What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Flickering, lots of wind and rain. Roads are bad. I'm glad I stayed home tonight. Driving home at 1 AM would not be fun.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Much wind here. Power flickered but so far holding steady.

Also, I seem to be stuck in the mobile version of the forum. Help?

Never mind.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Police and fire department have closed off second ave in front of my building and block just south of me. Apparently some scaffolding is loose and swinging around breaking windows. Despite the conditions and being told to stay inside I can hear people outside and police yelling at them to stay off the street.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Those people sound like idiots.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

There are always a few many of them.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tsukiyumi wrote:There are always a few many of them.
To quote one of my favorite Metallica songs, sad but true.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Hope everyone is safe from the storm.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Hope everyone in the area of the storm is safe and well.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I watched it from 42nd street off 8th. Green lightning from power station blowing up around 54th and some trees blowing down the street. All to the sound track if sirens all night. No one in the roads. I kept power and water the whole night.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I had my power out since 7:45 last night, only recently getting it back. Running water never stopped working at least. In my little pocket of the region things weren't catastrophic, though apparently lower Manhattan is a mess. Many low-lying areas including lower Manhattan were inundated after NY-record storm surges over-topped the seawalls. Since many of the city's utilities are run underground that's a problem; there's no solid news on when the subways will be operational again. Several subway stations were flooded and there was electrical damage to the system despite the best protective efforts of the MTA.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Well, off to work tonight for me.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

My house lost phone and cable, but not power or water. I personally got to witness the storm from the hospital - it appears I lost consciousness Sunday afternoon and cracked my head open on the floor... I remain in the hospital waiting for for some endocrinological analysis and for someone to read my EEG.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:My house lost phone and cable, but not power or water. I personally got to witness the storm from the hospital - it appears I lost consciousness Sunday afternoon and cracked my head open on the floor... I remain in the hospital waiting for for some endocrinological analysis and for someone to read my EEG.
You've mentioned this already on the previous page. How hard did you hit your head? :|
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:My house lost phone and cable, but not power or water. I personally got to witness the storm from the hospital - it appears I lost consciousness Sunday afternoon and cracked my head open on the floor... I remain in the hospital waiting for for some endocrinological analysis and for someone to read my EEG.
You've mentioned this already on the previous page. How hard did you hit your head? :|
Pretty damned hard.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

It's interesting to be temporarily thrown 100 years or so into the past, albeit with flashlights and battery-operated portable radios (and in my case, a blood glucose meter and insulin pump) but I don't like it. I'm just too accustomed to all this newfangled technology to give it up readily.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who