What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Jim »

All that Groot says is "I am Groot"... that's it. That is all that he has ever said. It is not meant to take itself seriously.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mikey wrote:
Teaos wrote:I havent seen it. But it just looks... stupid.
I would say parts look silly, rather than stpid, but intentionally so.
When I first saw a trailer for it I thought it looked a bit odd but it does seem that's by design (to some extent). Based on the great reviews (including from my sister as well as impartial rottentomatoes.com 92% rating) I plan to see it. I would have gone today on a day off but I'm not feeling great today. What I gather is just that it's a fun movie.

My father's eye surgeries are done, and he seems to be back to normal.

Getting back to work hasn't been entirely bad (my schedule's not heavy to begin with but the work does keep me occupied and it's good for my well-being. I get crazy just sitting around for too long). I ran the shop alone Monday through Wednesday with no major issues. The owner (who puts in much longer hours) is back now.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

gpood to hear about your father.

And yeah, fun. That describes Guardians of the Galaxy to a tee. It's fun, it's funny, but it's also got some serious moments and shocks. But overall, I laughed so hard on occasion I was tearing up.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Because of a decline in my mental health, I have been out of work for over a year now, and pretty much hiding from everyone. However, now that treatment seems to be helping, I'm now in the process of setting up my own business and will be working voluntarily for Stonewall over the next couple of weeks to get me used to Humans again. Start on Tuesday.

I am scared as hell, but glad that I seem to be making headway once again. This year has been anything but easy, but it could always be worse, and I intend to make the most of what I have.

Next on the agenda is to find a boyfriend. I miss the companionship of having that someone special, it's just difficult finding someone when you suffer with social anxiety.

Actually, I hate the word suffer. I don't feel like I suffer. I know I'm different, and I don't fit in. But that's different to me than suffering.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Because of a decline in my mental health, I have been out of work for over a year now, and pretty much hiding from everyone. However, now that treatment seems to be helping, I'm now in the process of setting up my own business and will be working voluntarily for Stonewall over the next couple of weeks to get me used to Humans again. Start on Tuesday.

I am scared as hell, but glad that I seem to be making headway once again. This year has been anything but easy, but it could always be worse, and I intend to make the most of what I have.

Next on the agenda is to find a boyfriend. I miss the companionship of having that someone special, it's just difficult finding someone when you suffer with social anxiety.

Actually, I hate the word suffer. I don't feel like I suffer. I know I'm different, and I don't fit in. But that's different to me than suffering.
I find social anxiety to be quite logical. Who would enjoy being in a crowd of strangers?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Good to hear things are looking up, Tindarin. :)

Now I feel kinda bad, because I had a pretty rotten day and was about to vent. But overall my life's pretty good.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I find social anxiety to be quite logical. Who would enjoy being in a crowd of strangers?
I've suffered with it since I was a child. I was one of five kids, but the only one that used to play alone rather than go outside with all the others, and spent the last 2-3 years of Secondary School in and out of hospital with anxiety attacks, though at that time they had no idea what it was.

I have spent much of my adult life trying to force myself to embrace society, and have only managed to make matters 1,000 times worse, as I had been harming myself (to the point of breaking my hand in three places) to deal with being among people. I struggle a lot around people, but I also wish that I had one or two close friends that I could spend a little time with and confide in. My only real friend is many miles away now, so I just hide myself away.

Hopefully if (when) I get this business up and going I might make a new friend or two that I can learn to be around.

It's difficult with my family as I also have possible schizophrenia and autism, and my mother is schizophrenic but she craves attention while I abhor it, and my dad kind of just pretends everything is just "normal", what ever that is. They split up years ago because of her mental health.

I have found things getting easier since I stopped denying my mental health issues and my sexuality, and began embracing who I am. I have been far more open about it, because I feel if my being open about it can help one person who would otherwise have hidden it like me, then any discomfort is worthwhile.
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Good to hear things are looking up, Tindarin. :)

Now I feel kinda bad, because I had a pretty rotten day and was about to vent. But overall my life's pretty good.
Thank you :) I hope your day perks up :)
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: I feel if my being open about it can help one person who would otherwise have hidden it like me, then any discomfort is worthwhile.
Agreed.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Well, my life has been SO complicated. One of my friend's was accused of assaulting his ex-gf and her current wife. P.S. She's crazy, he probably didn't do it from her history of insanity. But yeah, I've been helping him deal with that as well as some of my other friends trying to get him cleared of the charges. He has a good lawyer, but he has a record already and the judge seems to mostly hate him already.

I also have recently been diagnosed with clinical depression and started taking anti-depressants. It may or may not be helping, but I've been told that it may take a month or so to start really taking effect. I have some friends who have been really supportive through it which is really nice.

So that's the most recent update on my life, which is pretty hellish, it's been very hectic and been painful to deal with, but I've been ok.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Nickswitz wrote:Well, my life has been SO complicated. One of my friend's was accused of assaulting his ex-gf and her current wife. P.S. She's crazy, he probably didn't do it from her history of insanity. But yeah, I've been helping him deal with that as well as some of my other friends trying to get him cleared of the charges. He has a good lawyer, but he has a record already and the judge seems to mostly hate him already.

I also have recently been diagnosed with clinical depression and started taking anti-depressants. It may or may not be helping, but I've been told that it may take a month or so to start really taking effect. I have some friends who have been really supportive through it which is really nice.

So that's the most recent update on my life, which is pretty hellish, it's been very hectic and been painful to deal with, but I've been ok.
People sometimes call depression the 'common cold' of mental illnesses due to it's prevalence but it's definitely not a minor nuisance. Along with other stuff I have a seemingly moderate grade but chronic depression. Given how that 'other stuff' affects me I sometimes take some depression as a natural (sane) result of reflecting on a 'limited' life. Of course depression is commonly co-morbid in many other mental problems, whether for the reflective reason I speculate or some other. It's sometimes hard for me to tell why I'm particularly tired at any given time (high sugar can make you feel extremely worn out, even decently controlled diabetes has ups and downs) but generally my energy levels range from low to lower to almost comatose (as well as my level of engagement in / interest about doing things).

As I've said in the past I have virtually no social network to rely on (outside of immediate family), being extremely withdrawn. Nick remembers as we briefly met over a dinner in NYC. Studies show a strong link between relationship status and well-being. I can't say much else as I'm a loner but I'd have to say counting on whatever good relationships you have is a good place to start. Good luck.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:...depression as a natural (sane) result of reflecting on a 'limited' life...
^this.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Depression is something I have limited personal experience with, but it's hit me like a mack truck each time. Nick, CPH, Tsuki? *Hugs all three of them*
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:)
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Well, I'm back from holiday. A cruise from Copenhagen to St. Petersburg and back. This was the route:

The bad news is that the day before we got to Estonia (Tallinn) I came down with a chest infection. I ended up in the sick bay for several hours on a drip with a temperature in excess of 100F. Then they took an ex-ray of my chest and discovered that I had Pneumonia in one lung. Two days of IV antibiotics and a week of tablets, capsules and cough mixture followed. The upshot is that I missed Tallinn and St. Petersburg completely, didn't even get off the boat. I've still two more days of pills to take, but able to go into work today.
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Funny I am joining ship tomorrow, Vancouver to Tokyo via Russia and China.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.