What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Captain Seafort »

You'll do fine. :) Send us a link when the podcast comes out.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Seems I've caught some kind of seasonal bug, it's colloquially known as MidSomer Murders. :P I catch it on Netflix, it's been running since 1997, that has to be some kind of record. I enjoy Nettles character, has to be rough on Sgt. Troy, he's always looking for the easy collar.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Well Dr Who stated in 1963 so it has a much longer history :) but for a police series it's quite good. In the US Law and Order ran from 1990 to 2010, 20 years, so Midsomer beats that.

However, the record actually goes to "The Sky At Night" which is an astronomy program on the BBC. That has been running continuously since 1957, which is 61 years and counting...
email, ergo spam
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Vic wrote:Seems I've caught some kind of seasonal bug, it's colloquially known as MidSomer Murders. :P I catch it on Netflix, it's been running since 1997, that has to be some kind of record. I enjoy Nettles character, has to be rough on Sgt. Troy, he's always looking for the easy collar.
Love that show.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

IanKennedy wrote:Well Dr Who stated in 1963 so it has a much longer history :) but for a police series it's quite good. In the US Law and Order ran from 1990 to 2010, 20 years, so Midsomer beats that.

However, the record actually goes to "The Sky At Night" which is an astronomy program on the BBC. That has been running continuously since 1957, which is 61 years and counting...
May it run for another 61!
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

I find that I enjoy the interaction of the characters more than the mystery. I've just hit the episode where the new guy comes in, Sgt Scott. The Midsomer area must have the highest murder rate in the UK, :P and there seem to be a large number of eccentric people living in the rural areas of England. :lol:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Vic wrote:I find that I enjoy the interaction of the characters more than the mystery. I've just hit the episode where the new guy comes in, Sgt Scott. The Midsomer area must have the highest murder rate in the UK, :P
About 1000x the national average.
Vic wrote:...and there seem to be a large number of eccentric people living in the rural areas of England. :lol:
That's not made up by the program, it's just the way it is in reality :)
email, ergo spam
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Well I'm a bit bummed. My house got burned down here in Paradise, CA. But then so did 95% of the population of Paradise. The Camp Fire (yes that's what it's called) is now the deadliest and most destructive wildfire in California history, with @ 150,000 acres burned so far, and 45% contained, 68 confirmed dead, and over 6000 structures destroyed. I even lost my truck. We didn't have time to grab anything but some clothes in a bag. Fortunately my family and I are safe and sound. We're living with a family we know in Gridley. If you go to http://www.actionnewsnow.com you'll get the latest on the fire.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Wow, that sucks. I'm so glad you and yours are all safe and well.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

mwhittington wrote:Well I'm a bit bummed. My house got burned down here in Paradise, CA. But then so did 95% of the population of Paradise. The Camp Fire (yes that's what it's called) is now the deadliest and most destructive wildfire in California history, with @ 150,000 acres burned so far, and 45% contained, 68 confirmed dead, and over 6000 structures destroyed. I even lost my truck. We didn't have time to grab anything but some clothes in a bag. Fortunately my family and I are safe and sound. We're living with a family we know in Gridley. If you go to http://www.actionnewsnow.com you'll get the latest on the fire.
Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. Glad you and your family are okay.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Thanks, guys. The good news is we had home owner's insurance which covers fire, and in the case of a natural disaster it's an automatic max out on our home's value as well as the personal property inside. We're also looking for a rental in the Butte County area that's reasonably close to the Walmart in Chico, which is where I work. Our insurance will cover our rent for up to $47,000 total while we decide what to do for long term. I see 3 options: stay and rebuild on our property, which we'll own free and clear; stay in northern California, buy a new piece of land and build on it; or move to Oklahoma to be closer to my side of the family. Decisions decisions...
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Holy hopping snot, I didn't realize you were in Paradise.
mwhittington wrote: Fortunately my family and I are safe and sound.
Trite as it may sound, and easier to say from a continent away from the fire, but this is of course the most important thing.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

mwhittington wrote:Well I'm a bit bummed. My house got burned down here in Paradise, CA. But then so did 95% of the population of Paradise. The Camp Fire (yes that's what it's called) is now the deadliest and most destructive wildfire in California history, with @ 150,000 acres burned so far, and 45% contained, 68 confirmed dead, and over 6000 structures destroyed. I even lost my truck. We didn't have time to grab anything but some clothes in a bag. Fortunately my family and I are safe and sound. We're living with a family we know in Gridley. If you go to http://www.actionnewsnow.com you'll get the latest on the fire.
God, damn. I'm glad you and your family are all right.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Good god, that sounds horrible. Glad to hear everyone is OK.
email, ergo spam
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Happy Thanksgiving to all of the DITL'ers in the States. And to those of you across the pond, thanks for driving the puritans out of England... or something...

Also, it just hit me... Graham and Ian, since you two guys run the website, does that technically make you DIT Librarians?

Cheers, all.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?