What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Angharrad »

Vic wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Angharrad wrote:And you can now call me "Captain Foxx"
*Salutes*
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Scotty; It's a low as I can get it Mum....I can'na violate the Laws O' Physics.

:poke:
!ouch)
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, holidays are almost over. The retail season has not been kind to me. !ouch)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Well, holidays are almost over. The retail season has not been kind to me. !ouch)
I smell what you're cooking. Good news this holiday season: Mikey got hired as a store manager in training! Less-good news: after three weeks of a five-week training program, Mikey was asked (read: involuntarily volunteered) to take over a $1.1 mil store - that was down one assistant manager - two weeks before Christmas, while reducing shrink and improving both volume and margin.

Could still be out of work instead of running my own one-mil-plus store, though, so I guess I should probably shut my cake-hole about now.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Well, holidays are almost over. The retail season has not been kind to me. !ouch)
I smell what you're cooking. Good news this holiday season: Mikey got hired as a store manager in training! Less-good news: after three weeks of a five-week training program, Mikey was asked (read: involuntarily volunteered) to take over a $1.1 mil store - that was down one assistant manager - two weeks before Christmas, while reducing shrink and improving both volume and margin.

Could still be out of work instead of running my own one-mil-plus store, though, so I guess I should probably shut my cake-hole about now.
I wonder if I can mail you a twelve-pack...
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Mikey wrote:I smell what you're cooking. Good news this holiday season: Mikey got hired as a store manager in training! Less-good news: after three weeks of a five-week training program, Mikey was asked (read: involuntarily volunteered) to take over a $1.1 mil store - that was down one assistant manager - two weeks before Christmas,
Congrats! Despite the possible stress. What sort of store, if you feel comfortable saying?
while reducing shrink
Is that assistant manager talk for theft and robbery?
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

sunnyside wrote:
Mikey wrote:I smell what you're cooking. Good news this holiday season: Mikey got hired as a store manager in training! Less-good news: after three weeks of a five-week training program, Mikey was asked (read: involuntarily volunteered) to take over a $1.1 mil store - that was down one assistant manager - two weeks before Christmas,
Congrats! Despite the possible stress. What sort of store, if you feel comfortable saying?
while reducing shrink
It sounds a bit like it feels like this actually

But I've had those days too. Congrats (or maybe good luck or a bit of both).
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

sunnyside wrote:
Mikey wrote: while reducing shrink
General retail talk for it, yeah. It 'shrinks' our profits.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Some pidgeons have moved into the loft above my bedroom, and they won't shut the f**k up
Bite my shiny metal ass
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:Image
:lol:

Happy birthday, man.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

sunnyside wrote:Congrats! Despite the possible stress. What sort of store, if you feel comfortable saying?
It's a Dollar Tree. If there aren't any in your area, it's a chain of true $1 stores (unlike Dollar General or Family Dollar, which have long since gone to more general discount retail of merch up to about $15 or $20.) One assistant manager, two part-time assistants, and a permanent staff of about 10 part-time associates.
sunnyside wrote:Is that assistant manager talk for theft and robbery?
Any losses, really. Theft is certainly a large part of shrink, what's termed as "external shrink." There is also "paper shrink," which means virtual losses due to improper receiving procedures, cashiering items with incorrect identifiers, failure to properly mark down clearance or defective items, etc... as well as "internal shrink," which is employee theft - either direct or by facilitating theft by others. In the store I took over, shrink wasn't a huge issue but was slightly higher than the average in my district. It seems that a fair bot of the problem is simply in freight processing.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah, the back receiving area where I work can be a friggin' nightmare. It's a wonder screw-ups don't happen more often.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Yeah, the back receiving area where I work can be a friggin' nightmare. It's a wonder screw-ups don't happen more often.
We don't get really big trucks, compared to some places I've worked - at the height of the Christmas season, we were 1200 cartons or so once a week - but we receive right into the stockroom, which has about 300 - 500 sq. ft. of usable space set up as a galley... with a baler right by the back door. So, we have to sort and throw outdoors and then hand-truck the freight in by category. Unfortunately there was so much flux in management before I got there that a "last in, first out" mentality took hold because of the difficulty in getting to old stock in that hallway of a stockroom.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Yeah, the back receiving area where I work can be a friggin' nightmare. It's a wonder screw-ups don't happen more often.
We don't get really big trucks, compared to some places I've worked - at the height of the Christmas season, we were 1200 cartons or so once a week - but we receive right into the stockroom, which has about 300 - 500 sq. ft. of usable space set up as a galley... with a baler right by the back door. So, we have to sort and throw outdoors and then hand-truck the freight in by category. Unfortunately there was so much flux in management before I got there that a "last in, first out" mentality took hold because of the difficulty in getting to old stock in that hallway of a stockroom.
Oh, I;m trying to imagine that and all I can do is wince. Literally, too. 1200 here would be considered a slow night for the overnight crew.
Angharrad
Captain
Captain

Post by Angharrad »

Happy New Year from Brooklyn!

“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess