What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Not too bad in my small corner of the NYC region (maybe half a foot), though there were obviously much harder hit areas. I heard the official measurement at Central Park was 11 inches and where my boss lives got over a foot. It wasn't enough to forestall my work day, though I was a bit bored at home and it's half a day anyway. Locales west and north of the city proper got considerably more.

I get to work and look at my laptop (a secondary PC I keep at work) and I notice a clicking sound coming from its hard drive that wasn't there before. That can be an ominous sign of impending drive failure (sometimes called the click of death) though it was running fine despite the clicks and passed a round of diagnostic tests I ran on it. (shrug) I guess for the moment I'll continue to use it but keep a close eye on that drive. It wouldn't be hard to replace if it comes to it anyway.
Better replace that drive soon or at the very least backup whatever you want to keep. I doubt that clicking sound is even remotely good.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

McAvoy wrote:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Not too bad in my small corner of the NYC region (maybe half a foot), though there were obviously much harder hit areas. I heard the official measurement at Central Park was 11 inches and where my boss lives got over a foot. It wasn't enough to forestall my work day, though I was a bit bored at home and it's half a day anyway. Locales west and north of the city proper got considerably more.

I get to work and look at my laptop (a secondary PC I keep at work) and I notice a clicking sound coming from its hard drive that wasn't there before. That can be an ominous sign of impending drive failure (sometimes called the click of death) though it was running fine despite the clicks and passed a round of diagnostic tests I ran on it. (shrug) I guess for the moment I'll continue to use it but keep a close eye on that drive. It wouldn't be hard to replace if it comes to it anyway.
Better replace that drive soon or at the very least backup whatever you want to keep. I doubt that clicking sound is even remotely good.

Oh, I'm quite familiar with failing hard drives, as I deal with them all the time in my work as a PC technician. Anyway, there's no information on the drive that isn't backed up in at least two other places (and I burned recovery DVDs for this laptop since like most modern PCs it didn't include any in the box). I certainly will be keeping a close eye on it. There are some drives that are noisy but run fine for years, although it's odd that this drive was silent before yesterday and just became clicky out of the blue.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

What snow? ... Pittsburgh got a dusting. Only had to use a broom on the walk.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

If a HD is making noise just replace it. Nothing good has ever come of it. Just count yourself lucky you got some warning before it went.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

My internet here is Germany has been giving me shit since I got here and now I am limited to 30MB a day on my iphone, so text only pages for me for awhile...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

That stinks, Teaos. At least you can still access DITL.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I would love to meet the first asshole who decided to start calling using something or watching something an "experience" and beat his ass to death. I curse his name every time I hear about a "Motion picture experience," or the "superior experience," when someone's talking about a fucking cellphone.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:...and beat his ass to death...
A singular experience.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:I would love to meet the first asshole who decided to start calling using something or watching something an "experience" and beat his ass to death. I curse his name every time I hear about a "Motion picture experience," or the "superior experience," when someone's talking about a fucking cellphone.
Except that it's correct. Every interaction with a stimulus, no matter how infinitesimal and whether it produces a response or not, is an experience.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I am now experiencing the installation of a fresh new hard drive in my laptop as I post from my desktop. Also, the stimulus of today's weather elicited a surprisingly positive response.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

:DITL:
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I am experiencing the sensation of the stimulus of my fingers typing on the keyboard. :P

Also, I work this week out, then switch to a new schedule at work and position.
Uzume
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Uzume »

Hey everyone, I wish i could post pics of Miss Terra (the new baby) for you all. However i don't want to use photo bucket. Is there another way? And please forgive my ignorance. :oops:
Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter. - Anonymous
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Black Magic
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

What he said.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."