What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by McAvoy »

Be careful or you end like me where I have a giant plan and become a heavy user.

I used to be like you. Felt that phones are phones and not toys. Then I got a Blackberry and liked how I could surf the Web on my phone when I am bored. Then I went to an iPhone 3 which had more stuff like good games and a better browser.

Now I have a Galaxy S5 and I have switched phones four times in two years or five phones in three years. Though most of them was a result of either damaged or lost phones.

Don't get me wrong the period where I had no phone, no Internet, no computer and no cable back in February and March, I didn't care.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:I figure, why not? The device itself replaces two devices with one, faster and more capable than either. Even for a light user there are all kinds of ways it can be handy.
That's my experience. I can go months without making or getting a call on my phone. But I use it to play music through the car radio when I'm driving, I use it as a satnav, I use it as a portable disc drive, I use it to play my folks cute cat videos through their TV, check emails on the move, and about a dozen other things.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I receive and make probably one call a week. Of course the moment I leave the phone at home for a few hours, someone literally dies and I get fifty calls.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Ummm... what's the trick to not getting calls on your phone? I can't work for a solid 15 minutes without stopping to answer the damned thing three times.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:Ummm... what's the trick to not getting calls on your phone? I can't work for a solid 15 minutes without stopping to answer the damned thing three times.
Having no friends helps. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Mikey wrote:Ummm... what's the trick to not getting calls on your phone? I can't work for a solid 15 minutes without stopping to answer the damned thing three times.
This is true. :(
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hmm, I'll give that a try. ;)

For good or ill, in truth it's normally either my wife (who, interestingly enough, gives me grief about the one time every week or so that I text her during her workday) or some sort of personal business - setting up or utility arrangements, deliveries, doctors' offices, etc., etc. I think the issue isn't one of too many people who want to talk to me, but rather one of the normal number of people but me only being home for a few hours a day before it's too late to call.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
That's done the trick for me (for better or worse). Let's... not be friends :lol:

Well, part of my Thanksgiving has been spent getting the new toy set up more fully with potentially useful apps and such (and a lock to protect said apps and data). There's an MTA bus time app (one thing about living even in the least of the five boroughs of NYC, it is still part of the legally defined city and integrated into it's world-class public transit system). Also, an app to track diabetes (one of those you wish you didn't need). yadda yadda, et cetera, et cetera and so on and so forth...

Meanwhile, a Mythbusters marathon runs in the background.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Hell, there's even office mobile (plugged into my cloud account).
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I just picked up a Pebble Smartwatch. Not as powerful as the more expensive Smartwatches, but its visible in daylight and will go 5 days without needing a recharge.

Very useful if you don't drive and spend as much time walking about as I do. It lets me read txts and dismiss phone calls without having to get a fairly expensive phone out and waving it about in public. Will also relay directions from Google Maps, check weather and calendar appointments, acts as a remote control for my phones media player, and is linked to Evernote so I can tick off checklists on there.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Got a large Lego playset for my daughter in some Black Friday shopping.

The wife is not convinced that the gift is entirely for my daughter...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

sunnyside wrote:Got a large Lego playset for my daughter in some Black Friday shopping.

The wife is not convinced that the gift is entirely for my daughter...
Gee, I wonder why. ;)

Anyway, my mother's in California visiting my sister, so I'm spending the weekend with my father. I worked four hours Thanksgiving, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. I loaded TVs and missed out on about 80% of the craziness.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

And my mother's back from California, safe and sound. :) She had a great time and bought me a wooden dinosaur. :D
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Yep.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

With a 25% off discount and a healthy bonus in my check, I got all my Christmas shopping done in one fell swoop. 8)