What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Teaos »

Razor blades about the same, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Razor blades about the same, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
No, I wasn't being hyperbolic. I paid $20 for a fluid oz. of my GIBS (Guys Into Beard Stuff) "Voodoo Prince" variety beard and tattoo oil. Sterling silver closed at $19.30/oz. today.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It won't be as expensive as printer ink. That's more expensive than the finest champagne.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:It won't be as expensive as printer ink. That's more expensive than the finest champagne.
Let's see...
The most expensive bottle of champagne in the world is the Dom Perignon Rose Gold 1996 6L, at $49,000 US.
That comes to $241.52 US per fluid ounce.

My beard oil, as mentioned, was $20 US per fluid ounce.

The most expensive single cartridge of ink I found on HP's website was the 950XL high-yield black ink cartridge, which contains 14mL of ink for a retail price of $37.99 US. That comes to $80.32 US per fluid ounce. So, printer ink is certainly more expensive than my beard oil (unless you actually shop for a better price,) but far behind the finest champagne.

Of course, to put in terms that Ian would appreciate more: easily topping them all at $24,914.73 US per fluid ounce is the 1940, 70-year aged, The Macallan "M." A 750mL bottle of this scotch, including its specially-made Lalique crystal decanter bottle, sold at auctionin January of 2014 for $631,850.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:It won't be as expensive as printer ink. That's more expensive than the finest champagne.
Let's see...
The most expensive bottle of champagne in the world is the Dom Perignon Rose Gold 1996 6L, at $49,000 US.
That comes to $241.52 US per fluid ounce.

My beard oil, as mentioned, was $20 US per fluid ounce.

The most expensive single cartridge of ink I found on HP's website was the 950XL high-yield black ink cartridge, which contains 14mL of ink for a retail price of $37.99 US. That comes to $80.32 US per fluid ounce. So, printer ink is certainly more expensive than my beard oil (unless you actually shop for a better price,) but far behind the finest champagne.

Of course, to put in terms that Ian would appreciate more: easily topping them all at $24,914.73 US per fluid ounce is the 1940, 70-year aged, The Macallan "M." A 750mL bottle of this scotch, including its specially-made Lalique crystal decanter bottle, sold at auctionin January of 2014 for $631,850.
Always cool when math is made interesting. :D
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well I need to stop saying printer ink is the most expensive liquid in the world available commercially.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

See the following:

Don't go for the most expensive cartridge, they tend to be the high yield ones that provide a better price / volume ratio. What you want to look for is the one that provided the smallest volume, as the price does not come down in the same proportion. The following page has quoted the price and volume used for the calculations and it seems to hold true. They are quoting HP 60 Ink cartridge, which I am finding at £26 which comes to £34 at today's exchange rate. The quoted capacity is 6.5ml. £34/6.5 * 1000 = $5,230.77 per litre.

Your example of champagne is $24,000 for a 6l bottle, which is only £4000 per litre.

http://visual.ly/printer-ink-most-expen ... quid-world
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Buy the same printer you have at work and steal the office cartridges.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:Of course, to put in terms that Ian would appreciate more: easily topping them all at $24,914.73 US per fluid ounce is the 1940, 70-year aged, The Macallan "M." A 750mL bottle of this scotch, including its specially-made Lalique crystal decanter bottle, sold at auctionin January of 2014 for $631,850.
Of cause I'm not sure how you disconnect the "Lalique crystal decanter bottle" part from that equation. Besides that's artwork, not a drink ;) The contents that is ;)
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

A painting is only artwork if you see it... great scotch is only artwork if you drink it. Of course, it's eminently likely that if the Macallan M is analogous to a Turner or Van Gogh, I'll spend my life restricted to a Pollock or Lichtenstein.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:A painting is only artwork if you see it... great scotch is only artwork if you drink it. Of course, it's eminently likely that if the Macallan M is analogous to a Turner or Van Gogh, I'll spend my life restricted to a Pollock or Lichtenstein.
If you want to drink Pollocks that's your personal lifestyle choice. :poke: I'm more than happy with my Macallan 18 year old sherry oak, it's getting difficult to get that at a 'decent' price. (like this one on Amazon)
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's still a bit rich for my blood, considering that even Stateside I can get Laphroaig 10, or Quarter Cask, for under $50.

*EDIT* Or, of course, Bulleit Bourbon White Oak 10 Years Old or Jim Beam Single Barrel for under $40; or Casamigos Reposado tequila for about the same.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Just waiting on the vetting checks and to get a contract in my hand but, I've just accepted a job offer for a new role! Finally get's me out of the umbrella of LBG.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Reliant121 wrote:Just waiting on the vetting checks and to get a contract in my hand but, I've just accepted a job offer for a new role! Finally get's me out of the umbrella of LBG.
Cool! Hope it goes well for you. :)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:Just waiting on the vetting checks and to get a contract in my hand but, I've just accepted a job offer for a new role! Finally get's me out of the umbrella of LBG.
I'm going to assume from your tone that a) by "LBG" you mean Lloyd's, and b) separating yourself from them is a good thing. So, congrats! I too am waiting for some bureaucracy to get sorted before taking a banking position. It will actually be the first experience in my life working outside of some sort of retail, but I'm intrigued by the idea of leaving work while it's still daylight all the time.
as Bull offed Custer