What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Mikey »

Had the opportunity yesterday to do a head-to-head comparison of the Lagavulin 16 to the Laphroaig 10. While most don’t appreciate the smokiest Islays anyway, I find the Laphroaig to be the hands-down winner. Even with it’s more medicinal and iodine flavor, it’s smoother than the Lagavulin and ramps up the smokiness at the finish rather than smacking you with all the flavors at once. Now, just to arrange a match between the Laphroaig and the Kilchoman Machir Bay...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:Had the opportunity yesterday to do a head-to-head comparison of the Lagavulin 16 to the Laphroaig 10. While most don’t appreciate the smokiest Islays anyway, I find the Laphroaig to be the hands-down winner. Even with it’s more medicinal and iodine flavor, it’s smoother than the Lagavulin and ramps up the smokiness at the finish rather than smacking you with all the flavors at once. Now, just to arrange a match between the Laphroaig and the Kilchoman Machir Bay...
Can't argue with this one bit, but damn the nose on the Lagavilin is unmatched.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I am, as you say, one of those who don't like the peaty malts. I far prefer the smoothness of The Macallan or a fiery one like Talisker.

I've been trying Bourbons lately, I'm particularly keen on Blanton's Gold. Although for a very cheap drink Bulleit Bourbon is pretty decent.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Bulleit is very decent quality for the price. In fact, I would put their 10-year rye as equal or superior to many more expensive ryes. As far as bourbons go, call me old-fashioned but I don’t think there’s much better than Maker’s Mark with it’s wonderful vanilla finish or Knob Creek. I prefer sour mashes but if you want to go the other way the Elijah Wood single-barrel is excellent (particularly for Ian’s taste - it’s a bit like swallowing a live wildcat.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

By Elijah Wood I presume you mean Elijah Craig, Unless Frodo has started making whiskey? :)
email, ergo spam
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Just had my first "new" psychology session (I have attempted psychology numerous times over the years, but struggles as I never felt comfortable with the psychologist, but had my 2-hour assessment with this one first, and specifically asked him to do the sessions instead of referring me to someone else). Next week I am doing some test to determine potential for autism, and depending on that will likely be referred for a full autism assessment, which will be way off, as there's a long waiting list. But I have the psychology sessions for about 6 months, and also see a psychiatrist every few months, and have been relatively stable on my current medication mix for about two years. When I was in the mental health unit a few years ago they said they would assess me for autism, but then didn't, and I just didn't know how to follow it up, but he mentioned it today. It will be nice to finally have some answers.

Also, my DITL mug and teddy to add to my collections... HERE
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Glad to here you may have someone you can trust I wouldn't have thought that would be key with this kind of treatment.

Gosh someone has bought from our store. I don't think we've ever made any money from that, as there is a minimum sale cost before they will pay out. :)
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

IIRC we've sold like six items in the entire history of DITL. It wasn't really something we ever thought we'd make money off, it was just done for fun.

Interestingly, the DITL logo was created so we would have something we could put on merchandise. We figured Paramount probably wouldn't like us selling hats and mugs with the Enterprise logo on them!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

IanKennedy wrote:Glad to here you may have someone you can trust I wouldn't have thought that would be key with this kind of treatment.

Gosh someone has bought from our store. I don't think we've ever made any money from that, as there is a minimum sale cost before they will pay out. :)
You would think that would be key, but in the past, I was passed from one professional to another, and never had the chance to actually get to trust them. And my last care coordinator I didn't get on with at all. Apparently she is a lovely person, but I just felt extremely uncomfortable with her. My current care coordinator has been great, and I have made a tremendous amount of progress since seeing her. She comes to my flat, as I am rather uncomfortable around Humans, though I have started attending asexual meet ups in the southern UK (Exeter) and stay in a hotel for the weekend to avoid travelling on the weekend. I get the coach down, as it's 180 miles, and I can't be doing that on the train.

But I wouldn't be doing any of it if I hadn't had the support from my care coordinator. I have even applied for a part time college course starting in February, and if that goes okay, I will go on to full time. And my care coordinator will likely discharge me early next year, though I will still continue on the medication indefinitely, and see the psychiatrist on a regular basis.

I collect mugs and teddies (among other things) so I thought they would be nice additions to my collections :)
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

The USA store has made 4 sales since 2005 totalling $7.40, and requires $10 before we would see any of that money.
The EU / UK store has made 7 sales since 2005 totalling £9.09, and also requires £10 before we would see any money.

Indeed the logo was specially designed for this purpose :)
email, ergo spam
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

IanKennedy wrote:I am, as you say, one of those who don't like the peaty malts. I far prefer the smoothness of The Macallan or a fiery one like Talisker.

I've been trying Bourbons lately, I'm particularly keen on Blanton's Gold. Although for a very cheap drink Bulleit Bourbon is pretty decent.

The Balvenie 15 Sherry Cask at about $160 USD a bottle is my favorite Scotch I can tend to afford. I won't drink peat monsters often but I always enjoy their noses. And flour has a cask strength sherry boy that is a monster at 121 proof but it is so hot and fruity.

I agree on Bulleit Rye. Outside of Whistle Pig at three times the price, my go to burbon or rye is bulleit.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Bryan Moore wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:I am, as you say, one of those who don't like the peaty malts. I far prefer the smoothness of The Macallan or a fiery one like Talisker.

The Balvenie 15 Sherry Cask at about $160 USD a bottle is my favorite Scotch I can tend to afford. I won't drink peat monsters often but I always enjoy their noses. And flour has a cask strength sherry boy that is a monster at 121 proof but it is so hot and fruity.

I agree on Bulleit Rye. Outside of Whistle Pig at three times the price, my go to burbon or rye is bulleit.
Someone recently recommended a bourbon to me, "Basil Hayden's". It's very nice.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

So, some rather cool news. I'm getting interviewed on Friday for a podcast about my fanfic writing. I'm a little nervous about it, admittedly. :D
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:So, some rather cool news. I'm getting interviewed on Friday for a podcast about my fanfic writing. I'm a little nervous about it, admittedly. :D
Wow. Congrats Strike!
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Nutso wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:So, some rather cool news. I'm getting interviewed on Friday for a podcast about my fanfic writing. I'm a little nervous about it, admittedly. :D
Wow. Congrats Strike!
Thanks. :) Fingers crossed I don't completely whiff it. ;) :D