What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by McAvoy »

The landlord'a insurance company is paying for it. They will go after my upstairs neighbor.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I got it, Teaos.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

So I just published my first paper on arXiv here. We're submitting it to Phys. Rev. D. for eventual publication as well.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Lt. Staplic wrote:So I just published my first paper on arXiv here. We're submitting it to Phys. Rev. D. for eventual publication as well.
Congratulations! :)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I found this article about a cousin of mine. I guess not everyone would be as interested as I am, by virtue of the fact of not being a target of anti-Semitism and not being related to Prof. Wistrich, but I thought it was kind of interesting enough to share. Piece about the works of Robert Wistrich.

BTW, those who know me on FB will notice that his name is spelled differently than mine. Thanks to the UK for that - I will explain if you like.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If you don't mind talking about it. Have you been the victim of antisemitism?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Physically, only once, from a handful of skinheads some friends and I ran into after a show. Other than that, I can't say that I've ever been denied a job or pushed onto a waitlist or anything like that because of my heritage... although this happened: about a million years ago, when I was applying to colleges (to "university" for our limey friends,) I had developed a pretty good working relationship with the folks in charge of engineering and pure physics at Princeton University. These folks assured me that paperwork was a mere formality, and that they'd be seeing me in the autumn after I graduated high school. Well, my admission was denied, and one of the gentlemen with whom I had spoken decided to question the admissions officer involved. What I found would have been inadmissable as hearsay, and vehemently denied with no record at any rate, but it turned out that I was denied not because of qualifications but because Princeton "already had too many suburban Northeastern Jews" among its student body.

I have constantly been subject to people asking if I'm Jewish because of my features, or assuming I'm not Jewish because people expect a caricature of a Hassidic Jew to be the only image a Jew can project; and I always hear jokes about Jews controlling the media a/o the global banking institution, and then decrying their bigotry as "nothing but a joke." It's tiresome, but bearable.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, Andy Murray brought it home again in pretty convincing fashion. Aside from Raonic's obvious nerves, I don't think anybody could have beaten Murray today.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Work's been exhausting this past weekend.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:Celtic break against the Rock! :lol:
Since you're using the grinning emoticon, I feel reasonably sure to be able to say congratulations! ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Put it this way: does Guam have an American Football League? If so, what would you reaction be if the champions of said league took on the 49ers and won? That's the closest equivalent I can think of to what's just happened.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Captain Seafort wrote:Put it this way: does Guam have an American Football League? If so, what would you reaction be if the champions of said league took on the 49ers and won? That's the closest equivalent I can think of to what's just happened.
At this particular moment the San Fransisco 49ers kind of suck (relative to NFL competition at least), though they are a storied franchise and the point is understood.

After the close of work tomorrow, the shop closes for a week for a summer vacation. There isn't much left to do now (between the seasonal slow business and the recent need to turn away jobs that can't be completed and picked up before tomorrow there's not a lot of opportunity) so it'll be a slow (but probably not too long) day tomorrow before the store is locked up for a week. I'll personally have three days at the beach resort of Wildwood (New Jersey) before returning. Later, since my boss is also interested in seeing Star Trek Beyond, he'll take me out to see that as an early birthday gift.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:Put it this way: does Guam have an American Football League? If so, what would you reaction be if the champions of said league took on the 49ers and won? That's the closest equivalent I can think of to what's just happened.
Okay, I gotcha. That's actually doubly-hilarious since the 49ers is my sister's favorite team. :D
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

So... I just noticed that the beard conditioning oil I use is more expensive than sterling silver.
as Bull offed Custer