Beers

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Beers

Post by Mikey »

Funny, the whole raison d'etre (lol sorry) for IPA's was to prevent beer from going bad. Hence the name; the lack of particulates/paleness, the dryness, and the strong use of dry hops was meant for the beer to keep on the sea journey from England to India. That said, I've never been a fan myself. I prefer German/eastern European styles - well-lagered bocks and doppelbocks, maibocks, and Czech pilsners, along with Belgian wits and weisses in the summer.

That said, the Scots do know how to make a nice old heavy for a cold winter day.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It split from Dr Who Season 9 ;) Which could be tasty in a whole different way.
email, ergo spam
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

I like porters and stouts, especially milk stouts. My favorites are Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro and Curley's Irish Stout.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Angharrad wrote:I like porters and stouts, especially milk stouts. My favorites are Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro and Curley's Irish Stout.
My kinda girl!

That is what is what I prefer as well. I went to this place called Monks Cafe in Philadelphia a few years ago and they had a Stout and Porter day. It was New Years Day. They had a special one which was a Smoked Sour Stout. It hit you like a ton of bricks at first. But it was awesome.

The other ones were good too.

I am not a fan of the bourbon cask beers. Smoked beers yes.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I think that IPAs taste like variants of grapefruit juice, and I hate grapefruit.

A good 85% of what I prefer to drink are stouts. Maybe 10% porters. The rest misc (browns, bocks, etc). I will try most any beer once though. I use untappd on my phone to keep track of what I do and don't like.

With dinner today I had one of my last Palo Santo bottles.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I like some porters, just not the overly-sweet ones.
Angharrad wrote: especially milk stouts.
I admit that of the variety, I'm partial to Murphy's Cream-Finished.
McAvoy wrote:I am not a fan of the bourbon cask beers. Smoked beers yes.
Interestingly I agree with you, which is weird since I'm a bourbon fan. I will certainly be trying the reverse - the new Jameson's that's finished in stout-seasoned casks.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The great thing too is NJ a couple of years back basically opened the floodgates for micro breweries to basically be on every corner (at least seems like it) in the state.

Hell Riverhorse moved from Lambertville to Ewing, my hometown. Rinn Duinn opened up in Freehold which is a good half hour away from me.

I also go Triumph in Princeton who makes an amazing Jewish Rye Ale that tastes straight up like Jewish Rye Bread. It's awesome.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rinn Duin? I didn't know there was one in Freehold - there's one in Toms River down the road from me. Other than that, there's: 902, Angry Erik, Beach Haus (down the shore here, naturally,) Belford, BOAKS, Bolero Snort, Brix City, Backward Flag, Cape May, Carton, Climax, Conclave, Cricket Hill, Cypress, Demented, Departed Soles, Flounder, Forgotten Boardwalk, Flying Fish, Glasstown, High Point, Kane, Little Dog, Lunacy, Man Skirt, Magnify, New Jersey Beer, Pinelands, Screamin' Hill, Spellbound, Third State, Tuckahoe, Two Ton, and Village Idiot. And that's just the craft breweries - the microbreweries are all over. Triumph is one of my favorites too - their Oktoberfest/maibock is phenomenal - as is Harvest Moon in New Brunswick, whose oatmeal stout is just about as addictive as crack.

*EDIT* Of course, there is a growing tradition of some decent-to-very-good wineries in New Jersey (Cream Ridge makes a 100% mango wine that goes down easier than water and works as either a table wine or dessert wine) and - very interesting to me, though I haven't tried any yet - thanks to the recent new law, there are over 10 (I believe) craft distilleries in the state.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

This would be a bad moment to mention being nigh on tea-total* wouldn't it... :poke:

*for our American friend's an abstainer from alcohol.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Reliant121 wrote:This would be a bad moment to mention being nigh on tea-total* wouldn't it... :poke:

*for our American friend's an abstainer from alcohol.
I didn't drink alcohol until my mid 30's
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I did drink it. I used to drink quite a bit of it. Sadly I'm both terrible at at and I don't really enjoy the taste or sensation of alcohol and the effect it has on us.

Very occasionally I'll go through a bottle of wine but no more than once or twice a year perhaps.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:Rinn Duin? I didn't know there was one in Freehold - there's one in Toms River down the road from me. Other than that, there's: 902, Angry Erik, Beach Haus (down the shore here, naturally,) Belford, BOAKS, Bolero Snort, Brix City, Backward Flag, Cape May, Carton, Climax, Conclave, Cricket Hill, Cypress, Demented, Departed Soles, Flounder, Forgotten Boardwalk, Flying Fish, Glasstown, High Point, Kane, Little Dog, Lunacy, Man Skirt, Magnify, New Jersey Beer, Pinelands, Screamin' Hill, Spellbound, Third State, Tuckahoe, Two Ton, and Village Idiot. And that's just the craft breweries - the microbreweries are all over. Triumph is one of my favorites too - their Oktoberfest/maibock is phenomenal - as is Harvest Moon in New Brunswick, whose oatmeal stout is just about as addictive as crack.

*EDIT* Of course, there is a growing tradition of some decent-to-very-good wineries in New Jersey (Cream Ridge makes a 100% mango wine that goes down easier than water and works as either a table wine or dessert wine) and - very interesting to me, though I haven't tried any yet - thanks to the recent new law, there are over 10 (I believe) craft distilleries in the state.

My sister lives near DC... if you can just go to all of those places (except Flying Fish, I have seen their bottles) and get bottles of their stouts and then next time I am visiting we could meet in somewhere like Newark DE and I could get all of that from you... that would be greeaaat... thanks.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Reliant121 wrote:I did drink it. I used to drink quite a bit of it. Sadly I'm both terrible at at and I don't really enjoy the taste or sensation of alcohol and the effect it has on us.

Very occasionally I'll go through a bottle of wine but no more than once or twice a year perhaps.

Before my heart attack I had a beer group and our motto was "If you like it, drink it" and that was in reference to not letting anyone tell you that you are wrong (or right) for what you like to drink. From the rarest "white whale" brew to the nastiest cat piss swill... if YOU like it tell everyone else to get bent. That extended to non-beer drinkers too as we had a few people come to meetups that didn't drink but came to see what we do.
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Jim wrote:I think that IPAs taste like variants of grapefruit juice, and I hate grapefruit.

A good 85% of what I prefer to drink are stouts. Maybe 10% porters. The rest misc (browns, bocks, etc). I will try most any beer once though. I use untappd on my phone to keep track of what I do and don't like.

With dinner today I had one of my last Palo Santo bottles.
I use untappd on my phone also. I also use it to keep track of recommendations from friends. I find its a very useful app.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

A while ago I did have a Stout that was brewed with tea. It's amazing.