What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I work at a Walmart. The entire weekend, people have been fucking crazy with panic-buying.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

My company has reduced hours down to three days a week.

We are living in the biggest historical event since WWII.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:00 amWe are living in the biggest historical event since WWII.
1989. Possibly 2001
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Thing is, moment all this started kicking off, remembered the Docu-drama "Smallpox" from like, 2001 - keeping in mind that it was filmed pre-9/11 I think? anyway aside from the premise of a smallpox outbreak due to bioterrorism (someone intentionally spreads it in New York City - so, for the producers, there was the whole 'hang on we can't show this what with 9/11 having just happened" panic)... its basically the same story - spread through air travel and no proper quarantines.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Work's been pretty nuts for me lately. People coming in, cleaning out the toilet paper aisle, and soup, and rice and other stuff. Online ordering-my department-has had a huge spike, too.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

NY has joined California on statewide lockdown today.

Just splurged on my LEGOS wishlist, of the things they actually have available to ship. Should last a day or two..lol
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Captain Seafort wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:25 pm
Teaos wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:00 amWe are living in the biggest historical event since WWII.
1989. Possibly 2001
So disagree, they will surpass 9/11 in global significance. 1989... let’s wait and see.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

T'Pau wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:31 pm NY has joined California on statewide lockdown today.

Just splurged on my LEGOS wishlist, of the things they actually have available to ship. Should last a day or two..lol
Which ones did you buy?
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I've built a bunch over the years. Some architecture (Frank Lloyd Wright Falling Water house), lots of Iron Man Hulkbusters of all sizes, the giant T Rex and gate from Jurassic Park, the dino skeletons set, etc.

Been stalking the super huge Star Wars M.Falcon (7000+ pieces), but it's big money! Recently built the VW Beetle (had one way back when, loved it!), so I finally was able to order the VW Bus. Will eventually do the Roller Coaster (with motors), but it is out of stock. Soon...very soon!

Update: As it is double VIP points this week at LEGO, I went for the roller coaster, even though it is on back order.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Finished my whole Trek marathon started back in 2018. Caught up with the Expanse
Now onto Battlestar Galactica.

I have been helping my Dad lately. With the quarantine going down, he cannot visit his wife in thd hospital or at least do stuff. So he is home alone for the first time in 40 years. He is definitely lonely. He is starting to learn how to use the cell phone which for the past three years has been a waste of $20 per month. Though if he starts texting, we will have reports about small winged demons building snowmen in Hell.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

My mother's been home the past two weeks due to a viral infection, but it's a lot better now. McAvoy, how was the marathon?
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

LEGO update: In most sets, you have very specific graphic instructions, and bags with numbers that have the pieces for those instructions. You work page by page, bag by bag, and so on. Well, much to my surprise, the VW Bus had the expected directions, but the bags were NOT numbered and completely random. WTF??? First time ever that I had experienced this, so I sorted all the pieces by color and size, and a few hours later, began the build. It took longer than normal, due to hunting pieces but I finished today. Not the normal "happy happy fun time", more akin to "bad words and frustration time".

Now the wait for the Roller Coaster to arrive, and really really hope the bags are numbered!!!!!

Update: The Coaster has FINALLY shipped after much backorder nonsense. Should be here tomorrow, if you believe FedEx. Wheeeeee! :laughroll:
Last edited by T'Pau on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:20 pm My mother's been home the past two weeks due to a viral infection, but it's a lot better now. McAvoy, how was the marathon?
Best to watch Trek after several years. You may know the episode and how it ends but you forget alot of stuff in between.

Also got me thinking about the political situation since 2364 to 2377.

Now I am on Battlestar Galactica. I totally forgot how awesome the miniseries pilot was.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:35 am
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:20 pm My mother's been home the past two weeks due to a viral infection, but it's a lot better now. McAvoy, how was the marathon?
Best to watch Trek after several years. You may know the episode and how it ends but you forget alot of stuff in between.

Now I am on Battlestar Galactica. I totally forgot how awesome the miniseries pilot was.
To this day the pilot's really the only episodes I've seen of the new Battlestar Galactica.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:05 pm
McAvoy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:35 am

To this day the pilot's really the only episodes I've seen of the new Battlestar Galactica.
I really like it. One thing that always bothered me about the original series was that it never much felt like post-armageddon. These people were supposed to be on the edge of extinction, running for their lives, but you'd never guess from their day to day lives.

NuBSG goes, if anything, a bit over the top with showing that. These people's lives are grim, and you never forget it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...