What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, and the adds have revealed that there are two more movies coming up after this one's over: Ice Twisters and Attack of the Gryphons.

I'm so tempted to just pull an all-nighter and just keep watching. These both sound gloriously bad.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

This... sounds entertaining, but also makes me glad I don't have the sci-fi/syfy channel.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

So....................

My 5-6 year old computer has finally croaked... well the OS hard drive has. Fortunately, I didn't lose much. The worst loss is the saved game files (that I can think of, won't know for sure till I get a new hd and install W7).

Major downside, once I install a new OS (and check everything) I'll be spending a long time reinstalling stuff (thank goodness I keep backups of everything).

My only hope is that I didn't lose any of my music (as in, stuff I wrote).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And Titanic 2 has just ended.

Sadly, we don't get to see the ship breaking in half. Instead it just capsizes and sinks. Though given that the effects team were clearly on a shoe-string budget, I'm alright with that. Though amusingly, after the ship capsizes, there are no people in the water. Did everyone die? The movie never tells us how many survived.

Well, our heroes ended up trapped near the bottom of the ship, so they had to swim out and back to the surface....but there was only one oxygen tank! Naturally this led to a far too long scene of the woman moaning about how sad she is that the guy is going to die....even though she met him like 20 minutes ago. Oh well. So she swims through the ship and back to the surface lugging the guy's unconcious body around until they get to the surface, at which point a US Coast Guard helicopter (in the middle of the Atlantic.....alright) saves them. Hilariously, rather than, you know, performing CPR on the guy, the woman just sits there looking at his body yelling "Breathe!" Then, at the very end, she kisses him. I was honestly expecting that to bring him back to life but, to my surprise, he actualy stayed dead. It just faded abruptly to the credits, which had an utterly awful pop-song overlaid on them. So apparently everyone on the ship died but that one woman. I'll bet she's got a hell of a book deal coming up when she gets home!

Anyway, up next is Ice Twisters!

"An experiment using liquid notrogen to induce rain in the drought-ravaged Pacific Northwest goes wrong and creates tornadoes that shoot deadly shards of ice."

Awesome. I'm going to make myself some popcorn while the ads are on. This is just too good to miss.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Uzume wrote:Hey you guys, I miss you all!!!

Things are going well so far, hope all is well for everyone.
:wave: :wave: :wave:
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:And Titanic 2 has just ended.

If you're going to do in-progress reviews of crap movies, I don't suppose you'd happen to have a DVD of Insurrection? :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

:laughroll:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

COme on, Seafort. Don't punish Sionnach for making you laugh. ;)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Captain Seafort wrote:If you're going to do in-progress reviews of crap movies, I don't suppose you'd happen to have a DVD of Insurrection? :P
Sadly, no. :P

So, Ice Twisters. Well, they weren't lying with the title. It's about giant twisters that freeze everything around them.
So our first real shot of the movie is an awful CGI C-47 opening its rear doors and releasing a swarm of what look like Predator drones. So I guess the Machine Uprising has begun.
Our hero (who I really want to see get crushed by a falling car) is a guy who writes cheesey disaster movies. He's at a book-signing in some small town in Oregon for his latest novel ("Ionos-Fear") when shit hits the fan in a big way as a giant storm forms and starts throwing cars around, crushing someone who derided his books to death. Our hero (I honestly can't remember his name) gets all noble about this and decides to try and figure out what's going on.
So he tags along with a small band of researchers who released the predator drones seen earlier. They're part of Project Raindance which is supposed to make and then seed clouds to produce rain. The project is run by an Evil Stereotypical Business Guy who doesn't care how many people die. I'm sure he won't meet an ironic fate at all. The research team has no idea what's going until the writer figures it out - the drones are pulling stuff in the upper atmosphere down and because the stuff in the air is breaking through the barriers in the atmosphere it causes freezing tornadoes of ice. Alright.
And now the test site with all their computers and stuff had been hit by one of the ice tornadoes (RIP Comic Relief Guy).

Oh, and there's some subplot about a pair of reporters who are wandering around the place filming the tornadoes. No idea what relevance they have to the plot.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:So, Ice Twisters. Well, they weren't lying with the title. It's about giant twisters that freeze everything around them.
I hope this is leading up to a Day After Tomorrow moment. People getting chased down a corridor by cold is comedy gold. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We get two scenes that are almost as good. A farmer being chased across a field by awful CGI effects patches of ice forming on the ground, and two of our heroes getting chased into a storm drain by the same thing.

Also, the writer's daughter has been killed by a flying fuel tanker.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:And Titanic 2 has just ended.

If you're going to do in-progress reviews of crap movies, I don't suppose you'd happen to have a DVD of Insurrection? :P

Or a copy of a "script" thereof???
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I think I've finally gotten the yard to a state that I can find the time and energy to maintain. Took down that section of fence that formed a gap between it and the neighbor's fence and took the little jungle that had been growing there down to the dirt. Took out the mess of bushes on the side of the house and took the little jungle that was growing there down to the dirt. Removed the old garden plot and took the little jungle yadda yadda yadda. Only thing left to to is borrow the plugger from the father-in-law and spread some of the grass around.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lighthawk wrote:I think I've finally gotten the yard to a state that I can find the time and energy to maintain. Took down that section of fence that formed a gap between it and the neighbor's fence and took the little jungle that had been growing there down to the dirt. Took out the mess of bushes on the side of the house and took the little jungle that was growing there down to the dirt. Removed the old garden plot and took the little jungle yadda yadda yadda. Only thing left to to is borrow the plugger from the father-in-law and spread some of the grass around.
Ugh. My whole back yard looks like a jungle right now. Need to get to that at some point when it isn't raining.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Lighthawk wrote:I think I've finally gotten the yard to a state that I can find the time and energy to maintain. Took down that section of fence that formed a gap between it and the neighbor's fence and took the little jungle that had been growing there down to the dirt. Took out the mess of bushes on the side of the house and took the little jungle that was growing there down to the dirt. Removed the old garden plot and took the little jungle yadda yadda yadda. Only thing left to to is borrow the plugger from the father-in-law and spread some of the grass around.
Ugh. My whole back yard looks like a jungle right now. Need to get to that at some point when it isn't raining.
Don't get me started on the F-ing rain. Everything was so overgrown that it took days to dry out, and of course it would never go more than a day without a fresh downpour. My poor mower was coughing like a 80 year old chain smoker.