What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by IanKennedy »

Happy new year.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Happy new year, all!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

So... snow/ice showers last Sunday, I was out with my father cleaning up the driveway. Wew get to my car. I unlock it and he pulls on the handle, snapping it off. An accident, mind. So I brought my car in to get the handle replaced... and they made it worse. I not only have to take it to another place, but right now I need to pull on a fucking metal pole to open the door from the inside. :bangwall: Oh, and a filling I had replaced two months ago fell out. Again. !ouch)
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

The only time in the four years I was doing my undergrad (in Iowa) that class was cancelled for inclement weather was when we got a freak blizzard that dropped 20 inches of snow on the town virtually overnight. 1st year at my grad school (in NC) and they've already cancelled classes till noon, because we might get an inch overnight. This is amazing.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Last week when NJ got maybe an inch of snow on the ground but it was in the teens in temperature, I was driving my Dad's work van. I was cutting through a neighborhood and there was a layer of snow on the ground. This particular neighborhood was a curvy step up. So I ended up going straight when I was supposed to take a left. Slammed hard into the metal drain grate and metal curb setup. Hit it dead on. I go to the left or right I would have hopped a curb maybe two inches high.

Anyway, I damaged the front bumper and rocked the front end. Bumper no big deal, just cracked and easily repaired. When I rocked the front end the frame was warped so that the hood when closed has a full inch gap. Took it to the local shop to see if they can get it closed. Managed to do it.

Long story short, we were already talking about replacing the van before this as the van has been beat up and has high milage. I hastened the decision. The van runs fine and straight though so not a pressing need right now.

Oh and I forgot, the front tires were bald. Which could explain why I slid forward even at 10 MPH.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Lt. Staplic wrote:The only time in the four years I was doing my undergrad (in Iowa) that class was cancelled for inclement weather was when we got a freak blizzard that dropped 20 inches of snow on the town virtually overnight. 1st year at my grad school (in NC) and they've already cancelled classes till noon, because we might get an inch overnight. This is amazing.
Key word: "NC." An inch on the ground to Carolinians is like a foot to us or two to a hawkeye.
McAvoy wrote:Oh and I forgot, the front tires were bald. Which could explain why I slid forward even at 10 MPH.
I have good all-season tires and I still did an unintentional 180 in a parking lot the other day. When the temp drops that much overnight, there is nothing you can do about black ice.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

God, I hate black ice. Well, I hate winter weather overall, but I really hate black ice. Snow, you see it, you know what to expect. Black ice, you don't know it's there!
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Lt. Staplic wrote:The only time in the four years I was doing my undergrad (in Iowa) that class was cancelled for inclement weather was when we got a freak blizzard that dropped 20 inches of snow on the town virtually overnight. 1st year at my grad school (in NC) and they've already cancelled classes till noon, because we might get an inch overnight. This is amazing.
I knew a transplant from the Northeastern US who lived in North Carolina. He kept complaining about the drivers in Winter. Particularly their ignorance of the effects of snow/ice on roads. They have these big 4x4 trucks but think that means that they can gun the accelerator as though it was a dry summer day, and then they end up in ditches or wrapped around poles. He complained because their accidents caused him to be stuck in traffic. Be glad the local government is looking out for you.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote:Last week when NJ got maybe an inch of snow on the ground but it was in the teens in temperature, I was driving my Dad's work van. I was cutting through a neighborhood and there was a layer of snow on the ground. This particular neighborhood was a curvy step up. So I ended up going straight when I was supposed to take a left. Slammed hard into the metal drain grate and metal curb setup. Hit it dead on. I go to the left or right I would have hopped a curb maybe two inches high.

Anyway, I damaged the front bumper and rocked the front end. Bumper no big deal, just cracked and easily repaired. When I rocked the front end the frame was warped so that the hood when closed has a full inch gap. Took it to the local shop to see if they can get it closed. Managed to do it.

Long story short, we were already talking about replacing the van before this as the van has been beat up and has high milage. I hastened the decision. The van runs fine and straight though so not a pressing need right now.

Oh and I forgot, the front tires were bald. Which could explain why I slid forward even at 10 MPH.
At least you're okay, buddy.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Wasn't a bad crash like I was thrown out of the vehicle.

This is my first moving accident since 2001. All accidents I had was me sitting at a red light or a parking spot and people trying to wreck my cars.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

My nephew fell in the shower yesterday, due to some then-unknown reason, and had to be treated for a concussion. He is still hospitalized pending a neurological diagnosis as to the cause of the fall but the prevailing theory is a new onset of epilepsy. Now this (frankly phenomenal, if I may say as he's not actually a blood relative) 16-year-old young man has to give up driving, football, and baseball - the cornerstones of his life - for the time being at least, and instead deal with the realities of what may be grand mal seizures.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Same thing happen to a relative of mine but substitute football and baseball for rugby and cricket. He switched tracks to coaching/management and sport medicine. In hindisght he said he doubted he was quite good enough to go pro, so the switch actually ended up allowing him to do what he loves for a living rather than a hobby.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Sorry to read, Mikey. :(
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hey guys... where in relation to London is Glastonbury?
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

About a hundred or so miles west. Why do you ask, thinking of going?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.