Beers

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Re: Beers

Post by Angharrad »

Jim wrote:Saying the two types of beer are beer and ale makes no sense. But to be totally honest... I really don't care. That is one of the reasons that I do not homebrew even though many of my friends do. I do not care how it is made or what it is called, I just care about the taste. I like to try (nearly) everything that I have never had before just to see how it tastes and feels. Drink what you like and let others drink what they like.

However... anyone ever have the Mamma Mia Pizza beer? Far and away the WORST beer that I have ever tasted. I am not willing to say the worst "thing" ever, but I will say the worst beer.
No but I tried lavender beer once. I was at a microbrewery in Lake Placid. :[
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Jim wrote:I do not care how it is made or what it is called, I just care about the taste.
It's a good attitude... except that how it's made has a drastic effect on the taste (and mouth feel, and ABV.) I don't like one beer over another because it's called a porter, or bock, or Scottish heavy, or whatever - but I like the taste of (for example) saisons over IPA's.
Jim wrote:However... anyone ever have the Mamma Mia Pizza beer? Far and away the WORST beer that I have ever tasted. I am not willing to say the worst "thing" ever, but I will say the worst beer.
I hate to keep picking on this one, but... don't you live where they make Iron City? :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:I hate to keep picking on this one, but... don't you live where they make Iron City? :P
Yes, but you don't understand... It is pure evil...

Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Angharrad wrote:No but I tried lavender beer once. I was at a microbrewery in Lake Placid. :[
Great film ;)
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Microbrewery:
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

So, back to Rinn Duin to try something else... my first experience with a Scottish 70-shilling. A very nice pale amber with a hugely thick head, very low hoppiness, and a full malty flavor. Not nearly as heavy as an Old Heavy, bock, or dubbel (as I was expecting from the term "Scottish") but with a very nice full body. Not available in bottles, but a new growler full graces my refrigerator.
as Bull offed Custer
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Thanks for the hint on that Untappd Ap, that's something I think I'll be getting some use of.

I don't know what sort of categories they fall under, but my usual tipple at my local is Newcastle Brown, and my favourite beer of all is Old Peculiar. If that means anything to anyone.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Iwent through a phase of Newcastle Brown in my university days. Great stuff! I've tried some Old Peculiar a few times, never much cared for it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I've been called Old Peculiar once or twice... but if you mean the beer Old Peculier, I haven't had it. I imagine it's similar in style to many English dark ales... hoppy, bracingly bitter, with a sort of doughy malt flavor underneath.

After another pull at the "Trinity" Scottish 70, I can't believe that this style is so little-known over here. It seems like it would appeal to the American palate greatly... it doesn't have the intense bitterness of many English or Scottish styles, the body is pleasantly full but not too heavy to drink very cold on a warm day, and it seems like it would pair well with a wide variety of American foods.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Remember that for some reason a vast number of Americans love IPAs. Hoppier the better. They don't know what they are doing.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Back before I drank I thought that Newcastle came from Newcastle PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh. Ah, the days of youth...

I bough 2 cases the other day as I was running low in the beer fridge. For those that might not know a case is (usually) 24 12oz bottles/cans, or 12 22oz/25oz bottles.

Anyway...

I went out on a limb and bought a case of something that I have never tried, never even seen before. It is an oatmeal stout called Couch Surfer, 5.4% from Otter Creek. It was a good call because it is quite good. The other is Tiny from Weyerbacher, 11.8%. I have had Tiny in the 25% cork&cage bottles, but this was 12oz bottles. The 12 oz bottle is more manageable at 11.8%. Excellent brew.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Otter Creek is good. Anything from Weyerbacher is good too but pricy and definitely high strength alcoholalcohol.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:Remember that for some reason a vast number of Americans love IPAs. Hoppier the better. They don't know what they are doing.
I've noticed, and I'm hard-pressed to understand the trend. Anyway, I'm digging this Socttish heavy (I've since learned about the nomenclature*) so much that in order to drain it before some warm weather returns, I've actually purchased extra glassware just for this stuff. I had no tulip glasses or beckers, and while the wee heavy is OK in a pub glass, it doesn't really do justice to the beautiful head it produces.

* Turns out that there is no difference between a Scottish heavy and a 70/-. Apparently, the old shilling naming convention translates into the various types of Scottish ales: 60/- = Scottish light; 7-/- = heavy (a.k.a. "wee heavy;) 80/- = export; and 90+ /- = so-called Scotch Ales.
as Bull offed Custer
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Griffin wrote:Thanks for the hint on that Untappd Ap, that's something I think I'll be getting some use of.

I don't know what sort of categories they fall under, but my usual tipple at my local is Newcastle Brown, and my favourite beer of all is Old Peculiar. If that means anything to anyone.
I'm Bella Foxx on Untappd, if anyone wants to see what I'm drinking. It's also a good way to keep track of recommendations.

I am also quite fond of Newcastle Brown, also Black Cabbie but I haven't seen that in a long time.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Angharrad wrote:
Griffin wrote:Thanks for the hint on that Untappd Ap, that's something I think I'll be getting some use of.

I'm Bella Foxx on Untappd, if anyone wants to see what I'm drinking. It's also a good way to keep track of recommendations.

I am also quite fond of Newcastle Brown, also Black Cabbie but I haven't seen that in a long time.
I think that I just sent you a friend request