This is what a $350,000 house in San Francisco looks like

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

This is what a $350,000 house in San Francisco looks like

Post by Nutso »

It is a worn-down, decomposing wooden shack that was built in 1906, and the interior is unlivable in its current condition. The San Francisco house is also selling for $350,000.

Located at 16 De Long Street in the (slightly) more affordable Outer Mission district, the house’s price is a reflection of the skyrocketing real estate market in San Francisco. Since 2012, the city has seen a 103% increase in median housing prices; this month, that figure stands at $1.35 million.

According to realtors Brian Tran and Alexander Han, the shack is “the cheapest home listed in San Francisco.”

Originally an earthquake shelter, the shack was built in the aftermath of the devastating 1906 San Francisco earthquake. The 765-square-foot unit caught the attention of Tran and Han during a drive around the neighborhood. Upon spotting the vacant house, they found the owner—who had bought the home in 1984 and had moved out in 2008—and asked if she would be willing to sell it.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: This is what a $350,000 house in San Francisco looks lik

Post by sunnyside »

I figure this is going to be an ongoing issue as we not only continue to grow our population but are abandoning really cheap rural housing to all pile into urban centers. I'm thinking we may have to start borrowing some ideas from the Japanese who have been crowded for longer and have a thing going about making tiny apartments work, or perhaps start building Judge Dred type "Blocks" to house tens of thousands in a building.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Technically the US doesn't have a space issue even within cities. It's more of a money thing.

Even within cities there are blocks where it looks almost abandoned. Even like New York City and the reason why is because to live in a city you pay and arm and z leg and your first three children to live there.

One of my friends pays five grand a month for an apartment above a pizzeria and it's probably the size of your average living room.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Indeed, we have long since weathered the boom age of city-bound migration from rural America.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Meanwhile, in London...
A woman was left stunned after she viewed a room in a London flatshare - only to find out it was a cupboard under the stairs.

Alex Lomax found an advert for a “room” which costs £500 per month, posted by a private landlord on the website, London2Let.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Isn't that a cleaner version of where Harry Potter lived?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yep.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...