What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by McAvoy »

Power got knocked out for about 90% of the area where I live. Finally got power here. Half of the trees by me are down.

Tonight I am testing to see if my meat in the freezer is still good. Wish me luck!
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

*Hands over a gas mask and elbow-length rubber gloves* ;)
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

From the retro video games come to life department: crossing the street in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. My neighborhood has power, but still no working traffic lights. Since there aren't enough traffic cops for every intersection, crossing the street is like a game of Frogger.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I remember that one. my mom loved it. Although now a bit harsh. Stay safe!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Fun week for Mikey. Last Sunday, while wifey was on her way home from presenting research and defending her abstract at UPenn, something happened: I had a hypoglycemic episode followed either by unconsciousness and a fall, or a fall leading to unconsciousness. Either way, I opened up my head against the kitchen floor and traded a fair bit of cerebral blood for a nasty concussion and a couple of loose teeth. My 8-year-old daughter called 9-1-1 (emergency service hotline in the States) and not only very bravely got help, but clearly and accurately described my diabetes and hypertension. She even checked the responding officer's badge before opening the door. :)

I woke up in a hospital Sunday evening with a screaming headache, a pair of staples holding the back of my head together, and a complete inability to recall the facts of a conversation held 5 minutes prior. Of course, the following day of my hospital stay was also the day that Hurricane Sandy, the so-called "Frankenstorm," and the attendant falling willow trees in my backyard robbed my home of a working furnace as well as of cable, phone, and internet service.

Well, I came home from the hospital on Friday, accompanied by a sore wound site and occasional paralyzing headaches... and, unfortunately, a tendency toward distraction and becoming tired very easily. Unfortunate, because that was precisely when wifey I had to start going about the business of insurance claims, repair orders, money-shuffling, and physical clean-up. But, I got me some internet/TV/phone back this evening, got some help from good neighbors and good family, and got the balls rolling.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Glad to hear that things are moving ahead, Mikey. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Glad to hear that things are moving ahead, Mikey. :)
Yep, although I'm trying to avoid moving a head too much...

Anyway, it's certainly not like me to be idealistic, maudlin, or even anything less than cynical most of the time. However, I must say that the conduct I've witnessed since my accident and the storm from my neighbors and family has truly braced me (in a good way) and given me a modicum of hope for some percentage of our species.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I've been hosting people from Brooklyn this last week and most of this week while the area gets its power and transit working again. I've had power and water the whole time so I have 4-6 people sleep on my couches and floor so they can have showers and actually get to work/
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Teaos wrote:I've been hosting people from Brooklyn this last week and most of this week while the area gets its power and transit working again. I've had power and water the whole time so I have 4-6 people sleep on my couches and floor so they can have showers and actually get to work/
That's quite nice of you. A lot of people would be afraid of being robbed if they let people stay over!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

All people I know, or at least good friends of people I know, also I haven't lived here long enough to own nice stuff. Apart from my laptop and electronic goods the most expensive thing I own is furniture, which I would be impressed if they managed to steal it.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:which I would be impressed if they managed to steal it.
Obviously, you haven't yet met anyone from Red Hook.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:I've been hosting people from Brooklyn this last week and most of this week while the area gets its power and transit working again. I've had power and water the whole time so I have 4-6 people sleep on my couches and floor so they can have showers and actually get to work/
That's right nice of you, Teaos. :)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

6 people in 20 square meters.... Just like life at sea.

Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Teaos wrote:Apart from my laptop and electronic goods the most expensive thing I own is furniture, which I would be impressed if they managed to steal it.

It's not that hard actually all you have to do is ..... never mind. :whistle:
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I voted. And that's all I'll say on it.