldn't have been in my area. They're actually quite courteous.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I woke up with three cats but will go to sleep with two. Oliver was 17, which is a pretty good lifetime for a cat. In the last week he got sick and by today was declining badly. The vet indicated he came in with hypothermia (92 degrees Fahrenheit where a cat is usually a bit warmer than a human, 101 or so) with very low blood sugar and blood pressure. Further tests indicated high white blood cells (suggesting infection) and high liver related enzymes. It seemed he didn't have much time left on earth so we had him put to eternal sleep. RIP.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:I woke up with three cats but will go to sleep with two. Oliver was 17, which is a pretty good lifetime for a cat. In the last week he got sick and by today was declining badly. The vet indicated he came in with hypothermia (92 degrees Fahrenheit where a cat is usually a bit warmer than a human, 101 or so) with very low blood sugar and blood pressure. Further tests indicated high white blood cells (suggesting infection) and high liver related enzymes. It seemed he didn't have much time left on earth so we had him put to eternal sleep. RIP.
Poor little thing. But he had a good long life, and was loved. That's a good life for any cat. RIP.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:I woke up with three cats but will go to sleep with two. Oliver was 17, which is a pretty good lifetime for a cat. In the last week he got sick and by today was declining badly. The vet indicated he came in with hypothermia (92 degrees Fahrenheit where a cat is usually a bit warmer than a human, 101 or so) with very low blood sugar and blood pressure. Further tests indicated high white blood cells (suggesting infection) and high liver related enzymes. It seemed he didn't have much time left on earth so we had him put to eternal sleep. RIP.
Sorry to read, CPH. Sounds like he was a good kitty, there.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Sorry about the cat :cry:

Headed to NYC on Tuesday to see my favorite band - sadly, it's not often I get to the city these days, and I can't stick around as I work Wednesday night.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

:( Sorry, CPH. I know firsthand that having had a good run with a pet doesn't make it any easier.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Indeed, sorry CPH. My first cat lived until she was 18 and was very happy, as I'm sure yours was too.
email, ergo spam
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Thanks all. Each of ours seems (or seemed) quite happy; they've been well cared for. Having had him around for so long, I grew accustomed to him and it's certainly strange not having him here. We've got another who's even older too. Knowing that nothing is eternal doesn't ever quite make one prepared to lose something. In this case, though he was old, his ultimate demise happened pretty quickly - little over a week from a healthy cat to a dead one.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who