What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Congrats to mwhittington and Glad to here you're OK Blackstar

As for me It's my birthday on the 13th Feb and I'm off on a two week cruise in the Caribbean on the 9th. Looking forward to that.

Apart from that I've just got hold of a copy of season 1 of TOS in HD DVD. It's the remastered version. I'm currently battling with getting snapshots from them. The system is fighting back but I will get there sooner or later. Once I've cracked that issue we should see some really nice pics go up on the site.
email, ergo spam
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

MetalHead wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Awesomeness. Okay, I know what I'm looking for in my next car.
Just make sure it is a CAR and not an SUV. SUV's are rubbish. Rawr!

Glad to hear you're alright though, must have been scary. GM does make a good car, and although Toyota is putting on the pressure, I believe they're still the world's largest auto industry?
SUVs are basically truck-sized cars. Because they aren't trucks they don't have to follow many of the safty laws that apply to trucks. There have been more and more laws and regulations to try to cover those loopholes, but they're still unsafe. They only haul as many people as a car, most of the extra cargo space isn't even used, and I don't know anyone who's taken it offroad. Not to mention they have horrible gas mileage, and with rising prices that's the last thing I need, and it's bad for the enviroment.

And GM beat Toyota by selling 3000 more cars last year. I suppose they haven't been the leader for 77 years for no reason. And to be honest, I wasn't really that scared during the crash. Even after I realized what was going on. It felt like some sort on dream or nightmare. In fact I actually had a little fun. I was like, 'okay, I'm out of control anyway. If I'm going to die, I might as well enjoy it.' It wasn't until I got out of the car and had no idea what to do that I was actually scared.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The true fear in a situation like that often sets in only after your brain has had a little time to realize how scared it should have been.

Many popular SUV's are in fact built on unibody, or body-on-frame, construction - like a car. Some - GMC Envoys and Yukons, Chevy TrailBlazers and Tahoes, Cadillac Escalades, and the Saab and Isuzu clones - are built on true tuck-type ladder-frame architecture. Ford Explorers and Expeditions may be, as well. I own an Envoy XUV, which has a separated weatherproof cargo area with a retractable roof, and I make a lot of use of the cargo area, as well as its payload and towing capabilities - none of which could be had from any kind of sedan.

And there are unibody small SUV's availabel which get gas mileage comparable to many mid-size cars. Coming from the supply end of the industry, I guarantee that they wouldn't be built anymore if people din't keep wanting them.

Ian - happy early birthday, and have a great time. I envy you.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Enjoy the holiday, Ian, sounds like it should be a good time. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Thanks, it should be great. We've got a lot of stuff planned for the days we're in port. Including:

Swimming with stingrays
Helmet diving
Land sailing
Scuba diving
Whale watching
ATV / Quad bikes
Dune buggys

plus lots of other things... Plus all the food is free on the ship and very good.
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Swimming with stingrays
Can anyone read that and not think of Steve Irwin?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Teaos wrote:
Swimming with stingrays
Well:

1) We will not be 'sticking our thumbs up their ass'.
2) Steve Irwin has just this moment appeared on TV. (spooky)
3) This happened just before we went last time and I couldn't get the wife to do this last time. I managed it this time though.

:)
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Oh go on live a little.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Teaos wrote:
Oh go on live a little.
Living I intend to do, it's the little I have a problem with. :)

ps. Why do you still have your xmas hat on?
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Forgot about it :oops:

IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Teaos wrote:Forgot about it :oops:
:) You and Deepcrush both...
email, ergo spam
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Teaos wrote:
Swimming with stingrays
Yes. It reminded me of when I went to the local Zoo last summer and I actually got to pet a few. Their barbs were removed so no worries. It was so cool. There were several that kept coming up to the edge were we could reach. We could also pet this shark things(not great whites or anything. Smaller, couldn't eat my hand size sharks) but I have this thing about touching fish.

Enjoy your cruise Ian.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Happy early b-day, Ian! And enjoy the cruise. Reads like you'll have little time to actually relax. ;)
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Thanks, there's at least a couple of days we can't go out as we're at sea. Each evening you're on the ship so you can relax then. Anyway I like to do things when I'm on holiday.

Last year for example we went to California for two weeks. That consisted of driving from LA to Vegas, Death Valley, Mono Lake, Lake Tahoe, Lessen Volcanic National Park, Lava Beds National Monument, Crater Lake, OR, Crescent City, Medocino, San Fransisco and back to LA. That's in excess of 2,100 miles round trip, and I did all the driving. This is a rough map of our route:

California Trip

I also like to take photos when I'm away. That trip clocked up more than 2,500 photos. :)
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Here goes...I will never go away agian if this is the amount of topics i havn't read....

Jesus christ Blackstar. When you said Cavalier i instantly thought of Vauxhall cavalier. Which isn't a SUV. But thats not the point. Glad your still here Blackstar.
Happy early birthday, Ian! Good luck with the Stingray!