What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Angharrad wrote:For a while I've been thinking I can't drink coffee, that it was giving me stomach problems. Turns out it was the cream in the coffee. I'm either allergic to milk or lactose intolerant. Now I have to find out which. I hope it's lactose intolerance because I can just take a pill for that. If it's an allergy, then I really have to change my diet.
I accidentally got a coffee with fat free half&half this afternoon; being used to light cream the texture just wasn't right. Well, for your sake let's hope it's merely LI.

Thankfully I haven't had much experience with the hospital, er... experience (at least not as an adult, as I don't have terribly strong impressions from a childhood bout of pneumonia). Let's hope you can avoid a return visit, Mikey. BTW, what was the source of that gas leak?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Two leaks: one from a bad feed pipe behind the stove, one from an aged pilot mechanism on the hot water heater. Both fixed, and thanks for the wishes to all. Now my little guy is in with a (likely viral) intestinal inflammmation, which needs to calm down before appendicitis can be ruled out.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Mikey wrote:Well, I'm back (again) from about a week-and-a-half straight in the hospital (or "in hospital," for you limeys.) I have come to the conclusion that being in the hospital really sucks, and being in for something terribly serious and dangerous sucks even more. In addition to the imminent danger of the condition itself, hospitals are absolutely horrible places to try and convalesce. They're always waking you up to poke you take various readings, getting dosages wrong, trying to feed you the worst types of diet for your condition (not a humorous sarcasm - this was in fact confirmed to me by a staff endocrinologist,) and in general annoying you so you can't rest.
Wait, you'd indicated that your initial conditions were due to a natural gas leak (glad you didn't make the news in a fireball with that one), and then a diabetic complication from not taking insulin. Both seem resolvable and you had been release, so is this an addition "troubles come in threes" issue?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

sunnyside wrote:
Mikey wrote:Well, I'm back (again) from about a week-and-a-half straight in the hospital (or "in hospital," for you limeys.) I have come to the conclusion that being in the hospital really sucks, and being in for something terribly serious and dangerous sucks even more. In addition to the imminent danger of the condition itself, hospitals are absolutely horrible places to try and convalesce. They're always waking you up to poke you take various readings, getting dosages wrong, trying to feed you the worst types of diet for your condition (not a humorous sarcasm - this was in fact confirmed to me by a staff endocrinologist,) and in general annoying you so you can't rest.
Wait, you'd indicated that your initial conditions were due to a natural gas leak (glad you didn't make the news in a fireball with that one), and then a diabetic complication from not taking insulin. Both seem resolvable and you had been release, so is this an addition "troubles come in threes" issue?
More like a bit of "more of the same." When I got home initially (for one day,) I ended up still having trouble with ketones building up - the root initial condition known as diabetic ketoacidosis, the result of the inability to process a/o excrete blood glucose - and the hospital staff physician's unfamiliarity with my own endocrinologist's therapy program led to going back in. Then came the watchful period based on a slightly elevated white cell count, etc., etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

School is over me. Gotta find a job actually pays a living. Either that or work two jobs at 70 hours a week.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, back from Concord. Mom had eye surgery. Went well overall. :)
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

McAvoy wrote:School is over me. Gotta find a job actually pays a living. Either that or work two jobs at 70 hours a week.
Did you just graduate?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Not exactly. Got an associates but I went past that for en extra twenty or so credits.

So no I didn't graduate. I am still two or fifty semesters away.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:Not exactly. Got an associates but I went past that for en extra twenty or so credits.

So no I didn't graduate. I am still two or fifty semesters away.
Two or fifty... might wanna narrow that down just a tad, McAvoy. ;)
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

So ..... my nephew died today, or yesterday, Monday to be exact. He was 37 years old. He had liver and colon cancer. He left behind a wife, 3 children, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, firiends. Lots of people who loved him. He was a veteran and I'm really going to miss him.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Angharrad wrote:So ..... my nephew died today, or yesterday, Monday to be exact. He was 37 years old. He had liver and colon cancer. He left behind a wife, 3 children, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, firiends. Lots of people who loved him. He was a veteran and I'm really going to miss him.
My condolences. *Hugs* :(
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Angharrad wrote:So ..... my nephew died today, or yesterday, Monday to be exact. He was 37 years old. He had liver and colon cancer. He left behind a wife, 3 children, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, firiends. Lots of people who loved him. He was a veteran and I'm really going to miss him.
That sucks, my condolences to you. :(
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Hey Mikey: since you've been using the continuous glucose monitor how often is the sensor reading not in the same zip code as the meter reading? So far I'm getting readings within reasonable range most of the time on my recent upgrade to sensor-equipped insulin pump but there have been a few times, particularly at night for some reason, when the readings don't track at all. After the holiday dinner with hamburgers et al, I seemed to have a 'late' spike in blood sugar (a meter reading before I went to bed wasn't bad and the two devices were more or less in agreement but when I got up later to pee and calibrate the sensor, the meter reading was over 100 points higher than the sensor reading). I didn't calibrate at that time, remembering some talk that the meter and sensor reading might be expected to converge in time (though that might just apply to when the blood sugar is changing rapidly and readings will naturally differ). Later in the night the sensor woke me with a low BG warning (got as low as 47) but a meter reading was 210. I turned the sensor off until I woke to conclusively disable alarms during the night. That's not the first time my readings at night have been a country mile apart, though daytime and between meals the sensor has been much more accurate.

Was I in error in not using the earlier meter reading to calibrate the sensor, even though it was far off the sensor reading?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Well this recent misadventure might have been a sensor error: it was a recently replaced sensor (though it tracked well before bed) and after I reactivated the sensor the meter reported calibration error and a "change sensor" warning.

Nevertheless, there have been other conspicuous divergent readings, and especially in the night/early morning with sensors that mostly worked.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

So sorry to here that. My father-in-law died of colon cancer 3-4 years ago. It's only in the last year she's started to get over it. The only slight solace is that he's not suffering any more. My thoughts go out to you all.
email, ergo spam