What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Mikey »

That's my point - the commute I mentioned is genrally 15-20 minutes, traffic included. I wasn't complaining of extra traffic, I was complaining of driving 25 mph on a roadway on which I normally do 75 mph, thanks to the weather conditions.

McAvoy - that's nucking futs.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Soccer moms Mikey. Soccer moms everywhere. When there is snow on the ground they take up both lanes and drive 5 MPH.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:Soccer moms Mikey. Soccer moms everywhere. When there is snow on the ground they take up both lanes and drive 5 MPH.
Yesterday, I found that the bigger problem was testosterone junkies with Jeeps who don't understand that 4WD doesn't help you brake any better.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, of course it does! They can go 60-70 in snow and ice and come out of it fine! Upside down, but fine!
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Mikey wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Soccer moms Mikey. Soccer moms everywhere. When there is snow on the ground they take up both lanes and drive 5 MPH.
Yesterday, I found that the bigger problem was testosterone junkies with Jeeps who don't understand that 4WD doesn't help you brake any better.
Testosterone junkies, young insecure punks, just plain old dumbasses. The real driving hazards on the roads. Besides the crumbling infrastructure.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

By me it's soccer moms more so than the young, or idiotic.

Princeton Junction is where there is are families that are rich but not quite rich enough to live near Princeton drive. These are doctors and Lawyers and successful business people.

They drive these big ass SUVs and minivans and small SUVs where they drive super slow the moment the ground is wet. Snow just gives them an excuse to drive like they own the road but afraid to claim it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

There's light at the end of that tunnel for all of us on the east coast US; it is by now gradually warming into spring. At least it's above 0C most of the time (except perhaps overnight lows on cooler days) so a lot of the accumulated snow has melted already. Earlier this week it was genuinely nice out though the ups and downs of day to day weather made it cooler again. Alas, tomorrow forecasts as cool and rainy.

I'm going to welcome being at work tomorrow anyway, since it will get me away from the noise caused by some work going on at home. The same was the case on Monday and Tuesday (the contractors apparently had other jobs Wednesday and Thu/Fri aren't convenient for us so the work picks up Sat and then next Monday). It's the bathroom: initially a leak at the bathtub (evidently rust around the drain, as it is/was a stainless steel tub closing on 30 years of age) that turned into a renovation of whole room with new tiling and fixtures all around. Right now a new tub is there, but with the surrounding wall panels removed all we can do is sort of carefully sponge-bath without splashing water over the edges.

And... I seem to have sciatic nerve pain in the upper right thigh and lower back starting in the last couple of weeks. There's also what is likely just eczema on one calf, though when I see the doc next week I'll get an opinion on whether it''s something else like ringworm (along with a prescription for physical therapy). Naproxen (generic Aleve), avoiding bending at the hip and walking as much as I can get out will manage for now.

On the plus side, I'm generally told I look younger than my 32 years, even if I don't always feel it.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

And tomorrow is April first. Prank day. Oh so great.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And tomorrow is April first. Prank day. Oh so great.
Boy am I glad I don't work tomorrow night...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Sonic Glitch wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And tomorrow is April first. Prank day. Oh so great.
Boy am I glad I don't work tomorrow night...
Aye. I'm glad I don't really have to leave my house, save to get the mail.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I think this might be last time I will go to Church. I am being forced to do this and my Dad says it will be good for me. That means he has no understanding why I am the way I am. I don't attend Muslim or Jewish ceremonies because that will be good for me.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

The snow is mostly gone around the yard, and good god it looks wrecked from the winter.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

So at tonight's Lakewood BlueClaws (a local single-A minor league baseball team) game, my son was recognized on the field before the game for being a Most Improved Student and got to introduce himself on the big screen, followed by my daughter singing the national anthem with her school chorus. So, that was a thing.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:So at tonight's Lakewood BlueClaws (a local single-A minor league baseball team) game, my son was recognized on the field before the game for being a Most Improved Student and got to introduce himself on the big screen, followed by my daughter singing the national anthem with her school chorus. So, that was a thing.
Awww, that must have been awesome for them and you! Congrats :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:So at tonight's Lakewood BlueClaws (a local single-A minor league baseball team) game, my son was recognized on the field before the game for being a Most Improved Student and got to introduce himself on the big screen, followed by my daughter singing the national anthem with her school chorus. So, that was a thing.
Wow, congrats. Very cool.
email, ergo spam