What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I assume Blackstar meant a Chevrolet Cavalier, which is FAR from an SUV.

Ian - forget about the Steve Irwin-stingray connection. What happened to him was a freak accident, and most rays are retiring creatures who can't do any serious, lasting harm. Except for mantas, who can sometimes land on top of you. I live at the Jersey shore, and regularly swim in the ocean with various types of skates and rays. Just enjoy the trip!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... av_II_.jpg

This is what she meant. its not a Chevrolet, as you can see.
As for the trip, Exactly, Mikey. You have fun on your cruise.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Reliant - it's the same car. Vauxhall is General Motors' British brand, and they didn't even change the name when cloning the vehicle. But we are both correct in saying that a Cavalier is almost as un-SUV as one can get.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I looked at the Chevrolet Cavalier and it had a completely different design. Oh well. It isn't important anyway.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Make sure you're comparing the same MODEL YEARS, Reliant.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

oh...
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Well, I am at least going to university, got two offers so far. Only problem is they're from my 'backup' universities, so still waiting on my main ones. Which isn't surprising, as they have far more applicants. I believe Durham (my top uni) has 12 students apply for every physics place availablem, and on top of that uses a collegiate system, so I don't expect a reply for quite a while. I also think Manchester has a similar number of applicants.

Here's to sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll :wink:

And in other news, my sister, nephew and niece are visiting soon [who I rarely see], and I'm still hungover from a friend's 18th party on Friday (sic) night...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Good luck with Durham, Thorin. Who've you got replies back from so far?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good luck with the universities, Thorin. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Captain Seafort wrote:Good luck with Durham, Thorin. Who've you got replies back from so far?
Thanks Rochey & Seafort.

Got replies so far from Sheffield and York. York offered me BBB - which if I don't get I should be shot (having got AAA last year...) - while Sheffield have yet to give me the specific conditions [grades], but have said I will get one - probably about ABB.

You can apply to 5 universities, my 5th one was Bath - purely because I thought I might aswell use up all 5 (it's not extra cost). My reasoning behind Bath was purely because it was the first university I saw in the list that I knew a friend would be studying at. I don't even know where Bath is, haven't visited it (ever), or even looked at their website. To be honest, I don't even care if I don't get any sort of response from Bath, I ain't going there :lol:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm going to third Rochey and Seafort: good luck, man. I hope you get to go somewhere good (and I hope your parents don't go bankrupt paying for it :wink: ). We need all the physicists we can get.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Physics is a priority subject, so at a few universities they offer a few more bursaries for studying it.

However, I have figured out this (based on family income, loans, bursaries, grades, etc).

Best case scenario of debt after 3 years of Bachelors in Physics; £15,000
Likelyness - virtually impossible

Worst case scenario of debt after 4 years of masters in Theoretical Physics; £40,000
Likelyness - high

:lol:

Oh my.

Currently, I've applied for a 3 year bachelors in physics, but I'm finding it more likely of changing to a masters in physics or a masters in theoretical physics (which you can do at any point within the first two years of the course).
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:Reliant - it's the same car. Vauxhall is General Motors' British brand, and they didn't even change the name when cloning the vehicle. But we are both correct in saying that a Cavalier is almost as un-SUV as one can get.
It was a Chevy Cavalier. 97 LS model, 2.2 liter engine, 141,000 miles on it, air conditioning(which I think broke mid summer last year) AM/FM stereo, cassette and CD player(not the original system I think), 4-wheel ABS, Duel Front Air Bags.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Good luck, Thorin. *Cheers him on*
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The workings of British higher education seem to be an alien concept to me, but I certainly wish you the best of luck, Thorin. And trust me - that student debt looks imposing, but it is possible to overcome it.
as Bull offed Custer