What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by IanKennedy »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Well this recent misadventure might have been a sensor error: it was a recently replaced sensor (though it tracked well before bed) and after I reactivated the sensor the meter reported calibration error and a "change sensor" warning.

Nevertheless, there have been other conspicuous divergent readings, and especially in the night/early morning with sensors that mostly worked.
I'm not too familiar with these meters but could it be that you are somehow disrupting the sensor while asleep (by rolling over or some such).
email, ergo spam
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Thanks for all the well wishes. They are much appreciated.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Sorry for your loss, Angharrad. I wish your family and friends the best.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Angharrad wrote:Thanks for all the well wishes. They are much appreciated.
*Hugs again*
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

JHust got back from Age of Ultron. holy shit that was good.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:JHust got back from Age of Ultron. holy shit that was good.
It really was.

Best line in the film, from Hawkeye :
"We're on a floating city! Fighting an army of robots! And I have a bow and arrow! NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE!!!!"
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:JHust got back from Age of Ultron. holy shit that was good.
It really was.

Best line in the film, from Hawkeye :
"We're on a floating city! Fighting an army of robots! And I have a bow and arrow! NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE!!!!"
Hawkeye might've actually been my favorite character in the film for that line alone! :D

Then again there's also Cap's line...
"I miss the days when the weirdest thing to come out of a lab was me."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Language!
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Lt. Staplic wrote:
Language!
He never lived that down. :D
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Actually I was kinda surprised at how they treated Hawkeye here. He was kinda looked down on by people in the last movie as the guy who doesn't bring a whole lot to the Avengers table - no powers, a bit dull characterwise, etc. Ultron really puts the focus on him much more than before... we learn a lot more about him, get much more of a sense of the kind of guy he is. We even get a scene that head on confronts the fact that he's trying to be part of a team with people who are almost uniformly vastly stronger and tougher than he is, and has him (and others) wonder if he's up to it.

That kind of thing is typically Joss... take a step back and look at what you're doing from an objective viewpoint, kind of acknowledge the craziness of it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Lt. Staplic wrote:
Language!
I was kind of annoyed Cap seemed to get more stick for that than
Tony did for building Ultron
Bite my shiny metal ass
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:Actually I was kinda surprised at how they treated Hawkeye here. He was kinda looked down on by people in the last movie as the guy who doesn't bring a whole lot to the Avengers table - no powers, a bit dull characterwise, etc. Ultron really puts the focus on him much more than before... we learn a lot more about him, get much more of a sense of the kind of guy he is. We even get a scene that head on confronts the fact that he's trying to be part of a team with people who are almost uniformly vastly stronger and tougher than he is, and has him (and others) wonder if he's up to it.

That kind of thing is typically Joss... take a step back and look at what you're doing from an objective viewpoint, kind of acknowledge the craziness of it.
He was the viewpoint character, at least he seemed to be to me. Compared to everyone else he kinda has a vibe of 'upgraded SHIELD agent', for lack of a better term.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

IanKennedy wrote:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Well this recent misadventure might have been a sensor error: it was a recently replaced sensor (though it tracked well before bed) and after I reactivated the sensor the meter reported calibration error and a "change sensor" warning.

Nevertheless, there have been other conspicuous divergent readings, and especially in the night/early morning with sensors that mostly worked.
I'm not too familiar with these meters but could it be that you are somehow disrupting the sensor while asleep (by rolling over or some such).
I suppose that's a consideration. Given though that the thing is meant to be attached continuously for days at a time it seems the designers took that sort of thing into account. One is warned not to press to hard during the initial insertion when attaching a new sensor and not to place it too close to a part of the body that is subject to flexing (e.g., the waistline). I have followed both guidelines though, having placed the sensor in a fairly static location. When I move during the night it's over my back rather than across the belly. Well I'll give the next one a try today and continue monitoring the situation.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I doubt that sleeping on it or rolling has much of a deleterious effect. I rented myself as a guinea pig for a CGM study, and the manufacturers had no qualms about attaching them on the buttocks, abdomen, thighs, etc. There is the odd bad sensor every once in a while, or a bad insertion which doesn't always show up immediately; but the main cause of divergent readings is divergent methodologies. Remember: your blood glucose monitor measures your blood glucose level, generally in mg/dL, which is really the most accurate way we have to pinpoint how you happen to be metabolizing sugar. The CGM measures the glucose level in the interstitial fluid in adipose tissue, which is naturally not exactly in line with blood glucose and which trends anywhere from 10 minutes to the best part of an hour behind changes in blood glucose. Given enough time, I suppose even large divergences between the CGM and blood glucose meter readings will eventually converge; however, we tend to continue living our lives while that's supposed to happen, so things will get artificially affected before that convergence can occur.

*EDIT* That difference in methods is why you have, no doubt, been instructed to base your boluses based on a meter reading rather than on the CGM reading.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mikey wrote:I doubt that sleeping on it or rolling has much of a deleterious effect. I rented myself as a guinea pig for a CGM study, and the manufacturers had no qualms about attaching them on the buttocks, abdomen, thighs, etc. There is the odd bad sensor every once in a while, or a bad insertion which doesn't always show up immediately; but the main cause of divergent readings is divergent methodologies. Remember: your blood glucose monitor measures your blood glucose level, generally in mg/dL, which is really the most accurate way we have to pinpoint how you happen to be metabolizing sugar. The CGM measures the glucose level in the interstitial fluid in adipose tissue, which is naturally not exactly in line with blood glucose and which trends anywhere from 10 minutes to the best part of an hour behind changes in blood glucose. Given enough time, I suppose even large divergences between the CGM and blood glucose meter readings will eventually converge; however, we tend to continue living our lives while that's supposed to happen, so things will get artificially affected before that convergence can occur.

*EDIT* That difference in methods is why you have, no doubt, been instructed to base your boluses based on a meter reading rather than on the CGM reading.
I was certainly aware of the difference in detection methods (and I have used the meter always to base a bolus) and told that at times there will be a larger difference, e.g. after a meal. Maybe it's a random thing in a small sample but it just seemed odd to have readings so wildly divergent which tend to happen at a similar time of day.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who