What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah... its ugly as sin too.

I have no idea the logic behind it except someone got rich off of it.

It isn't like the college will see its money any time soon either.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Or even see that much money.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Depends on how it all shakes out. More than likely they are selling the excess power they make back to the local utility. Don't get excited. First of all it's making 8 MW of DC power. You need AC so the conversion process is going to eat up some of that. Next, the local utility isn't going to give you the rates for the power that they charge you, they'll give you what it costs them to make power. I don't know the local costs of doing business but my utility makes electricity for about 11 cents a kilowatt/hour. So if we ignore conversion losses from DC to AC and assume the college can sell all 8 MW of power the local utility (no self use) as well as the panels making power for five hours a day, EVERY day, the expected pay back for this project is about... 34 years. They'll need to think about replacing panels in 20 years.

GREEN POWER!

Now that was a lot of assumptions. First of all the panels will not make power every single day and for the full about 5 hours or so of good sunlight. The system we have at my site loses about 15% of it's output in the DC to AC conversion. We also assumed no power use of the college at all and a decent sized CC is probably using about a megawatt. I also assumed they are getting the going rate for power production. There was also no accounting for degradation of the panels which lowers output about 1% per year or for maintenance work on the panels or the site. They might have negotiated a sweetheart deal with the local power company so that they power company can say it has solar PV in it's portfolio. So the real payback could vary significantly but most of that would make the payback worse and only a sweetheart deal with the local utility can save it. Even then, assuming they paid double the going rate for power you will barely break even on the project before you're looking to replace the panels.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Birthday party for my grandmother in May. She'll be 90. :D
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Anyone else ever play Pong? It's rather fun, actually. :D
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Beer pong? Plenty of times?

The old video game? Not in a few years when I had it on my older phones
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

The old video game. I've heard of beer pong, no clue what it is.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I played against my mom a long time ago; she kicked my ass. To be fair, she had it when it first came out. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The old video game. I've heard of beer pong, no clue what it is.
Much more fun game than Pong.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I played against my mom a long time ago; she kicked my ass. To be fair, she had it when it first came out. :lol:
Beer pong?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:I played against my mom a long time ago; she kicked my ass. To be fair, she had it when it first came out. :lol:
Beer pong?
The video game.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The old video game. I've heard of beer pong, no clue what it is.
I will so take your word for that. :P It was at Funspot in laconia, a combination video arcade museum/video arcade. They've got some old stuff there.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:
Beer pong?
The video game.
I figured as much. Though the other probably wouldn't have surprised me either :lol:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

There's a special Frogger variant there that dispenses prize tickets based on how far the frog goes. We're starting to crack the code on how to get the frog all the way across to get the maximum amount. :happydevil: Next year, I'm going for broke! :D
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
McAvoy wrote:
I will so take your word for that. :P It was at Funspot in laconia, a combination video arcade museum/video arcade. They've got some old stuff there.
Your enjoyment of Beer Pong is directly proportional to how much of a sore loser you are added by how good your partner divided by how much you have had to drink.