What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I'm on vacation for the next six days. It's the first one I've taken during the summer in six years or so.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Hope you're having/have had a terrific time!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

T'Pau wrote:Hope you're having/have had a terrific time!
I am, thanks. I've gotten some much-needed work done around the house. Rested up a lot, too.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

So i havent been around a lot over the last 6 months as life has been mental. I just last weeke landed a job I have been interviewing for for the last 2 months, beat out 640 people for it, over twice the pay, national level job and huge potential.

To make it so much less stressful we were evicted from our apartment building last month due to massive renovations due to water tight issues, so thatv was fun, hunting for a new place at the same time. Also setting up a new side business for myself, looking to restart silversmithing which I haven't done in 8 years, and now handing off all my clients in my current position...

So yeah, free time was limited, but come September time everything should be settled and I can relax into a 9-5 life for the first time.... ever.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:So i havent been around a lot over the last 6 months as life has been mental. I just last weeke landed a job I have been interviewing for for the last 2 months, beat out 640 people for it, over twice the pay, national level job and huge potential.

To make it so much less stressful we were evicted from our apartment building last month due to massive renovations due to water tight issues, so thatv was fun, hunting for a new place at the same time. Also setting up a new side business for myself, looking to restart silversmithing which I haven't done in 8 years, and now handing off all my clients in my current position...

So yeah, free time was limited, but come September time everything should be settled and I can relax into a 9-5 life for the first time.... ever.
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it sounds like you have a huge upswing coming once that salary starts rolling in. And that's a seriously impressive achievement, to come top out of so many candidates. All the kudos and congratulations to you, well deserved I'm sure.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

My boss (the owners father) retired a couple of weeks ago. Short story, my Boss used to be 1/3 owner of the company but eventually sold his share to his son so he didn't have to deal with the extra workings of his he company and let him do his own thing within the company. Anyway, his wife started to beg her son to get her husband to retire and go on a long vacation with her.

So here I am. First week done but I have noticed some people are trying to get their foothold into what have been doing for the past few years. All because they want to reorganize the company (going from maybe a dozen people to 150 in less than ten years). My boss held alot of positions and for the most part I retain them.

I work in the Tool and Equipment Department for the company. I am the one who has been doing all of the inventory, tracking and calibration of the tools as well as the repair of them. Not liking when someone who should worry about her own big Parts Department is trying to get her foot into my territory.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Good to hear from you again, Teaos. :) Sorry to read about the eviction, but cool on the new job!

And... my grandmother's in the hospital. She's 96 and it's not looking too good for her. I... think she wants to be with Papa again. :(
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I am listening to a dishwasher repairman take apart my dishwasher (the appliance, not the nice gentleman who kindly cleans up after I create meals from thin air), so it will stop sounding like a jet engine every time it is turned on.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Just thinking about you guys since I'm on a cruise and I know we've got a few cruise aficionados and at least one cruise line employee.

Or ex employee. Sounds like Teaos has a lot going on!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Well, where to start, I've some pretty monumental news. A few weeks ago I resigned from my job of 32.5 years so I can retire. I'm only 54 but we've just sold a house and we've got enough money so we can have a great time without the need to work. We can take our pensions at 60 so that will help smooth out the costs. Basically, we'll be going on holiday about 6 times a year. Likely 3 long haul and 3 short, and in between we'll swim, walk and bike around Oxford and drive further afield seeing the UK. I've three months notice so I should be finished by 2 Nov 2019, or rather 1 Nov as 2 is a Saturday.

As a starter we've booked a cruise for late next year. It departs from Southampton and arrives in Singapore 38 days later:

Should be quite a trip. We'll stay over a few days before flying back.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I see a lot of cat sitting in my future...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Just looked at that map and the ports are not quite right. It stops at:

Seville, Gibraltar, Mallorca, Barcelona, Toulon/Provence, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples, Messina, Santorini, Rhodes, The Suez Canal, Aqaba (petra), Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Muscat, Colombo, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

IanKennedy wrote:Well, where to start, I've some pretty monumental news. A few weeks ago I resigned from my job of 32.5 years so I can retire. I'm only 54 but we've just sold a house and we've got enough money so we can have a great time without the need to work. We can take our pensions at 60 so that will help smooth out the costs. Basically, we'll be going on holiday about 6 times a year. Likely 3 long haul and 3 short, and in between we'll swim, walk and bike around Oxford and drive further afield seeing the UK. I've three months notice so I should be finished by 2 Nov 2019, or rather 1 Nov as 2 is a Saturday.

As a starter we've booked a cruise for late next year. It departs from Southampton and arrives in Singapore 38 days later:

Should be quite a trip. We'll stay over a few days before flying back.
Damn, that is some big news. I wish you luck on finances, Ian. I mean it looks like you've got it planned, but we all know what they say about plans. ;) Seriously, that's pretty cool. And holy crap that's a trip and a half!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Well, my grandmother finally passed away Friday. She was 96. :(
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Well, my grandmother finally passed away Friday. She was 96. :(
Sorry for your loss, Striker.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park