What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Griffin »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Teaos wrote:I just don't think empire strikes back had the sweeping story line the others had, it really did feel like filler and setting up for ROTJ.
:picard:

So you like Voyager, you don't like DS9, and you don't like ESB. What next? Colin Baker's the best dressed Doctor? Wesley Crusher should have been the Captain in TNG season 2? Enterprise had the best finale?
He is!
Bite my shiny metal ass
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I like DS9, I dont like TOS. And Wesley would make a fine.... nah, even I can't finish that sentence.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:I like DS9, I dont like TOS. And Wesley would make a fine.... nah, even I can't finish that sentence.
TOS is an acquired taste. Kinda like a sour ale. Some like it, some hate it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I dont "Hate" it, I just think it is so horribally dated that even the good stories are hindered by it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

After watching his scenes in ESB and ROTJ... Yoda does not nearly speak in that particular vernacular as much as people think he does.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Teaos wrote:I dont "Hate" it, I just think it is so horribally dated that even the good stories are hindered by it.
The look and feel doesn't take away from the storylines, IMO. At it's best, TOS put up really amazing stories the match of any that came later. Some of my all time favorite Trek episodes come out of TOS. It also broke new ground in a few areas in it's time - and set the stage for all the great Trek that came later.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:After watching his scenes in ESB and ROTJ... Yoda does not nearly speak in that particular vernacular as much as people think he does.
Consider this, I will.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I this, consider will!
Bite my shiny metal ass
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Sheriff of Rottingham: King illegal forest to pig wild kill in it a is!

Robin Hood, Maid Marian: What?

Sheriff of Rottingham: I mean, don't you know it's illegal to kill a wild pig in the king's forest?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
Teaos wrote:I dont "Hate" it, I just think it is so horribally dated that even the good stories are hindered by it.
The look and feel doesn't take away from the storylines, IMO. At it's best, TOS put up really amazing stories the match of any that came later. Some of my all time favorite Trek episodes come out of TOS. It also broke new ground in a few areas in it's time - and set the stage for all the great Trek that came later.
You have to crawl before you can walk. In some instances, TOS flew.
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:After watching his scenes in ESB and ROTJ... Yoda does not nearly speak in that particular vernacular as much as people think he does.
Consider this, I will.
Well, that's no worse than "Around the survivors, a perimeter create." :bangwall:
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

TOS fully equals the best of todays Sci-Fi, and surpasses the vast majority (yes, even the TOS stinkers surpass todays Sci-Fi stinkers :lol: ).
Last edited by Vic on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

double post
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Got to agree with Teaos, ESB is my least favourite wars film. I cannot stand it, it feels...like virtually nothing happens. I know there's quite a bit of character development but it just isn't interesting to me.

I also dislike TOS mostly because it is difficult for me to appreciate how "revolutionary" it was since the era in which it was made was roughly 3 decades before I was even conceived. Without that contextual appreciation, it just seems horribly dated.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I, erm, haven't actually seen ANY TOS. Runs away.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Griffin wrote:I, erm, haven't actually seen ANY TOS. Runs away.
Wow. You can usually catch it on our TV if you have cable or satellite TV here :)

I think they need to be watched to sort of...experience the trek genesis. But I don't think they hold a candle to later Trek series.